Burlington Skyway | GTAMotorcycle.com

Burlington Skyway

nobbie48

Site Supporter
Heading back to TO I got a glimpse of a closure notice but didn't get the details. Some form of closure July weekends.

Trips to Niagara could be a pain. Anyone have details?

Download the Waze app, input destination, let it figure out the rest - it'll reliably get you to point B via the least problematic route.

Download the Waze app, input destination, let it figure out the rest - it'll reliably get you to point B via the least problematic route.

It will also give that same route to everybody else lol.

True enough, but when that slows down, it will route differently again.

There is no perfect solution, but it's way better than blindly running into the fray.

The simple answer though, would be to avoid the trip or plan to leave early. There's already no fast way to make it through that stretch. GTA migration has turned Hamilton into traffic hell. If they're closing the only direct link from the GTA to the Niagara corridor, that will divert traffic one of 3 ways, and none are good options. Option 1 will be 403 into downtown, drive through the city and rejoin QEW in East Hamilton. Option 2 will be lakeshore to the lift bridge, rejoining QEW at Eastport(good luck, Lakeshore is one lane). Option 3 is 403 to Linc to Redhill to QEW, this route will have the highest average speed limit, but furthest distance, and with Linc and Redhill being 2 lane expressways rather than full highways, will be extremely congested.

TLDR; If they close the skyway, you'd be better off taking a row boat from TO to Niagara, than anything with wheels.

I've found that it spreads the people out a bit. My suspicion is it doesn't actually know the best way so it sends people out as feelers to determine the best route. I am not sure what happens once it locks down the best route at that time. If it sent everyone that way it would no longer be the best.

I've found that it spreads the people out a bit. My suspicion is it doesn't actually know the best way so it sends people out as feelers to determine the best route. I am not sure what happens once it locks down the best route at that time. If it sent everyone that way it would no longer be the best.

Waze is always taking note of historical route data, so it knows already what ways are likely the best option when something happens that requires a reroute. And when it starts to detect that the rerouted path starts to clog up, it'll use data for other routes to send traffic there instead.

And it remembers for a long time. When my daughter started riding at a new stable a few years ago Waze constantly tried to route me down a more distant concession road instead of going the most direct route. I'm going to assume someone had used Waze at a very slow speed repeatedly on that road, either on a farm tractor or something, or maybe on horseback. It therefore assumed that this road was a very bad choice based on the very slow speeds it had recorded. It took about 6 or 8 drives down the road (ignoring the insistance to go out of my way, it was clearly wrong) before Waze recalculated the roads average reported speed and then started routing properly down that road, instead of around it.

Just came back from the Hammer and the sign is there saying the Skyway will be closed weekends in July. No details.

The Toronto Islands are closed due to flooding so the ferry boats are sitting idle. How about a service to Niagara-on-the-Lake?

Last edited:
Heading back to TO I got a glimpse of a closure notice but didn't get the details. Some form of closure July weekends.

Trips to Niagara could be a pain. Anyone have details?

Going by my Friday commute home I'm gonna say trips to Niagara would be a pain whether you had the bridge or not.

I can't see them closing both the bridges so it would be a diversion over the lift bridge then straight back on the highway. Inconvenient but better than any of the around the bay options through town. That said the best option through Hamilton would be Burlington street (or tesla bvld as they're now calling it) to Wellington, then Cannon/York back onto the 403. In reverse, 403 to York, which turns into Wilson, left on Victoria down to Burlington, and back to the QEW.

ps watch your speed when your speed coming down off the raised portion of Burlington near Ottawa St. when westbound, Gage Ave eastbound, and sometimes (but rarely) at the east end nearing the QEW. Absolute favorite fishing holes for the local leo's. Limit is only 60 for most of burlington, even though its a raised 'expressway'.

Last edited:
I can't see them closing both the bridges so it would be a diversion over the lift bridge then straight back on the highway. Inconvenient but better than any of the around the bay options through town. That said the best option through Hamilton would be Burlington street (or tesla bvld as they're now calling it) to Wellington, then Cannon/York back onto the 403. In reverse, 403 to York, which turns into Wilson, left on Victoria down to Burlington, and back to the QEW.

ps watch your speed when your speed coming down off the raised portion of Burlington near Ottawa St. when westbound, Gage Ave eastbound, and sometimes (but rarely) at the east end nearing the QEW. Absolute favorite fishing holes for the local leo's. Limit is only 60 for most of burlington, even though its a raised 'expressway'.

I recall as a kid, before the Skyway opened, the miles long traffic jams when the lift bridge was the only option. Or refer to our drunk dump truck operator of few years back.

Coming back last night at about 10:30 PM the highway was full but moving at close to the limit. If even one lane was closed that would not have been happening. Empty bladder, full tank and pack a lunch.

Back
Top Bottom