Track bike insurance | GTAMotorcycle.com

Track bike insurance

drvrswtd

This might have been asked before but I couldnt find anything thru search.
Anyone aware of insurance company offering coverage for a dedicated track bike with all the goodies. What options do we have to insurance against theft?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I just asked my insurance broker to see if there was anyone out there offering "theft only" coverage for dedicated track/race bike as I had been wondering myself but he doesn't know of anyone offering that "theft only" type of coverage.

theft MAY be covered by your homeowners insurance if its stolen from your garage

Wonderful. Big FU from ins Co. As usual quick to take. Force us off the road with exorbany rates but turn there back for any coverage.

I got a quote from Dalton Timmis, they offer it. You have to call a broker and they'll send you a few page long form you need to fill out. From what I remember the Broker said they 'kinda' have a minimum they charge, something like $600.00 per year. So it's better to bundle all you're stuff under that policy like a big trailer. If I recall they want an itemized list and photos of your stuff. Tools, genny, gear I believe they cover it all if you add it to the list.

http://www.daltontimmis.com/personal-insurance/motorcycle-insurance/off-track-storage/

theft MAY be covered by your homeowners insurance if its stolen from your garage

Incorrect. I have asked 3 different insurers just to be 100% certain, and they all said that if the item stolen/burned/flooded/etc has a VIN, there is no way it will be covered under home insurance, even if stolen from your garage.
They couldn't give me a solid answer on what would happen if the bike had a race only frame (direct from factory) without a VIN attached to it, but they believed it wouldn't be covered either.

my snowblower has a VIN number and Im pretty sure its covered under my homeowners policy.

Either way, if you insurer specifically said that to you, I guess you're not covered, maybe i'm not either

I wouldn't count on your home insurance to cover a vehicle in your garage, lisecned or not. I know my bike isn't covered under my homeowners policy.

my snowblower has a VIN number and Im pretty sure its covered under my homeowners policy.

Either way, if you insurer specifically said that to you, I guess you're not covered, maybe i'm not either

OK fine.. let me back up the bus and restate:
Any motor vehicle that is intended for use on the road is not covered under your home owners policy.
Not sure, but it could possibly range to Jet Skis etc as well, as you can get (need) separate recreational vehicles policies as well.

And, it wasn't just my insurer, I called 2 other companies (State Farm and Desjardins) and all 3 said no. They will not cover a motor vehicle with a VIN under home owners policy.

That would be a serial #....not a VIN....same as a lawnmower. Bicycles also have serial #s and would be covered under homeowner policy as they are not motor vehicles.

OK fine.. let me back up the bus and restate:
Any motor vehicle that is intended for use on the road is not covered under your home owners policy.
Not sure, but it could possibly range to Jet Skis etc as well, as you can get (need) separate recreational vehicles policies

Tdmm has included liability insurance on small sailboats, you can buy insurance on powerboats up to 50 hp (~$100 a year) and anything bigger than that they tell you to go find someone else l.

lol. calm down everyone, the snowblower bit was a joke, not meant to be taken seriously, keep your buses moving forward

Last edited:
I asked this and was told no by more than one company

lol. calm down everyone, the snowblower bit was a joke, not meant to be taken seriously, keep your buses moving forward

Kinda is though.

From two years ago - State Farm will insure trailer and tools wherever the trailer is (travelling get tboned or sitting in storage). So trailer and contents right? Nope not the bike...

I asked them if I was transporting my riding lawn mower (another motorized not for road use vehicle) what would happen? Trailer would be covered over its auto policy and lawn mower would fall under house one. Ok, then if I get hit with the bike in the back my home policy covers it? Nope...

So the trailer, tools, genny etc is covered, but the bike isn't.

I rang Dalton Timmis Misissauga & he wasn't 100% sure on what he told me & has promised to get back to me with more detail BUT he said the Off Track & Storage Insurance only covers your bike, trailer & tools for theft while actually at the track, not while stored at your primary residence (or even during transit to & from the track) which doesn't make any sense to me.
Lets see what he comes back with today after looking into it in more detail, maybe he was mistaken.

I rang Dalton Timmis Misissauga & he wasn't 100% sure on what he told me & has promised to get back to me with more detail BUT he said the Off Track & Storage Insurance only covers your bike, trailer & tools for theft while actually at the track, not while stored at your primary residence (or even during transit to & from the track) which doesn't make any sense to me.
Lets see what he comes back with today after looking into it in more detail, maybe he was mistaken.

You must have got the new kid.

From the daltontimmis link above:
Coverage is provided while the insured items are stored and transported to and from events and while in paddock or garage areas. The motorcycle cannot be operating under its own power.

You must have got the new kid.

From the daltontimmis link above:
Coverage is provided while the insured items are stored and transported to and from events and while in paddock or garage areas. The motorcycle cannot be operating under its own power.

Ha ha, I think I did but he was pleasant, helpful & he was true to his word; he forwarded my request to someone else at DT who has sent me the application form for Off Track & Storage insurance
I have filled it out & asked for a quote & clarification of coverage details i.e. locations etc.

I'll let everyone know what it comes back as.

This might have been asked before but I couldnt find anything thru search.
Anyone aware of insurance company offering coverage for a dedicated track bike with all the goodies. What options do we have to insurance against theft?

I got a quote back from DT for the off track & storage policy.
It does cover storage at home & also during transit to & from the track.
I added the $$ value of everything I wanted to cover in the policy i.e. the bike, spare parts, trailer, riding gear, tools, generator, stands etc which came to around $15K
The policy cost for that was $450 + taxes which covers theft, fire, smoke, vandalism & other things - $1,000 deductible
The policy also covers you in the Continental US as well as Canada.
I found the guy I dealt with (Dan Avon) very helpful: Dan@daltontimmis.com

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom