Sick person in Oakville stringing line to decapitate riders | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sick person in Oakville stringing line to decapitate riders

Interesting contrast.

1- A thief is hurt by a booby trap during a break and enter, then when the homeowner gets charged with something like reckless endangerment people say "but he was a thief!!!"

2- A biker trespasses and finds a possibly lethal trap in his way, then when no suspect can be found and the cops warn against trespassing, people say "but my safety!!!"

Morally I have no problems with traps designed to strongly discourage behaviour (eg bear spray, dye spray, room that locks and calls 911 etc.). When traps start killing people, that grossly exceeds the negative impact caused by their actions (thief or trespasser).

I have no problem with the rider being charged with trespassing if that is appropriate (private property, signage etc) but they shouldn't be seriously physically harmed for what is essentially a property crime.

Interesting contrast.

1- A thief is hurt by a booby trap during a break and enter, then when the homeowner gets charged with something like reckless endangerment people say "but he was a thief!!!"

2- A biker trespasses and finds a possibly lethal trap in his way, then when no suspect can be found and the cops warn against trespassing, people say "but my safety!!!"

The actual charge is "Laying in wait." You cannot even trap your personal property, let alone what sounds like a public park.

• 247 (1) Every one is guilty of an indictable offence and is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years, who with intent to cause death or bodily harm to a person, whether ascertained or not,
    • (a) sets or places a trap, device or other thing that is likely to cause death or bodily harm to a person; or
    • (b) being in occupation or possession of a place, knowingly permits such a trap, device or other thing to remain in that place.

I don't think its actually a public park, its fairly open access, but it has a connection to the Ukrainian community center and there is a cemetary there someplace.
Sadly in Ontario much like the US you can sue for things like this, there was a very popular old brickyard in north brampton where lots of kids dirt biked, it was posted, but mostly nobody cared much. Until a kid hit a fence and his family sued the City of Brampton.

The intent is not exactly the same in your 2 scenarios.

Also, considering that this is a motorcycle forum, obviously people will feel partial.

I'm sure that on a thief forum, the reaction would be different.
As per Rob, in the eyes of the law the intent is the same. We don't allow people to hurt or kill others in our society, the only excuse being accidents, self-defence, and presumably the protection of another life (dunno how the law deals with that one).

Also, what's right and wrong doesn't change whether you're a righteous biker or a wrongful thief. And while I'm sure everyone here is on 'team bikers' and not on 'team thieves', judgement on right ad wrong has nothing to do with which team we're on either.

I don't think its actually a public park, its fairly open access, but it has a connection to the Ukrainian community center and there is a cemetary there someplace.
Sadly in Ontario much like the US you can sue for things like this, there was a very popular old brickyard in north brampton where lots of kids dirt biked, it was posted, but mostly nobody cared much. Until a kid hit a fence and his family sued the City of Brampton.

sadly you can sue? This is a trap designed to harm people-sue them to bankruptcy. This sort of thing is also done to sledders. A homeowner in elliot lake once did this and was visited by a mob of sledders -he never put up another line (which was actually on crown land bordering his property). Elliot lake had over 2000 miners at the time. miners are a tight knit group; they depend on each other every work day. When a outlaw bike club moved into town - 100's of miners showed up at their watering hole (a bar) and confronted them to leave town. They left and never returned.

Faack the negligent ******* .... all he would have to do was mark the line with bright orange ribbon to make it safe...

Last edited:

wtf has brampton got to do with someone setting up a trap to case harm or death to an individual?

Last edited:
I asked the gf (in the know on Ukrainian things) and that property is apparently owned by the Shevchenko Museum and was a memorial park of some significance to their community.

OP, I get that your ******, The officer should have taken your complaint much mire seriously.

Having said that, be cautious, about a couple of things. 1 running to the media, and stating your son was trespassing, could entice the property owners to request charges. 2. ESPECIALLY after you were advised by an officer that it was private property, that your son was trespassing upon, and you then say he went back to check for more lines.

As for the park being a "public park" or private property. ALL "public parks" are still private property, (they are owned by the various levels of Gov't), hence why a person can be banned form entering a park. In this case it appears to be private park land or setting. Just as a shopping mall, "invites" the public to attend it is still private property.

Decades ago, you would see universities, in Ontario erect barriers at their road access points for a 24 hour period. They did this to ensure everyone knew it was private property, and as such they could restrict access. They are no longer required to do so, now they just have signs advising such.

