riding a MC too long is bad for riding a bicycle | GTAMotorcycle.com

riding a MC too long is bad for riding a bicycle

Riceburner

On a MC to brake quickly you pull in both handlebar levers. Clutch in quickly and front brake controlled quickly. What happens when your muscle memory does that on a mountain bike on a bit of a downhill grade? :blackeye:

Was a result of a left turner too. lol

If it really bugs you, swap out the cables left to right ? Then at least the front brake is where you're comfortable ?

That is why I don't ride a bicycle.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

Pictures, we need pictures.

The one and only reason, right Joe ;)
Absolutely! Lol.
My kid was out doing his papers yesterday. I grabbed his bike and rode over a couple streets to give him a message. On the way back, wasn't sure if I still had legs. That's TWO freaking streets! I've been doing a lot more walking as of late, but first time in a while on a bike.
Wanted to take my bicycle out, but having trouble with the brakes. They just don't grab like I expect them to. Looking into putting on disc brakes, but then the cost says better off getting a whole new bike.
Didn't have any problem remembering which lever was what though.
You must be getting old @Riceburner.....remember me? Joe Bass? ?

Didn't give it much thought. My experience has been on bicycles for as long as I can remember and BMX street riding using brakes for maneuvers etc. Even now with trail riding, in whoa sheeiitttt moments, I've never really cranked the front brake enough to endo over the bars but, have washed out the front end and low sided.

Motorcycling? I have a few monuments when I've ham fisted the front brake and jumped on the rear and locked it up while the throttle is held open. Why does this fella sound like he's taking off while he's throwing out the anchor???

Now how do I stop myself
from waving to riders when driving the car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Means that you're not riding your bicycle enough. If you switch it up often, you'd adjust quickly. Like going from a standard car to automatic

I'm blaming it on muscle memory. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Probably just a combination of all off things coming together in one instance.
I've probably been on my bicycle more than my MC so far this year. :(
Not going to bother swapping cables...just backed off the front so it's not as grabby and upped the preload on the front suspension. Funny, I was setting up all the bikes in the garage so I could endo them. Better back them all back too.
Joe who? if the brakes are not grabbing as well...take the pads out and sand them down a bit to get at "fresher" rubber. Just run them against the garage floor a couple of times. Gets rid of the "glazing". Or get new pads.

Last edited:
Lol

I hate the disc brakes on my bike. They don't seem to bite very hard.
Maybe need to adjust them a bit

That is strange. I just made an assumption that they would be better. Have been toying with the idea of riding the bicycle to work, but a very steep hill onroute that I want good brakes for. Brought it to a bike tech and that didn't help.

No issues here, though I try to bike a lot. Mountain biking trails all the time and street too. Trips to the rockies. Have done 2000 km in a year. Did a 43 km mountain bike ride last weekend. I definitely respect the brakes on my mountain bike (am careful with them), though you get what you pay for; the replacement value of the bike would be over $6k, and more if I did a parts build.

Last edited:
my road bike is my best one but no where near as costly as yours....it's hanging in the garage. gotta patch the rear tube or replace....just haven't bothered. Maybe I should. The braking position is different. lol

That is strange. I just made an assumption that they would be better. Have been toying with the idea of riding the bicycle to work, but a very steep hill onroute that I want good brakes for. Brought it to a bike tech and that didn't help.

I'm thinking mine are out of adjustment.
I just messed around with them and the lever does feel a little soft.
Gonna play with them and see.

Not all disc brakes on bicycles are created equal. Some are practically for looks only. Stopping? If you're lucky.

Cable or hydraulic ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My bicycle is a Crappy Tire beach cruiser but I've added a sidecar. With the bike, me, the sub-frame, car and the wife the brakes have to stop an asymmetrical load of about 450 pounds. Steep hills are a no-no. Also my legs have to push the rig UP the hills. Rail trails are the way to go. Trains didn't like steep slopes either. Now that I know it works upgrades are being seriously looked at.

Switching to disk brakes isn't cheap and easy at it means fork changes etc IIRC.

I remember when I took the rider training course, I had no MC experience but tons of cycling and performance driving experience. When it came to the emergency braking exercise, my instinct was to mash the left lever, feather the right level, and stomp the pedal under my right foot. That lead to loud squealing and rubber wastage, not much stopping.

Then another student told me to forget about the rear brake and focus on the front, and it freed up enough mental resources that I could apply to the right lever only, and get it right. Now I seem to have triple emergency braking instincts; one each for driving, cycling, and biking.

'Canadian tire' bikes have disc brakes that arent alot better than the old caliper style.
I didnt think pulling in the clutch and grabbing the front brake was the fastest way to stop a mc, doesnt that lose the engine braking component?

I tend to ride my bicycle slow enough that stopping quick is never a problem, my given'er days are long past. I do like to cycle and living in Milton we had some pretty nice roads, but our traffic is really becoming a challenge

'Canadian tire' bikes have disc brakes that arent alot better than the old caliper style.
I didnt think pulling in the clutch and grabbing the front brake was the fastest way to stop a mc, doesnt that lose the engine braking component?

I tend to ride my bicycle slow enough that stopping quick is never a problem, my given'er days are long past. I do like to cycle and living in Milton we had some pretty nice roads, but our traffic is really becoming a challenge

It's so easy to lock up the rear with brakes alone that the engine braking doesn't make much of a difference IMO. The engine braking in normal stops is more to keep you in the right gear for your speed. ABS changes things.

Back
Top Bottom