Monday July 3rd - Muskoka and Haliburton | GTAMotorcycle.com

Monday July 3rd - Muskoka and Haliburton

shanekingsley

Curry - so nice it burns you twice
Site Supporter
I have about 1500km left on my front tire and think there's no better way to finish it off than with a ride up to the 518 tomorrow. I'm also going to hit up Southwood, Swords, Muskoka Rd 3, Hwy 141, Harburn Rd, Kennisis Lake Rd and some other nice ones. I figure it to be around 900-1000km round trip from west Mississauga.

Start: Leaving Mississauga around 7am - I'm open to meeting up along the way if anyone is interested to join.
Meeting Spot: Innisfil Tim's for 8am - https://goo.gl/maps/U1HzFJB2vyH2 - This is at the Tim Hortons and there is a Shell station for fuel
Finish: Innisfil Tim's for around 6pm. I expect to be back in Mississauga around 7:30pm.
Lunch: I'll pack a lunch & snacks and take breaks beside lakes & rivers or something nice and scenic, to save time from long sit down stops.
Pace: Will be fun in the corners, responsible in the straights and respectful in small towns. I ride a V-Strom 650. If you've ridden with me before, it's the same sort of deal.

Note: This isn't a ride for new riders as there are a good number of twisty roads. This isn't a ride for hooligans as I want to keep my license. This will be a long (ish) day!

Route: https://goo.gl/maps/LU9Kb7Ew4nL2 - this is roughly what I have in mind right now and it's only paved roads. There are a few more nice roads I'll do, but Google Maps limits route points.

If anyone is interested, post up or PM.
Cheers!

Last edited:
I'll be at the Innisfil Beach rd meet spot a little early to leave time for fuel and a coffee. Looking forward to it, see you in the morning Shane.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

I'll be at the Innisfil Beach rd meet spot a little early to leave time for fuel and a coffee. Looking forward to it, see you in the morning Shane.
Awesome - looking forward to it. If no one else is coming from my way, then I'll try to get there a little early too.

Thanks for the update Starship - I was originally going to do the bunny trail, but chose to ride over to Kennisis Lake instead. So many roads, so little daylight.

I would really love to join you on one of these rides this season. Dirt biking tomorrow, but I always keep an eye out when you post them.

I'm in. See you a bit before 7. Will be on a dusty and stickered GS1200.

Edit: See you a bit before 8. Glad I checked my PM's... :)

Last edited:
Just did 518 for the first time today. Fantastic road. Two corners were very heavily graveled for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Thinking about it. I'm 50/50 on putting the bike in the van to spare riding that awful highway bit to Innisfil and back. Otherwise I may cut off the last loop in the interest of keeping the day manageable. (I'm no long distance touring rider)

I would really love to join you on one of these rides this season. Dirt biking tomorrow, but I always keep an eye out when you post them.
There will be more I think. Enjoy your ride tomorrow.

Thinking about it. I'm 50/50 on putting the bike in the van to spare riding that awful highway bit to Innisfil and back. Otherwise I may cut off the last loop in the interest of keeping the day manageable. (I'm no long distance touring rider)
Whatever works for you Brian - always nice to have you join.

I will try to be at Innisfil by 7:30-7:45 and hopefully we can get moving right around 8am.

Thought about the holiday weekend traffic situation?

I may van it all the way to Orillia (will still meet at Innisfil to plan next steps). Highways and traffic jams are no fun.

Thought about the holiday weekend traffic situation?.

It's gonna be bad if the situation Friday was any indication - never seen so much traffic headed out of town on every road imaginable. Canada 150 had a lot of extra people going a lot of extra places this year vs a normal holiday weekend, I'm guessing.

Last edited:
Thought about the holiday weekend traffic situation?

I may van it all the way to Orillia (will still meet at Innisfil to plan next steps). Highways and traffic jams are no fun.

I was up north today and came home around 8pm. Traffic was heavy (off and on) along the 400 south from Barrie down to Hwy 9. I'm am hoping that lots of the traffic came home tonight in fear of tomorrow night. So tonight, from Innisfil Beach Rd, since traffic was bad, then I took Sideroad #5 down to Hwy 88 and then Hwy 27 to Hwy 9.

From Hwy 9. I can continue down Hwy 27, or head further west and take Hwy 10/410 or take Weston Rd to Major Mac and then hop back on the 400. I hate traffic and will take backroads all the way home if I have to, just to avoid it.

edit: Brian - if you are going to be parking your van in Orillia, we can always meet you at a Tim's right off the highway here: https://goo.gl/maps/zsUAszB9KpJ2 to save you from having to backtrack to meet up with us and then having to do that again in the afternoon. There's a gas station there as well and maybe you can park your van there for the day. Let me know if you prefer that.

Last edited:
Just got back. Good ride. Skipping the extra loop at the end was still a long enough ride for me, and I'm glad I did the boring bit on each end with the bike in the van. Southbound traffic on 400 this afternoon sucked. Regional road 10 was pretty clear, though :)

I'm in - had a great time today. Love that "shortcut"...

Thanks for the day guys. I just got in and made a detour through Hockley Valley for a pit stop in Orangeville.
Front tire done. Mission accomplished.

Had a great day guys, good ride Shane. Looks like I might have to take up logging in the future lol.
Thanks for the hand oomis!

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

How was the condition of Kennisis lake road?
As good as I have ever been on it. We took it out to Watts Trail and then turned back to Redkenn Rd, which we used as a dirt/gravel road shortcut back over to Haliburton Lake Rd and Harburn Rd.

Kushog Lake Rd has a small amount of sand, and pretty much everything else was in fine form.

Yes, but it's hard-pack, not loose gravel. Not a big deal on street tires although I would avoid it on street tires if it is wet.

Back
Top Bottom