riding a MC too long is bad for riding a bicycle | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

riding a MC too long is bad for riding a bicycle

The thing people forget about rim hydroponic rim brakes is they eat away the wheels sidewall structure. Causing sidewall blowout(rim wall giving out) or even folding the rim. This happens with regular rim brakes but most will never put that many kms on the bike to see it happen. Oh the memories

It was a sad day when I decided to put my first decent mountain bike to the curb. The death blow was a cracked sidewall. The XT v-brakes I had on it were probably my favorite brakes I ever had on a bike, but obviously they were too much for the poor rims.

Last edited:
Nice!!!! You know what. I think I may have a set of xt kicking around. If I see them there yours lol

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

The thing people forget about rim hydroponic rim brakes is they eat away the wheels sidewall structure. Causing sidewall blowout(rim wall giving out) or even folding the rim. This happens with regular rim brakes but most will never put that many kms on the bike to see it happen. Oh the memories

Actually, I have used the hydroponic and I think that caused the brakes to be delayed on my bike ...in fact in retrospect I believe that caused my crash. I will stick with mechanical discs.

But to both you, and FMJ (with pics) thx for info on rim hydraulics.
Appreciated all kidding aside...except for the crash> it did happen.

Nice!!!! You know what. I think I may have a set of xt kicking around. If I see them there yours lol

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

I kept the brakes although I'm not sure I will ever have another mtb with rim brakes though. Discs are just so damned convenient. They were damn nice looking, they may end up as part of an art project.

I'm so confused.

Are we talking about hydraulic brakes? In which case, why are they harder on wheel rims than cable actuated brakes?

Also, why would you throw out a bike because the sidewall blew? Did you meant the flange broke on the wheel? Even then, why not just get another wheel?

So confused.

Cyclepath should carry them in stock? Or do you think I need to order them?

They should stock them. If they don't Ritchey pads are decent. If they don't have them and try to sell you some generic pads like Jagwire, walk out. WCS, MEC has them for $12/pr. If you were closer, I'd give you a couple of sets. I have a few dozen. :)

35577336932_c76ac44516_b.jpg

And don't buy the olive green ones. They're for ceramic coated rims, and will eat through aluminum rims like a fat kid on a Smartie.

I'm so confused.

Are we talking about hydraulic brakes? In which case, why are they harder on wheel rims than cable actuated brakes?

Also, why would you throw out a bike because the sidewall blew? Did you meant the flange broke on the wheel? Even then, why not just get another wheel?

So confused.

As you change brake technology, the pressure on the rim changes. From most to least is probably hydraulic/v-brakes/cantilever/dual-pivot/sidepull. Hydraulic can probably put 10 times (or more? haven't done the math to check) the pressure of sidepull and rim life suffers for it.

At that point the bike was a chromo-frame. mostly LX and down 10+ years old bike with lots of distance on it. Spending money on new wheels wasn't worth it to me (the aluminum had cracked at the edge of the braking track over ~4" so there was no reasonable way to repair it). I bought a used bike from someone that had too many bikes that was much lighter and had better components (Titus FCR 29er). I've had that bike for about the last 10 years and it still puts a smile on my face every time I ride.

... or cross your arms when riding the bicycle (to grab the front brake with your right hand).

Last edited:
I've never had an issue being confused between MTB and moto controls...
Me neither, I ride BMX a few times a week and never been confused.

I do always tuck my elbows to check my mirrors while pushing a shopping cart though. That's embarrassing.

Not confused about the levers, more like muscle memory when not thinking specifically about it and doing a quick stop to avoid a left turner.

Back
Top Bottom