Things to see in Ontario book | GTAMotorcycle.com

Things to see in Ontario book

Morrissey

I remember someone talking about a book on here a while back that is called something like "X number of weird things to see in Ontario" Or "strange roadtrip places in Ontario". It had everything from strange architecture to sculptures to waterfalls and ghost towns. Anyone know what the heck I'm talking about? I did a search but when you don't know the title you don't get very far!

Ron Brown has written several books on the subject . I have "Top 125 Unusual Things to see in Ontario" 4th edition. I'd like to get to Port Burwell to see the HMCS Ojibwa submarine.

Ron Brown has written several books on the subject . I have "Top 125 Unusual Things to see in Ontario" 4th edition. I'd like to get to Port Burwell to see the HMCS Ojibwa submarine.

It's Ron Brown you're looking for. He's written a bunch of Ghost town books both Ontario and Canada as well as the 50 weird (or unusal ) things to see in Ontario and 50 more weird things to see.

BTW - did the sub tour in Burwell it was good but not as good , in my opinion as the sub tour of the USS Cobia in Manitowoc Wisconsin - a real WW2 sub.

I got this book and the hot nature spots books from Costco recently. Using it to plan a few trips this summer. Abandoned abbey near Cornwall for instance.

"Top 150 unusual things to see in Ontario". I have it sitting beside me right now. Have been to about 50 or so of the spots in the book so far this summer and I'm aiming to get over 100 of them done before the end of the riding season. Lots of great riding destinations. Book was $16 or something like that at Costco.

I was at the Port Burwell sub a few years ago - well worth the visit, do the tour, you won't be disappointed....unless you're claustrophobic.

On the topic of the book, here was my absolute favourite one so far - the Ruins of St. Raphael. It's about 20 minutes northeast of Cornwall out in the countryside, but it's simply striking in person.

straphael.jpg

I have done pretty much all the ones from the west side of Toronto (Mimico) to Cornwall to the east, Ottawa to the NE, and Orillia to the NW - if anyone has any questions on any of them in specific I'm happy to answer.. Some of them are not very straightforward - the one thing I dislike about the book is that it's very vague on directions for many entries so you need to do some (or a lot of) Google Fu beforehand, and even then some were still hard to find as Google points are incorrect, etc. Definitely do your homework beforehand.

I have done every single one on the scoot so far with pics to prove them all. ;)

I know Ron specifically vague when describing the ghost town locations so that not every hooligan would rush out and trash them. If you were the type to do some homework and track them down you were less likely to abuse the sights once you'd found them.

I know Ron specifically vague when describing the ghost town locations so that not every hooligan would rush out and trash them. If you were the type to do some homework and track them down you were less likely to abuse the sights once you'd found them.

I agree, but the homework I did ahead of time really paid off since we were on a mission to knock off basically all of eastern Ontario in a 2 day trip - covered lots of miles and we did indeed stop at the interesting ones, but knowing exactly where we were going without question (pinpointed on my GPS) saved us a lot of time that might otherwise have been lost hunting around half lost.

Back
Top Bottom