Recommendations needed: Movers | GTAMotorcycle.com

Recommendations needed: Movers

Jenerator

Older than dirt.
Site Supporter
Looking for your valued input, GTAMers!

We're in need of movers to efficiently get our house full of stuff from Brampton to (almost) Kingston near the end of this month. Who would you recommend we use?

Thanks!
Jen

Not two men and a truck. They literally stole furniture from friends during their move.

Really...I just filled out their form to get a quote! :lmao:
Don't think the same would happen to us if we're following the truck the entire way, though. :)

no good recommendations, but I would suggest you avoid Bedwell out of Pickering,
used to work on the same street as them and often they had customers picketing
the entrance as their stuff had been kept until extra fees paid

I used Allied Van Lines 2 years ago to locate from East to NW Ontario
mixed experience, because it was a long move > 2000 km
it involved 2 Allied franchise owners...first one GTA based was very
dependable and communicated well, second Allied franchise based in Thunder Bay
ended up with my stuff because of a snow storm and was a total PITA
ended up having to give the crook a cash bribe to get my stuff to the house

if ever I need to do this again think I'll go the 2 Men and a Truck routine,
no contract, pay them by the hour and supervise the move myself

industry is notorious for shady characters, good luck

Really...I just filled out their form to get a quote! :lmao:
Don't think the same would happen to us if we're following the truck the entire way, though. :)

Apparently the movers gave off a distinct unfriendly vibe (they described them as ex-con/enforcer) and when my friends tried to check the back of the truck to make sure it was empty they were told that that wasn't going to happen and they should go back inside. My friends thought that if they pushed, the guys would just come back and steal more from them later, obviously they knew where they lived, the layout and the locations that would probably contain valuables. Now you will probably not get these same employees and may have no problems, but I question a company that hires scary people in essentially customer service roles.

When our office moved years ago, we used a company that appeared reputable. When they showed up moving day there was 1 person from the moving company and a half dozen they picked up at labour ready that morning (and they definitely weren't employees I would have picked).

It seems like the majority of movers operate very poorly. Hopefully someone chimes in with a positive experience.

I rented 2 "POD"s and had 2 men and a truck load the pods, and then come back a few days later to the new address and unload.

Stuff never left my sight, I supervised the load and unload, paid by the hour.

If they didn't show up (usual occurrence with movers), no big deal, i get on the phone and call any other company since I am not crunched to do everything the same day.

If I ever have to do it again (which i won't for a very long time) I would call a recruiting company and hire general labour for a day, cheaper than a moving company.

This way I was always in control and gave me the freedom to load some stuff myself if I wanted to.

the POD company was great, the only ****** part is they give you a pretty big window the days they are picking up and dropping, wish their window was smaller so I could plan better.

Apparently the movers gave off a distinct unfriendly vibe (they described them as ex-con/enforcer) and when my friends tried to check the back of the truck to make sure it was empty they were told that that wasn't going to happen and they should go back inside. My friends thought that if they pushed, the guys would just come back and steal more from them later, obviously they knew where they lived, the layout and the locations that would probably contain valuables. Now you will probably not get these same employees and may have no problems, but I question a company that hires scary people in essentially customer service roles.

When our office moved years ago, we used a company that appeared reputable. When they showed up moving day there was 1 person from the moving company and a half dozen they picked up at labour ready that morning (and they definitely weren't employees I would have picked).

It seems like the majority of movers operate very poorly. Hopefully someone chimes in with a positive experience.

Thanks for that...I guess there are crazies in every profession. :/

I rented 2 "POD"s and had 2 men and a truck load the pods, and then come back a few days later to the new address and unload.

Stuff never left my sight, I supervised the load and unload, paid by the hour.

If they didn't show up (usual occurrence with movers), no big deal, i get on the phone and call any other company since I am not crunched to do everything the same day.

