Opinions on automotive strut makers | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Opinions on automotive strut makers

Yes, there is a point to virtual-pivot-point steering, but I'm not so sure it's worth the grief. The VW Passat B5 (same as Audi underneath) has the same issues. They drive very nicely but front end parts don't stand up and there's more bits and pieces involved. The tie rods are up high because with the lengthwise engine/transmission, the steering rack has to be up high to go across the top of the transmission. I'm not sure why this has anything to do with holding the inner tie rod in place while fiddling with the jam nuts ... that's the same whether the steering rack is up high or down low.

Haha, thank God I slowly move away from these vehicles

I put together a collection of youtube vids on replacing the control arms. Doesn't look too bad but yeah, that pinch bolt. I'll start soaking everything in penetrant today.

Unfortunately all of the forum write-ups I found are missing the pics thanks to photobucket.

Rockerguy, lol just like meeting a bear, back away slowly then turn and run...

The car's a tank in the winter, that's why I'm holding on to it, but I agree that they can be frustrating/costly to diagnose and keep running. Only thing is, I wouldn't know what to replace it with other than another quattro.

Btw good luck with the pinch bolts.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

I put together a collection of youtube vids on replacing the control arms. Doesn't look too bad but yeah, that pinch bolt. I'll start soaking everything in penetrant today.

Unfortunately all of the forum write-ups I found are missing the pics thanks to photobucket.

Rockerguy, lol just like meeting a bear, back away slowly then turn and run...

The car's a tank in the winter, that's why I'm holding on to it, but I agree that they can be frustrating/costly to diagnose and keep running. Only thing is, I wouldn't know what to replace it with other than another quattro.

I have the spreader if you want to borrow it. If that is the pinch daught is talking about, this make things easy.

strut-spreader.jpg

I'm talking about the upper control arm pinch bolt. They can be hard to take out to downright brutal. My bolt head broke. Because of the knuckle shape you can't hammer the bolt out. My control arms were good so I did not want to heat them. I ended up pulling the pinch bolt out by tightening the nut, backing it out and adding a wrench as a spacer, repeat.

01982d6c4fb96ebe177047ea791abb5f.jpg

I'm talking about the upper control arm pinch bolt. They can be hard to take out to downright brutal. My bolt head broke. Because of the knuckle shape you can't hammer the bolt out. My control arms were good so I did not want to heat them. I ended up pulling the pinch bolt out by tightening the nut, backing it out and adding a wrench as a spacer, repeat.

01982d6c4fb96ebe177047ea791abb5f.jpg

Looks like fun :/

Christ. Can the knuckle be removed to work on it if it gets that bad?

Christ. Can the knuckle be removed to work on it if it gets that bad?

It's not that hard to remove the knuckle. You don't have to remove the pinch bolt to do the struts. Alternatively you can remove the two control arm bolts in the back that attaches them to the strut plate. Considering you are doing all your control arms you will have to remove the pinch bolt, but with all the control arms coming out you won't be far from being able to remove the knuckle. I would not worry that much, you are replacing everything so you can heat up the bolts. I had a harder than usual pinch bolt.

I recommend an air hammer to remove the control arms after you get the pinch bolts out. There's not much space to hammer on them, the air hammer pops them right out.

BTW my experience is with a B6... what do you have?

It's a B6 as well. I have air, so I'll see about an air hammer.

It's a B6 as well. I have air, so I'll see about an air hammer.
Oh might also need a pass through socket set to properly tighten the strut nut. Where you at? I can lend you the air hammer and the pass through sockets.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm at the southernmost end of the 401. I'll see what's on Amazon.

Does buying an Audi come with a Mechanic's certificate? Because after a while, you will be certified!

I'll show myself out

Does buying an Audi come with a Mechanic's certificate? Because after a while, you will be certified!

I'll show myself out
I rather deal with a lifting the engine to replace a clogged oil pick up tube than wash a civic

They really aren't that bad. With parts from the us and a good mechanic or diy skills they are great fun/comfort vs money and time invested. I don't have brand loyalties, but AWD manual wagon options are very limited.

The tie rods are up high because with the lengthwise engine/transmission, the steering rack has to be up high to go across the top of the transmission. I'm not sure why this has anything to do with holding the inner tie rod in place while fiddling with the jam nuts ... that's the same whether the steering rack is up high or down low.
Not true. My BMW has the engine and transmission mounted the same way and the steering rack is under the engine making the tie rods very accessible. The reason having the tie rods up high is a pain is when the car is on an alignment rack it's above you, with the wheels on it. Loosening the jam nut on a regular hoist with the wheels off is easy, rack with wheels on, not as nice. It does make a difference.

My wife's is a Quattro B6 as well, though not a wagon.

Station wagon, awd, and manual...BMW, Subaru, and VAG. I just checked and Volvo is off the list for manual trans.

Back
Top Bottom