Toy Hauler | GTAMotorcycle.com

Toy Hauler

j2

Well, finally broke down and bought one. Both my kids are gone and since June 30th I'm semi retired so I wanted something I can just strap the GS into and take off with the wife.

Heading out to west coast Canada and US this week and returning Labour Day. Really looking forward to it :)

Have fun and be safe

What did you get? Pictures??

Got it from Owasco. Its a Jayco 222 - https://www.jayco.com/products/toy-haulers/2017-octane-super-lite/222/

Its new but last years model and they were having a bit of a blow out. I'd read a lot of reviews on a bunch of manufacturers and they seem to have one of the better reputations, although it almost a religious conversation, almost like asking whats a better truck, GM, Ford or Dodge... LOL

They did have a 272 for an unbelievable price but it was just too big for 2 of us

Last edited:
Interesting option on the list.

Mandatory: Goodyear Tire Upgrade (Made in the USA) $375.00

Shouldn't a mandatory upgrade be included in MSRP?

you'd think. It could have something to do with a US made trailer imported into Canada, the Chinese Carlyle tires could affect point of origin of parts?
I'm just grasping here, but the import and registry guys have some weird ideas. The MSRP is picked by some marketing yokel in Indiana, that price seems to have little effect on actual selling prices in Canada.
We went to the RV show this spring looking at essentially the same idea, MSRP was discounted 15-30% with various wacky incentives.

I sure learned a lot about how trailers are put together well/ poorly on my research trip.

you'd think. It could have something to do with a US made trailer imported into Canada, the Chinese Carlyle tires could affect point of origin of parts?

+1. I recently bought a used jayco 161 for track days. It's the tiny one. It had the original tires and rims which were the white steel rims with Carlyle tires. It was the first thing I changed. Couldn't believe the difference

Been thinking about this myself.

I have an enclosed trailer so end up either sleeping inside on a blow up mattress or if there is grass, sleeping in a tent. At my age its convenient having a toilet so I don't have to walk across the pits a couple of times in the middle of the night ... LOL

i may also be able to talk my wife into coming with me.

I think enough room to fit 2 bikes and that also sleeps 2 or 3with a small cooktop and shower would be perfect.

Anyone own something fairly small like that? What do you own and whats your opinion?... sorry for the hijack

Been thinking about this myself.

I have an enclosed trailer so end up either sleeping inside on a blow up mattress or if there is grass, sleeping in a tent. At my age its convenient having a toilet so I don't have to walk across the pits a couple of times in the middle of the night ... LOL

i may also be able to talk my wife into coming with me.

I think enough room to fit 2 bikes and that also sleeps 2 or 3with a small cooktop and shower would be perfect.

Anyone own something fairly small like that? What do you own and whats your opinion?... sorry for the hijack

It looks like the one the OP bought needs to kick out the toys to make room for the second bed. Check out the floor plans to see how long you need to get if you wanted to sleep 3 without unloading the bikes.

It looks like the one the OP bought needs to kick out the toys to make room for the second bed. Check out the floor plans to see how long you need to get if you wanted to sleep 3 without unloading the bikes.

The bike will come out as soon as I get to the track so not concerned with sleeping with it. I can see if the OP wanted to quickly pull over and sleep then that extra bed up front is a real benefit

The bed up front is beauty, you can get an upgraded mattress (if needed) and its a queen size so you can flop around a bit. And your not making/un making it all the time. Pouring rain and the bike is in the trailer.

I saw one last summer, they took out the one side of the rear folding bench seats , installed tool boxes, racks for fishing rods and had a screen made so when the rear ramp/door was open the bugs stayed outside. The ramp had folding rear legs so it became like deck. Had his / hers dual sports in the back and looked VERY happy with the program.

Just my $0.02.

I think you need to determine how you are going to use it.

If you are planning an extended trip across country and intend to use the garage part to bring your bike with you (I think that's the OP's intent) then the additional bed up front will give you more of an RV Vacation type experience, with something to ride when you arrive.

If its for track days or racing, then I look it it as fulfilling a similar purpose to an enclosed trailer, just has some additional amenities. You tow the bikes to the track, pit, put up the canopy and park the bikes under it. The extra bed is nice but not a necessity. This is how I use mine

I think if you were planning for extended vacations in the future with the wife, kids and dog, larger is better.

If I could only give one work of advice, no matter what you buy, if it comes with Chinese Carlyle tires, swap them out. Also get a weight distribution hitch. Both made a huge difference.

Back
Top Bottom