If I ever have to do it again (which i won't for a very long time) I would call a recruiting company and hire general labour for a day, cheaper than a moving company.

This way I was always in control and gave me the freedom to load some stuff myself if I wanted to.

the POD company was great, the only ****** part is they give you a pretty big window the days they are picking up and dropping, wish their window was smaller so I could plan better.

I originally wanted to use PODS but they don't service the area we're going to. They recommended another similar service that does, but we're now looking for others to do the lifting/moving. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with non-movers, simply because we need to ensure that the truck(s) are loaded as efficiently and safely as possible. It's a 3-hour drive to where we're going, and we don't have the opportunity to go back and get things that didn't fit in the truck.

The moving business is one of the slimier ones out there!

However, I used 2 Men and a Truck for my last move 18 months ago and they were surprisingly professional and efficient. I was on top of the entire move from start to finish.

Last time I moved I rented a truck and hired movers to load my truck (not theirs) and then meet me at the next location to unload my truck.

Kept my stuff in my custody the entire time. Worked well but I had to do my own packing etc.

Do you have a set date? You could try calling some Kingston, Napanee or Bellville movers to see when they are in the GTA next, having a full truck on the way home might be attractive for them and cheaper for you.

We will be doing the packing ourselves...just looking to have it all moved by someone else. Our bodies just can't handle the physical aspect of it.

Moving to the east end of Ganaraska Forrest in September (dirtbike from the backyard booyah!) and we'll likely borrow a enclosed trailer and get movers to load/unload it.
Same as said above, if you can keep the items in your possession and supervise it can make a world of difference.

Stay away from frank the mover.

Used North American van lines, worth every penny

Used North American 10 years ago. Top notice service, very professional. Employer moved me at their expense. They did everything so, it was on the spendy side. If I was to move, I'd contact them for a quote. With them just having to load and transport and unload.

Hired a reputable company, which sub contracted the move to a less reputable firm, which then subbed it again. Two guys showed up. They were supposed to pick up others to help, on the way. The really old driver didn't want to lift anything and got into a screaming match with the young guy at 2 am. Apparently, he was in a rush to get to Thunder Bay. I'm not sure what you can do to prevent sub contracts, but I'd try next time. Wife couldn't find a couple of watches a few months after the move, but she is known to lose them.

Last edited:
I just factor the cost of a real mover into my real estate transaction. Atlas , United Vans lines, Mayflower ect. Insured and bonded, usually show up on time and stuff arrives unscathed. And no "we'll need another $1000cash to complete the delivery crap"

jewelery, sterling silverware, camera gear all just stays in prepacked boxes with the room number they are to go into printed on top. My wife arrives and puts numbers on the wall beside every room.

I know its different for everybody, for us if quality guy is 5k and Fred is 2,500. I'm paying the 5g. 100k+ worth of furniture,tools,electronics I just dont need the hassle.

I just factor the cost of a real mover into my real estate transaction. Atlas , United Vans lines, Mayflower ect. Insured and bonded, usually show up on time and stuff arrives unscathed. And no "we'll need another $1000cash to complete the delivery crap"

jewelery, sterling silverware, camera gear all just stays in prepacked boxes with the room number they are to go into printed on top. My wife arrives and puts numbers on the wall beside every room.

I know its different for everybody, for us if quality guy is 5k and Fred is 2,500. I'm paying the 5g. 100k+ worth of furniture,tools,electronics I just dont need the hassle.

Pay the reputable large company . The extra 500 will save you many head aches in the end . Just think how much of a head ache it will be if your stuff is delayed a couple of days .

Our "reputable" company took a cut and then subbed it out, so that doesn't always work.

Last time I moved I rented a truck from uhaul. On the website it lets you hire movers for the job at the start and you can hire movers at the new home. You only pay if you are satisfied. It goes through the uhaul app.

Very satisfied. No shenanigans or hostage holding. Very professionally done. If you aren't happy you don't pay.

Back
Top Bottom