Night riding 2: convert stock H7 bulbs to plug and play LEDs .... | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Night riding 2: convert stock H7 bulbs to plug and play LEDs ....

I think you're confusing bulb swapping and actual retrofitting of the correct projector housing for HID bulbs. Big difference.

I was talking about just putting a HID into the standard halogen housing, yes. That was what Hyperion was suggesting, however.

HID's are great if they're in a proper housing. Just stuffing a HID a factory halogen housing results in a ****** result.

On another note, my Amazon bulb arrived this evening as promised.

led1.jpg

led2.jpg

I installed it this eve, but didn't ride with it - too tired after a long day at work and then a family function afterwards. It *seems* brighter and crisper in the garage, but of course only a ride will tell the story. Tomorrow evening probably as long as it's not raining.

I hate the idea of people playing around with their lights. Worst case scenario, you blind someone and a fatal accident occurs.

There are too many people on motorcycles who seem to unknowingly have high beams on all the time. I'll leave it at that.

Cyclops adventure sports LED's get good reviews. I have one but haven't tried it yet. https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/4000-Lumen-H7-LED-Headlight-Bulb_p_86.html

I have these as high and low beams on my bike. Massive light output from them and much better than OEM but....even though I've aimed the beam as low as I can for the low beam I'm not happy with the cut off, to me it's still a little high. I'm considering putting a high quality halogen bulb back in the low beam and keeping the high beam as LED. If you can get a decent cut off and aiming go for it.

One other thought...just in case you have a CANBUS system controlling the low and high beams you may need a resistor in there with the LED bulb to replicate the current draw.

I was talking about just putting a HID into the standard halogen housing, yes. That was what Hyperion was suggesting, however.

HID's are great if they're in a proper housing. Just stuffing a HID a factory halogen housing results in a ****** result.

Not how I read it.. Anyway, a quick glance at his site, and from memory of his other contributions, that's not what he's suggesting imho

Not how I read it.. Anyway, a quick glance at his site, and from memory of his other contributions, that's not what he's suggesting imho
I'm not sure how he read that I said to put hid's in a halogen reflector. I don't even have hid's in my car or motorcycle and I have like 200 pairs on hand.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I'm not sure how he read that I said to put hid's in a halogen reflector.

Went back and read it again, sorry my mistake. BTW the link you posted in that reply doesn't work.

Anyhow, as for riding tonight to checkout the new LED...well....rain. :rolleyes:

i installed it this eve, but didn't ride with it - too tired after a long day at work and then a family function afterwards. It *seems* brighter and crisper in the garage, but of course only a ride will tell the story. Tomorrow evening probably as long as it's not raining.

Were u able to test the Led. How was the result?

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Last edited:
Were u able to test the Led. How was the result?

I did get to test it last night, yes.

First off, before I go any further, I ordered the wrong bulb. Now read the rest.

It was good. It wasn't spectacular because, well, I ordered the wrong bulb as mentioned, and I didn't notice it until yesterday evening. I meant to order the 32W bulb and accidentally had selected the 18W bulb instead. Dammit, only a $4 difference between the two.

Installed it anyways and generally, I'm impressed for the most part - to be completely honest, the 18W version was probably comparable to an OEM Halogen, but of course there is the benefit of the much lower amp draw on the bikes electrical system, so for those with other aftermarket loads (handlebar warmers, etc) it's still a worthwhile purchase (especially at a mere $14, which is still less than a high quality halogen bulb) if your old OEM halogen was starting to fade and you're looking for a replacement. The light did seem crisper and maybe slightly cooler than halogen (the pictures in the listing make it look much warmer than it actually is) which was good.

I will probably install it in my wifes bike and get a higher wattage one for mine since when we do ride together at night I'm the one in the lead anyways. Shedding wattage load off of hers is a good thing as she does have some accessories (aforementioned heated grips, etc) loading down the electrical system, especially since the Vstar650 uses a stator based system that isn't super high wattage to begin with and is a PITA to service if it fails - anything that could help longevity is a plus in my books.

Forgot to mention...the adapters (so the bulb can be used in a variety of different style housings) are not keyed in such a fashion that it's impossible to put the bulb in upside down. I did it without noticing and on the first ride the high beams seemed to be working backwards. Sure enough flipping the bulb 180 in the adapter plate fixed that right up.

Not a great design there....

Last edited:
I ordered these yesterday, they shipped today, and will be in my hands tomorrow. Depending on work and the weather I might get them in and a test ride performed tomorrow evening.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01MFF44RD/ref=pe_3034960_236394800_TE_dp_2

I think THESE will be a big improvement at 35W each, and 6000K colour temperature. It's a set of 2, so I will probably look for a riding buddy to buy the second one off me and just split the cost, or maybe I'll keep it for a spare. The 18W one above that I ordered by accident will go in my wife's Vstar.

I ordered these yesterday, they shipped today, and will be in my hands tomorrow. Depending on work and the weather I might get them in and a test ride performed tomorrow evening.

I think THESE will be a big improvement at 35W each, and 6000K colour temperature. It's a set of 2, so I will probably look for a riding buddy to buy the second one off me and just split the cost, or maybe I'll keep it for a spare. The 18W one above that I ordered by accident will go in my wife's Vstar.
If it was me I'd put the 2nd 35w in my wife's bike, not the 18w. You know, visibility and safety and all...

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

6000k is dimmer and harder on the eyes than 4300k-5000k

If it was me I'd put the 2nd 35w in my wife's bike, not the 18w. You know, visibility and safety and all...

Thought about it, but three reasons why I'll probably put the 18W in instead.

- When we do ride at night she's always behind me in formation. She never rides alone at night (ever), so I'd be potentially dealing with the ultra bright light in my mirrors constantly.

- The 18W LED is the same as the original halogen in output anyways, but...

- Reduced load on the charging system for the same amount of light anyways. Since she does have some accessories on the bike, this is plus.

I'll consider it. Worst case I put it in and find it too bright for her being behind me at night and I swap it out.

Last edited:
6000k is dimmer and harder on the eyes than 4300k-5000k

One of the guys I rode with to Kingston a few weeks ago had a 6000K and he was actually lighting up the road in front of me despite being behind me and I quite liked the colour.

In the end, this is all a bit of an experiment - nice part about Amazon is that anything I don't like can be easily returned. ;)

I put LED replacement bulbs in my car. With the stock projector housing they work great. I'm very surprised.

For the bike, after years of trying HID's and LED's and all kinds of crap I'm sticking to Halogen. They are just easier and more reliable and they illuminate the road just fine. (Then again my bike is a dual H4 setup)

If you can do a swap and it works properly then more power to ya.....but I'm sick of all these bikes and cars with non projector housings and blinding aftermarket lights. It's really really dumb.

Thought about it, but three reasons why I'll probably put the 18W in instead.

- When we do ride at night she's always behind me in formation. She never rides alone at night (ever), so I'd be potentially dealing with the ultra bright light in my mirrors constantly.

- The 18W LED is the same as the original halogen in output anyways, but...

- Reduced load on the charging system for the same amount of light anyways. Since she does have some accessories on the bike, this is plus.

I'll consider it. Worst case I put it in and find it too bright for her being behind me at night and I swap it out.
If it's too bright to follow you I don't think other drivers will appreciate your "ultra bright light" behind them either.
I do understand the search for brighter and better if you ride alot at night though.

Back
Top Bottom