OPP crash during chase on 400 | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

OPP crash during chase on 400

Exactly!! was just thinking about this last night after I posted the link.

Full size SUV As a chase vehicle? Why? poorest choice of choices. High centre of gravity, weak brakes compared to a car for such a heavy vehicle, boat like suspension (relatively speaking in relation to say an Interceptor).

Officer is lucky it didn't roll over.

Not sure why they feel the need for full size suv's for highway duty.

The SUV's are pursuit rated and not oem. Essentially the same package that goes into an Interceptor package for the old Crown Vic but also includes lowering the SUV.

So many "My guess is....." replies in this tread of armchair quarterbacks

The SUV's are pursuit rated and not oem. Essentially the same package that goes into an Interceptor package for the old Crown Vic but also includes lowering the SUV.

So many "My guess is....." replies in this tread of armchair quarterbacks

I'm pretty confident the equivalent police rated car can out power, out brake and out handle the SUV.

Please feel free to prove otherwise.

I'm pretty confident the equivalent police rated car can out power, out brake and out handle the SUV.

Please feel free to prove otherwise.

I don't think the issue was lack of any of the above. The issue is that the driver screwed up and went left to avoid the spike strip without slowing down, except the pickup truck was already there.

The perp made it through without slowing down much, if at all, because of lucky timing - the path around the spike strip coincided with a big enough gap in the traffic. The cop didn't have that luxury.

The pickup truck driver wouldn't have known what was happening. He was a lane to the left as required, the criminal scooted past in front, and then the cop plowed into the truck from behind.

The cop SUV did not roll over, even after the impact, so center of gravity height wouldn't have mattered, either.

Not sure how a Charger or Taurus would have made any difference. It couldn't have squeezed past the spike strip, either.

Armchair quarterbacking is not out of place here because the matter in question is not rocket science, nor does the OPP employ rocket scientists. Police use SUVs for some specific reasons, it is a conscious choice.

http://www.policemag.com/channel/vehicles/articles/2014/11/going-big-suvs-for-patrol.aspx (ignore the ********* about muscle car power and hugging turns)

It basically comes down to, can carry a lot of stuff, can carry a lot of officer, has better visibility, and mass wins.

I don't think the issue was lack of any of the above. The issue is that the driver screwed up and went left to avoid the spike strip without slowing down, except the pickup truck was already there.

The perp made it through without slowing down much, if at all, because of lucky timing - the path around the spike strip coincided with a big enough gap in the traffic. The cop didn't have that luxury.

The pickup truck driver wouldn't have known what was happening. He was a lane to the left as required, the criminal scooted past in front, and then the cop plowed into the truck from behind.

The cop SUV did not roll over, even after the impact, so center of gravity height wouldn't have mattered, either.

Not sure how a Charger or Taurus would have made any difference. It couldn't have squeezed past the spike strip, either.

The dynamics of a proper police CAR over an SUV "could" have produced a different outcome for a number of reasons. Lets just touch on brakes only for now. Maybe if he had the better and shorter braking of the car, less likely hit the guy in front of him?

The Michigan Police vehicle tests, which are the Gold Standard for testing police vehicles, show that the Chevy SUV's have atrocious brakes compared to everyone else.

No, he didn't roll over, but it could have easily happened over a comparable car.

scroll way down to see "projected stopping distances"

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/...hicle_Evaluation_Test_Book-Final_544109_7.pdf

Didn't matter if it was an SUV or not...the cop screwed up and hit an innocent civilian. That civilian deserves compensation in a timely manner. Period. The cop will never see any discipline or correction I'm guessing. Think it would be the same if anyone else plowed into the back of a vehicle?

Didn't matter if it was an SUV or not...the cop screwed up and hit an innocent civilian. That civilian deserves compensation in a timely manner. Period. The cop will never see any discipline or correction I'm guessing. Think it would be the same if anyone else plowed into the back of a vehicle?

I agree fully with above. My point is that SUVs are a poor choice for OPP 'pursuit' duty.

A car is a far better choice and all they really need. If he was driving one, the likelihood of a better outcome would have been far greater.

Better brakes don't matter if the driver doesn't use them. Driver error - that's all. Avoiding the collision required either slowing down to match left lane traffic thus losing ground on the prep (can't have that happen!) or accept going over the spikes, which in retrospect would have had a better outcome.

Tough crowd. A guy shoots at his brother and then shoots another lady in the process of carjacking her. Most people would turn around and the go the opposite direction as quickly as possible...the cops can't. Is the chase the perfect scenario? No. Did the shooter get caught? Yes. Good enough for me. I'm glad the cops did their job.

Once they had the perp on the pavement they should have shot him eight times , then tazered him. Then shot him again.

As far as outcomes go, nobody's dead. Nothing happened to the pickup driver that couldn't have happened on a regular afternoon on the 400. I personally was assuming that the pickup driver would deal with damages through their insurance (a well-documented not at fault collision), I wouldn't expect the police to mail him an IOU. Really, if I would pick apart anything, it would be the deployment of the spike strip in the first place. I feel like they could have been a little less obvious about using it.

Forcillo style

Fixed

They did get in a few punches when the perp was down and being cuffed.

Realistically, if they used the SUV for more than a chase vehicle, then it's what they have and will use it when a chase is required. I don't care that they used an SUV...I care that the cop driving couldn't.

Unless any of us are trained and know the policies and procedures (best practices) for police pursuits we shouldn't be arm chair quarterbacking this one.

No offence, but if that the best example of highly trained pursuit personnel and best practices, what are the rest of the OPP like. That was carnage.

No offence, but if that the best example of highly trained pursuit personnel and best practices, what are the rest of the OPP like.

Cashiers?

Pretty sure the cop who rear ended a school bus a little while back didn't get charged with anything.

Why would this guy?

Pretty sure the cop who rear ended a school bus a little while back didn't get charged with anything.

Why would this guy?

He was charged with start from stopped position – not in safety ($85 - no points) . You or I would have been charged with careless driving. According to witnesses he was on his phone (Facebook?). Then again, they're allowed to be on their phones. Unlike us, they're professionals.

image.jpg

Last edited:
OPP have very strict policies on pursuits. Not sure if you have ever been involved with one....I have...from the good side (chaser...not being chased). Pursuits are often called off by Sgts at the Comm Ctr responsible for that area or they are allowed to continue based on the information at the time. You have many very experienced officers overseeing any pursuit....especially one lasting this long. Unless any of us are trained and know the policies and procedures (best practices) for police pursuits we shouldn't be arm chair quarterbacking this one.

One thing is for sure.....if you hear sirens and see lights flashing behind you.....don't wait till the last second to pull over....and don't pull over to the left. The guy in the pickup waited as long as he could...then pulled to the left to avoid the spike belt.....and caused a shitstorm.

So can you enlighten us on the strict OPP pursuit policies? Armed carjacking.....just keep following him until we can get a spike down and hopefully we don't kill anyone in the process......armed car jacking and the suspect pulls over and fires at us......no worries just keep chasing. If this is what a pursuit looks like from very experienced officers I couldn't even imagine what would happen if some not so experienced officers got involved in the pursuit. Fact of the matter is they endangered public lives for way too long and they should consider themselves lucky nobody was hurt

I wonder if they called in Air2 from York.

Back
Top Bottom