Tips to wear Helmet with ear buds | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tips to wear Helmet with ear buds

humsafar77

Guyz any tips to wear helmet with earbuds, My ear buds pop out in process of putting on the helmet and it is very difficult to put them back in with tip of fingers.

Any tips / ideas ?

Edit : I realize I was not very clear above. by ear bud I meant earphone e.g beats earbud/earphone or other noise isolation earbud/earphones

Last edited:
What type are you using? You may not be rolling them small enough and pushing them in. Might help to moisten them a little too....I don't.

Shane and Macdoc have answered some questions about the best earbuds to wear in a few other threads. They may be worth a look.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

I recently tried wearing mesh skull cap thingy by Alpinestars I bought from Fortnine...
It's meant to serve as a way to keep a little cooler whike wearing a helmet...
It covers the ears so... As you pull your helmet on it shields the buds and keeps them pretty much in place

Buy an Oxford thin balaclava but earbuds are not the same as earphones.

Shane and I and others use Shure 215s which fit quite flush.
Also the tips are critical - you want a good seal to reduce ambient noise and give you good bass response

The balaclava is reallly thin and makes it easy to put helmet on plus easy to wash

I will use the thin skullcap or balaclava thing for shorter rides like everyday commuting, but I don't like wearing them for longer rides. Putting my Shoei RF1100 on with the Shure 215's without some sort of skull cap is difficult, but if done slowly and carefully, I can put the helmet on without the earbuds from coming out. It just takes some practice and sometimes they come out anyways, so I have to put the helmet on again.

With my older earbuds - either Ultimate Ears 350's or Etymotic er6i's, I could easily get the helmet on and off without pulling on the earbuds, because they had a smaller profile. They also had weak cords that frequently broke which is why I went with the Shure 215's.

I will second/third the head sock/balaclava.

Shane I'm surprised you find the Shures higher profile. BTW there are aftermarket cords for the 215s that are thinner - I find that the thick stiff loops going over the ears to hold them in place hurt after a while while the thinner cord version works very well and does not hurt.

I like that there is a universal cord connector now for decent earphones ...makes life much easier and cheaper tho the OEM cord replacements are rip offs.

https://www.aliexpress.com/shure-replacement-cable_reviews.html

Caveat emptor tho....read reviews

NOTE
: I realize I was not very clear above. by ear bud I meant headphone e.g beats earbud/headphone or other noise isolation earbud/headphones

earbuds = sit on the inner edge ..not suitable for motorcycle ...Apple style

earphones ...insert in the ear canal ...have removable tips, Shure, Etymotic, Ultimate Ears, Westone and others..this is what you want - do not use silicone tips, get Westone tips that are dense and seal properly. Decent ones can be had for $40-$70 - the high end ones are insanely priced.

headphones - go over the head or behind the neck - not suitable for mccyles.

Dense foam tips are what you want on the motorcycle to provide a seal for base and reduce ambient noise.

51mGII4abEL._SL1080_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Westone-TRUE-FIT-STAR-Combo-Audiophile/dp/B00DBAAGZK?th=1

They are sized and when you get it set up it stays in your ear well and makes full use of the ambient noise reduction ( typically -26 db ) available.
Silcone will never do that.

Comply are the big brand name for tips but I find them more expensive and don't last as long as the Westone tho they do a great job.

Last edited:
Hey @MacDoc, how do you find out your size for those? Or is it trial by error?

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

Most come with a 3 pack of different sizes. - they generally all will work but the correct size works better.
Because they are very compressible I'd start with large.

Comply are very confusing as it's size and quality with the 500s the top of the heap last time I checked. I've switched to Westones tho.
You need to match the tip with your earphones as they have different diameter inserts but there are generally only two sizes for the internal diameter.
UltimateEars are larger diameter to go into the tip, Shure and others smaller.

Back
Top Bottom