Bike ran out of oil... while riding... so what now? :( | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bike ran out of oil... while riding... so what now? :(

I have a 2008 Kawasaki ninja 250

did an oil change. Then next day went for a ride and bike came to a stop on the highway!!!!

sooo I figured out where the oil leak came from... (silver hole)... hole is beside the oil filter mount, not the oil drain plug either...anyone know what the hole is called? And why is it leaking from there?

imagejpeg

Thanks

Take it to someone who knows what they're doing, it sounds like you're in way over your head.

Neither of the images are working (at least for me)

Still can't see your images.

Either way, you probably want to start looking for a used engine, as yours is probably toast and even just verifying that it's toast could be expensive

Either way, you probably want to start looking for a used engine, as yours is probably toast and even just verifying that it's toast could be expensive

Yeah unless you're pulling and inspecting yourself, it's probably way cheaper to just get a used engine and getting it put in

Try just posting the link to the picture rather than imbedding it in your post.

We can figure it out/embed it for you.

You can upload your pic here as well.. http://imgur.com/upload

Last edited:
download.jpg

That Silver circle beside the oil drain plug?

Your pictures are not showing.

So many questions:
- Who did the oil change? you? have you done it before?
- How do you know the bike ran out of oil?
- When you say the bike came to a stop in the HWY? did you hear a metal sound, some kind of cracking noise, gears grinding? did you have any lights in the dashboard before it stopped? or it just shut offs and made no sound?
- When you say oil is coming out of that Silver hole, is there a crack once you clean the area?
- It could be the screws for the oil drain plug (the bolt is on a cover with 4 screws) are lose, try tightening them down and see if they are lose... don't go to hard.
- Could also most likely be that you didn't tight the bolts for the oil filter cover properly and the oil is coming out of there and sliding down to that silver hole making it look like is coming out of there.

Please answer each question so I can try and give you a hand.

None of your pictures are working.

If a shop did the oil change I'd be bugging them for a new engine. You'll likely need a lawyer.

Otherwise a used engine or new bike should be in your plans.

Easy cowboy, step one is bringing to a mechanic, not start looking for an engine.

So you ran completely out of oil to the point the bike stopped running? I think you have bigger issues than just figuring out what the hole the oil came out is.

Do you mean the hole with the allen head bolt visible by the filter in the image @ http://www.hickmans.us/ninja250/2008/oil_drain_02.jpg ?

Jeff

did an oil change. Then next day went for a ride and bike came to a stop on the highway!!!!

sooo I figured out where the oil leak came from... (silver hole)... hole is beside the oil filter mount, not the oil drain plug either...anyone know what the hole is called? And why is it leaking from there?

imagejpeg

Thanks

As suspected the oil is not coming out of the silver hole. you didn't tight the oil filter cover properly (or whomever did the oil change)

If it was a shop, bring it back there (don't ride it if you get it working)
If it was a friend then go back and answer all my questions above.

Not sure if you're making this judgement based on the photo, but if you are, this was a pic pulled off google from a post in 2008 (http://www.kawiforums.com/archive/index.php/t-113982.html)

https://www.google.ca/search?q=ninj...nja+250+2008+drain+bolt&imgrc=ggSwITlLFzEdXM:

+1 If there's no oil in it now, it's hard to figure out where it leaked from. As stated, chances are the filter cover wasn't tightened properly. Who did the oil change? Was the bike run just after to check for leaks?

imagejpeg

Thanks

oil change done, gone for a ride the next day....

and there was not a puddle of oil on the floor under your bike ? surely there was some oil on the floor beneath your bike....

once stopped on the highway did you see oil anywhere else on the bike, like on the rear wheel, rim, kick stand, inner fender, any oil anywhere ?

does no one do a walk around their bike before heading out on it anymore....?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom