oilmat/driveway dent protection | GTAMotorcycle.com

oilmat/driveway dent protection

JP0160

So I moved earlier this year, now I'm parking the bike on the asphalt most of the time instead of gravel. The kickstand has started to put a few dents into the ground and I feel this is going to get worse over the summer. I've also got lots of drips and stains from lubing chain and cleaning things. I've seen the little plastic feet they have for the kickstands, but I am looking for something big enough to park the bike on top of (preferably around 3'x6') that will withstand the rain and sun, save my driveway from kickstand dents, and maybe soak up any oil/lube drips. I've got a piece of 3/16" interior mdf I was gonna paint with a few thick coats of black exterior enamel but I think it will still just deteriorate after the first few rains. Anyone have any suggestions?

And whats a good scrubbable/power washer driveway cleaner I can pick up locally? Hopefully anything from CT will do the trick.

Ply will last more than a year (I expect your mdf would last less than a week). I'm not convinced about this plan though. You may end up with a big rectangle where the board was (either from lack of sun or constant trapped moisture).

Maybe rip the ply into 2'x4' strips, roll the bike up beside the strip and lean it over onto the strip. Move the strip around every week or so.

Personally I just left a kickstand plate in the driveway (looked like a plastic coaster) and used that.

for the kick stand get one of these

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

use some cardboard beneath the bike, or get a black plastic garbage bag, or a recycle bag and place under bike when doing maintenance to catch the drippings and such, then roll up and toss

or the next can of beer, or pop you have, crush it flat and use it under your kickstand.....

The ultimate would be to pick up a couple of 4'x2' pieces of aluminum diamond plate from Metal Supermarket, but that would run you something north of $300.00. Plain aluminum sheet would be somewhat less expensive, but wouldn't have the same slip-stop.

mdf will last a few weeks, there is a sheet leaning agianst the house from a reno thats been there about 4 wks. Its intact but damaged. Aluminum checker plate is nice but its slippery when wet.
Go buy a sheet of 3/4 EXTERIOR ply, sheathing grade. Its not slippery, cut it to size, its about $40 for a 4x8. get 3/4 so it lays flat and doesnt blow away. Finding out a sheet blows away and damages your nieghbors car would suck.

A cheapo fix would also be old car floormats that people regularly toss out in the trash by car washes and gas stations.
Minor damage should it get tossed by the wind.
Will limit the depressions in asphalt.
Catch drips, etc.

I'd go with a coaster or whatever I have kicking around the house for the kickstand and use some cardboard when lubing the chain.

If you feel you need to part with some money for this buy a handful of garage tiles (usually 12x12") and put together the 3x6 parking spot your looking for.

Princess Auto has a 31-1/2 x 45 in. ribbed runner floor mat on sale for $10.00 at the moment. That should work in this application.
That's pretty close to what I'm looking for. I'll end up making a kickstand pad from some nice hardwood laying around. For the record I've been doing the cardboard trick but I tend to run my chain super hot before I lube and it drips for a while after I lube it. Then I forget the cardboard and it rains, gets soaked and useless, its just a PITA. The rubber mat lets me be lazy!

Last edited:
Interesting. Do you have any more info on these or possibly a link?

just go to Ebay and in the search bar put in something like this

motorcycle kickstand aluminum pad

and you will see many, you can be specific with make and model of bike as well

I got mine out of China 7 bucks shipped, works great...got a black one so it's not so obvious and it don't stick out like a sore thumb, has been on the bike since last year, still solid, I did use a touch of loctite on each screw...

Last edited:
I picked up some of the square plastic interlocking draining tile from PA, made a 3x6 parking spot and a thin rubber mat to lay out when doing work. I ended up picking up a plastic kickstand pad for $6 at Royal. Everything actually works out great and it looks nice and tidy, I'm happy. Total cost about 30$ and no more worries about drips and dents. The tile forms to the ground nice and I'm not worried about it blowing away, should drain nicely too.

Back
Top Bottom