OPP crash during chase on 400 | GTAMotorcycle.com

OPP crash during chase on 400

Damn that's a pretty strong impact.. I didn't listen to audio, what did the perp do? Steal a bag of chips?

Car jacked the civic; firearm found in the bush when he bailed; what led up to it wasn't discussed, unless the car jacking was the initiation..

Not to get political, but I thought canadian forces had less aggressive policy than our southern neighbours for safeties sake. OPP trying to catch up to CHP in YT fame?

If someone commits a serious crime, OPP will most certainly give chase. Always have.

Guy in the pickup slammed on the brakes to go around the spike strip?

If someone commits a serious crime, OPP will most certainly give chase. Always have.

I guess I just thought there was a point where they just back off a bit. They apparently had a chopper on the guy, why risk throwing spikes on a busy highway?

Guy in the pickup slammed on the brakes to go around the spike strip?

Looks like. Well, slowed considerably at least. Probably thinking "wth is going on"

Cop thought I'll zig, then realized he should have zagged

This whole chase was a weak performance by the OPP. Chase started in North York and ended in Orillia. Unacceptable. No closures on the highway and they were giving chase for a long period of time with live traffic. Finally they decide to spike strip the vehicle again with the public still on the highway, luckily they were able too, but I also read they ended up spike stripping two civilian cars on top of the civilian car they plowed into. When the car pulled over on the shoulder and started firing at the police it should of been game over right then and the chase should of been ended by any means necessary, not a continued pursuit.

Last edited:
This whole chase was a weak performance by the OPP. Chase started in North York and ended in Orillia. Unacceptable. No closures on the highway and they were giving chase for a long period of time with live traffic. Finally they decide to spike strip the vehicle again with the public still on the highway, luckily they were able too, but I also read they ended up spike stripping two civilian cars on top of the civilian car they plowed into. When the car pulled over on the shoulder and started firing at the police it should of been game over right then and the chase should of been ended by any means necessary, not a continued pursuit.
OPP have very strict policies on pursuits. Not sure if you have ever been involved with one....I have...from the good side (chaser...not being chased). Pursuits are often called off by Sgts at the Comm Ctr responsible for that area or they are allowed to continue based on the information at the time. You have many very experienced officers overseeing any pursuit....especially one lasting this long. Unless any of us are trained and know the policies and procedures (best practices) for police pursuits we shouldn't be arm chair quarterbacking this one.

One thing is for sure.....if you hear sirens and see lights flashing behind you.....don't wait till the last second to pull over....and don't pull over to the left. The guy in the pickup waited as long as he could...then pulled to the left to avoid the spike belt.....and caused a shitstorm.

Last edited:
HTA says you have to move over a lane when there's an emergency vehicle stopped. Surprisingly everyone has moved over to the left to do just that, including the pickup.

Perp vehicle cuts infront of it to avoid the spike strip. Like others said, Pickup truck driver was probably like "What is happening?" and slows down. probably see's the OPP cruiser flying up his trumpet and tried to pull onto the left shoulder (which is gonna end anyways).

I hope the driver of that Pickup gets some compensation.

I hope the driver of that Pickup gets some compensation.

I never put much thought to it, but the cars that hit the spike strip and the pick up, I just always assumed that they would be compensated. Is there a possibilty that they won't? That they would have to use insurance? Maybe I am blinded by Hollywood.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

OPP.... /snip/

Sorry.
Had to look twice.
Thought your username was "PEDO23". Lol

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

I just want to say, WOW that ford took the hit like a champ. I imagine the driver of the Ford will be getting a huge settlement.

Doing a high-speed chase in an SUV.

Exactly!! was just thinking about this last night after I posted the link.

Full size SUV As a chase vehicle? Why? poorest choice of choices. High centre of gravity, weak brakes compared to a car for such a heavy vehicle, boat like suspension (relatively speaking in relation to say an Interceptor).

Officer is lucky it didn't roll over.

Not sure why they feel the need for full size suv's for highway duty.

My favorite cop crash was in port hope a decade ago. An officer was rushing to join a nightime low speed chase near bewdley that already had something like 7 police vehicles with the subject car. He crashed into a jersey barrier in the service station at 28 and 401 and the media spin was minor collision. The entire car had collapsed and none of the doors worked. My guess is he hit a jersey barrier head on at 60 mph trying to be a cowboy. I can't remember which force he belonged to, but many police chases are like watching timbits soccer with everybody racing madly towards something just to be a part of it.

but many police chases are like watching timbits soccer with everybody racing madly towards something just to be a part of it.

As a dispatcher. Can confirm. This is extremely accurate

Back
Top Bottom