Now that you are aware that it is private property and that someone, (likely connected with the ownership entity), doesn't want bikes in there the best advice is find somewhere else for your son to ride, to prevent a potential charge as well as for his own safety. I understand, likely no where else close by, but the owners, don't want him, (or anyone else on a bike on THEIR property, so their wishes must be respected).

OP, I get that your ******, The officer should have taken your complaint much mire seriously.

Having said that, be cautious, about a couple of things. 1 running to the media, and stating your son was trespassing, could entice the property owners to request charges. 2. ESPECIALLY after you were advised by an officer that it was private property, that your son was trespassing upon, and you then say he went back to check for more lines.

As for the park being a "public park" or private property. ALL "public parks" are still private property, (they are owned by the various levels of Gov't), hence why a person can be banned form entering a park. In this case it appears to be private park land or setting. Just as a shopping mall, "invites" the public to attend it is still private property.

Decades ago, you would see universities, in Ontario erect barriers at their road access points for a 24 hour period. They did this to ensure everyone knew it was private property, and as such they could restrict access. They are no longer required to do so, now they just have signs advising such.

Now that you are aware that it is private property and that someone, (likely connected with the ownership entity), doesn't want bikes in there the best advice is find somewhere else for your son to ride, to prevent a potential charge as well as for his own safety. I understand, likely no where else close by, but the owners, don't want him, (or anyone else on a bike on THEIR property, so their wishes must be respected).

All well and fine as you assume its the land owner protecting their land but what if is some random nut setting all this up? I am sure if it was the land owner his first steps would be signs, then call the cops... I think that would be worth perusing. As for land owner pressing charges they will have to prove it was posted "No trespassing" and seeing as most know it as a park ans use it as such they would be string up more dust from other users as well. This is a serous topic. You think if the person that set it up sees it down they will stop? No they will set it up again for someone else to get hurt or killed.

According to Google Streetview, the entrance to the park off Dundas is gated.

Also nobody is claiming that the wire, if deliberate, is justified. It's so obviously senseless and criminal that it's not worth debating. But that doesn't validate the biker's trespassing.

I believe that you're thinking of the kid who, with his friend, went through a break in the fence with their dirtbikes and went riding in Chassel's (sp) Pit, way back when. The owners kept fixing the fence and maintained the "no tresspassing" signs, but people kept knocking down the fence. This place could be seen from Queen/Highway 7 just west of Dixie Rd. He crashed among the rocks, broke his neck, and became a quadriplegic. The family sued and won a judgment for $2.5M but figured that wasn't enough, so they appealed. They lost. Got nothing. Never should have one in the first place. I lived walking distance away from it when it happened.

As per Rob, in the eyes of the law the intent is the same. We don't allow people to hurt or kill others in our society, the only excuse being accidents, self-defence, and presumably the protection of another life (dunno how the law deals with that one).

Also, what's right and wrong doesn't change whether you're a righteous biker or a wrongful thief. And while I'm sure everyone here is on 'team bikers' and not on 'team thieves', judgement on right ad wrong has nothing to do with which team we're on either.

Imagine if it was a firefighter or a bike cop who got his top taken off, while responding to a call. That's part of the logic behind the charge.

FFS!, when some pooch eats poison in the park, you have seen the uproar right?

Use Social Media to your advantage if the cops have just shoo you away. Contact your local Councillor, get the media involved, get more attention to it .

Guys, Let me first thank everyone for your input and clarify what my intent was by publishing this post:

1. I believe that the Police should have taken this more seriously. I know that this is a devastated Ukrainian memorial park of some sort and that the gate was locked and that my son was trespassing but nevertheless it is a popular place among the locals who take their kids there and ride a bike or a dirt bike. Teenagers go there and hang out all the time. Someone can get hurt by deliberate actions of a sicko. I'm not saying that it is the owner but someone put up that snag line so the police should investigate it before anyone gets seriously hurt even if only by contacting the owner and informing them of the situation and asking them to put up NO TRESPASSING signs or better securing the gate.

2. I posted this information so that other fellow riders, who may ride there from time to time be aware of the danger.

Thanks,

According to Google Streetview, the entrance to the park off Dundas is gated.

Also nobody is claiming that the wire, if deliberate, is justified. It's so obviously senseless and criminal that it's not worth debating. But that doesn't validate the biker's trespassing.

This.

Did you contact the Oakville police station on Dundas at 6th line? It is their jurisdiction. They might be more inclined to act on your concerns.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Also did you contact St Voldomyr Cultural Centre across the street? Maybe some kids with no common sense did this for a prank. I would think they would not want an accident on their property...from a visitor or trespasser.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Back
Top Bottom