Almost crash ... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Almost crash ...

Brian P

Site Supporter
I came reeeeeal close to hitting a motorcyclist with my van today.

How so?

Location (I was about where the blue car is in streetview and heading for the stop sign the same direction as that car) https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.0043...TDT6omvuTno-pb-KY0fA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

While I was approaching the stop sign, someone on a large Harley approached from the right and turned left (towards this viewpoint) drastically cutting the corner - he probably crossed the stop line halfway through my lane.

I slammed on the brakes and stopped short, and the rider (with a van filling his viewpoint!) changed course. And then about half of the riders behind him (in a group of about 6) proceeded to cut the corner and cross the stop line on the way through and had to change course the same way ... even though my big van was surely filling their view.

Is there something about these oversized and overweight cruisers that makes them incapable of staying in their proper lane through an ordinary intersection without cutting the corner?

Are they supertankers that need notice posted a week in advance before a change of speed or direction? (I've never ridden one.)

Or is it ... "If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do."

I kinda suspect mostly the latter, although perhaps with a small dose of clumsiness on the part of the bike ... still the rider's job to ride within its limits ...

If he'd smacked into my bumper, it would have been a minor collision (low speed) but it surely would have done some damage ... and I'd be stopped fully in my lane, short of the stop line, and I'd be leaving the van right there until the cops came so that it would be blatantly obvious what happened here ...

Just an observation question....
Were those riders wearing any type of patches on their backs?
(Without naming them a simple yes or no answer). Also most likely if you had a minor collision with one of them...you might not be able to call for help. Sometimes its worth it to just be happy no one was hurt and to move on to another day.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

your defensive habits from riding have transfered to driving

good outcome, would have certainly been some grief had one the HD dudes planted into you

I think it's a combination of arrogance and lack of ability that makes them ride like that

Is there something about these oversized and overweight cruisers that makes them incapable of staying in their proper lane through an ordinary intersection without cutting the corner?

They are perfectly capable of it, but often the dolt behind the handlebars is not. I think that's your situation here.

Ever seen that video of the cop destroying that cone-course with a HD? Yeah, in the right hands even a couch can run circles around an amateur with a far more nimble bike.

But as it goes with sportbikes as well, the guy holding onto the bars is the difference between a skilled performance, or a hooligan ride.

I think a lot of Harley riders are used to following the same steady arc on every corner, obstacles and road markings be damned. Weight of the bike combined with the low max lean angle makes proper cornering cumbersome.

Good on ya Brian. Glad you didn't get hit. It's nice when others do their part while on the road, but sometimes it comes down to you and some good reflexes to make up for someone else's mistakes (or entitlement?)

Just an observation question....
Were those riders wearing any type of patches on their backs?
(Without naming them a simple yes or no answer). Also most likely if you had a minor collision with one of them...you might not be able to call for help. Sometimes its worth it to just be happy no one was hurt and to move on to another day.

I like how purposefully vague and veiled this is

Maaaaan I followed a Harley through some twisties on my way home from the cottage today (in my truck), and watching this guy takes turns was painful. He would slam on the brakes coming into a corner and constantly be crossing the center line, and the thing was barely leaned over. Like I lean more pulling into parking spaces than this guy ever could. Couldn't stand being behind this dude, had to pass him, he didn't look impressed haha

There is no excuse for what the rider did other than approaching the turn too fast and cutting the corner. We get a lot of these idiots up here with more dough than brains who never rode before but always wanted a bigass Harley. They get into one of these old-bugger riding clubs and drive like they do in their Toyota Camry. I saw one old fool today, had to be around 65-70 with a tank-top, sandals and shorts and what looked like his grandaughter similarly attired on the back of a beautiful FLH Harley. WTH? He was plodding along the main street while shakily trying to control the handlebars. I cringed when I saw it.

It has nothing to do with HD riders. Its PEOPLE in general. I experience the same thing every single day at the end of my street. As I am pulling up to the stop sign someone is turning left onto the street and almost takes the front end of my car off. Every day. What amazes me is the looks I get. As if it is my fault that they cant make a turn properly. I used to give them some room when I noticed they were going to cut the corner but I don't anymore. I move right up to the line. Hit me if you want. It will be on you.

If it was a single rider I could understand. I have approached that same intersection and made that same turn as those HD's did and slowing down coming down the "hill" towards Hockley road I'd have cagers flying up my butt even though I'm clearly braking (using brakes) and have my signal on. If there is no one waiting at the stop sign I'd cut it too.

But in your situation, being in a group of riders and there's a vehicle approaching the stop sign. They have no excuse. Just lazy and don't want to make a "sharp" left.

Like others have said. It's just people. Lazy people. Cagers are always crossing the yellow center line around slight bends too.

Location (I was about where the blue car is in streetview and heading for the stop sign the same direction as that car) https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.0043...TDT6omvuTno-pb-KY0fA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

I clicked on the link...

Interestingly-enough, you had just passed Schitts Creek

lUzFkdQ.png

Last edited:
Piss-poor riders come on all types of bikes, could have ended badly but your own riding experience prevented it.

One of the big reasons I quit large group riding was different experience and attitude levels, just too many variables to worry about.

It has nothing to do with HD riders. Its PEOPLE in general. I experience the same thing every single day at the end of my street. As I am pulling up to the stop sign someone is turning left onto the street and almost takes the front end of my car off. Every day. What amazes me is the looks I get. As if it is my fault that they cant make a turn properly. I used to give them some room when I noticed they were going to cut the corner but I don't anymore. I move right up to the line. Hit me if you want. It will be on you.

I feel the same way. I don't understand it. What is so hard/inconvenient about not crossing the line. It certainly boosts my opinion of my own driving ability

It's not just bikes that cut the corners. The closest I have come to being hit on my bike was at that same junction. I was coming the other way on Hockley and an SUV going south on Airport road turned left across my lane , no attempt at all to turn properly. I think it is just a habit that some drivers/riders have

Yep, I see this ALL the time. I watch out every time for it. Cars, bikes, whatever. Some people just do what they want.

Last edited:
Surprised you don't run a dash cam already Brian, especially with the mileage you do. Can easily save your *** when fault isn't clear. Happened to a mutual acquaintance when her (new!) car was rear-ended on the 401 and pushed into the car ahead or her. Driver took off so she took the fall for hitting the car in front. Very pay. Much angry.

Yesterday had every riding example of poor riding I've ever seen. Must have been the combo of lots with a day off and good weather.

Saw plenty of sandles and shorts on goldwings and HDs.

One fella made a gesture to me that I must be hot with my FF helmet and jacket. It was Niagara on-the-Lake and a zoo of course.

But the whole region had groups and individuals riding like a holes.

Had a fella that was riding the centre line coming at me, gave me the low sign and I had to move from the left track to centre of the land to avoid clipping his mirror. He sure owned the road.

Made me wonder how many actually make contact?

YouTube is my next stop! Lol.

The pirates in Chippewa were out in full force too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a woman in a white Honda just about take the bumper off my truck an hour or so ago, exact same situation, couldn't be bothered to square off the turn and didn't see me creeping up in the left turn lane until she was actually in the lane itself.

This almost always has nothing to do with the make or style of bike, or the make and model of the car - it has everything to do with the person in control of it.

And speaking of the idiot contingent ... I'm in my home office with the window open and I hear chirp-chirp-BANG.

A woman in a Honda CRV stopped, as she should, at the stop sign just outside the window.

A man in a Mercedes B-class didn't quite make it.

A lot of people run that stop sign. (A lot of people everywhere run stop signs.)

Back
Top Bottom