What are some good areas to practice emergency braking? | GTAMotorcycle.com

What are some good areas to practice emergency braking?

AES

Hello,

first off I am new to the forums, so what's up!

I checked around and didn't find a similar thread, so I figured I would ask here. If this is the wrong section, please let me know.

My question is, what is a good area in Toronto/Scarborough/Pickering to practice emergency breaking? (i.e. large, well paved parking lots)

I have been riding around 3 weeks now, and have only been on the highway twice. I feel comfortable, and my bike is equipped with ABS, but I would still like to be able to practice braking at high speeds and learn how to do it properly. ABS should be there to kick in when I need it, not when I want it :)

I would like to find a spot where I can progressively go faster, up to 100km/h and practice my technique.

Any recommendations?

Regards,

AES

Any big box store in the suburbs (Walmart, Canadian Tire, Home Depot, etc etc) should have a pretty sizable parking lot, you just have to find a time when there aren't many cars/people nearby. Usually late in the evening, or early on weekends.

Good attitude. I can't help you with a location.

ABS is a great idea on street bikes, just do a bit of research before clamping down on the brakes and hoping for the best. I believe some ABS systems only activate over something like 15 km/h. If you try your first test too slow, you may dump it. Find out if your bike has a similar limitation.

Once you are happy with the braking on good pavement, find a crappier parking lot and practice more as not all roads are nicely paved.

Go bus lot at Brock road and 407 is pretty clean and fairly new. Also fairly quiet on the weekend

Country back road, practicing 0-100-0 in a parking lot is guaranteed to get the cops called. Do it in a more sparse area trying to avoid zipping by houses, and away from any intersection where an unexpected cager will try to turn in front of you.

Do not do it in the city, or especially at night, getting a bike to 100 is not a quiet endeavor and people WILL get ****** off and call the cops.

Sudden idea, have some fun with it. Go to TMP on test and tune days. I haven't been in a while, price may have changed, but last time I went it was $20 for vehicle and driver for the whole day. 1/4 Mile track, make as many passes as you want, in a safe environment with EMS on hand.

Edit: Damn it has been a while I guess, costs $50 now, still fun though. https://torontomotorsportspark.com/dragway/

Last edited:
You don't have to go that fast to practice emergency braking.

All the components are there at lower speeds, and a mistake at 40 kph may be a lot less costly than one at 100 kph.

Go train parking lots on weekends, ttc parking lots off hours or their secondary lots, school parking lots etc
As always, scout out the surface from a few directions before grabbing a fistful.

Back
Top Bottom