VW Atlas? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

VW Atlas?

yeah it is an average looking SUV, quality should be good though
at least for the first 150,000....after that you don't wanna be the guy paying the repair bills
typical german product, repair costs will be nasty

Hardly.... Ive owned 2 VW's and loved both of them. My 91 jetta I put 312000 on and the only problem I had was the oil pump failed because I was driving it like a 911 race car. My 2003 1.8T Jetta wagon had 255000 on when I traded it in. I had no problems with it at all.

Hardly.... Ive owned 2 VW's and loved both of them. My 91 jetta I put 312000 on and the only problem I had was the oil pump failed because I was driving it like a 911 race car. My 2003 1.8T Jetta wagon had 255000 on when I traded it in. I had no problems with it at all.

Those were the older ones though and bullet proof engines, 91 probably had the 1.8 which is such a basic motor there isn't much to go wrong (and was the same design for 20 years) and the 1.8T held strong as long as boost wasn't pushed too much and oil changes were done regularly. After those years (2006 onward), the engines started to go down hill; 4.2 V8 had chain issues, 2.0T (FSI version) had cam follower and PCV issues, though the 09+ 2.0T TFSI engines were revised and much better; the only strong engine was the 3.2 V6.

As VAG enthusiast myself, and a shade tree tech, I wouldn't buy a newer VAG product outside of the warranty unless it was a spare vehicle that could sit for a bit if needed...too much electrical BS to go wrong now and when it does, half the car needs to be pulled apart and prices can be a bit much for both parts and labor.

If your looking new and really like it, I say go for it. Can you get something for cheaper from a domestic? probably; will it be as nice of a place to be in? maybe

And Dieselgate.....don't get me started on the overblown "issue" that it was. Diesel is done in NA for passenger vehicles, aside from the old timers who love the original VW 1.6/1.9 diesels and hippy's running them on veggie oil.

What debacle? The cars made MORE power and they cheated the testing machines.
Did they KILL anyone, NO but they had fines WAY MORE than GM that KILLED people? Go figure that one out.

VW is smart, they will offer some solid cars to attract new and previous VW owners.
Toyota cars KILLED people...they seem to be doing just fine.

Interesting how a major hissy fit is thrown because they cheated emissions testing BUT the car companies that made AND KNEW about their cars KILLING people...gets treated with less hostility/intensity.

The planes that the EPA staff flies around on pollutes more than all those VW cars combined in 1 year.
Not quite. Some estimates say 40, others say 100+ premature deaths in the US from 2009-2015 due to dieselgate.

http://www.sciencealert.com/scienti...-of-the-volkswagen-emissions-cheating-scandal

The difference with GM is the VW cars were intentionally designed with full knowledge that it would cause these extra deaths. You can decide which is worse based on the correct info, but the point is emissions rules aren't invented just for funsies.

Not quite. Some estimates say 40, others say 100+ premature deaths in the US from 2009-2015 due to dieselgate.

http://www.sciencealert.com/scienti...-of-the-volkswagen-emissions-cheating-scandal

The difference with GM is the VW cars were intentionally designed with full knowledge that it would cause these extra deaths. You can decide which is worse based on the correct info, but the point is emissions rules aren't invented just for funsies.

If you follow those links, they list strokes and heart attacks as some of the causes related to the pollution deaths with the majority in India and China. When they "estimate" 106 people "killed" in the US over a 6 year span, that hardly worries me since there is no direct way to link VW diesels to those deaths aside from: they pollute a bit more, therefore anyone that died from something that COULD be related to pollution was VW's fault. More pollution is always bad but I'd wager that a vehicle actually killing or maiming someone is worse.

You also don't think someone at GM knew along the lines that the ignition switch was faulty but higher ups just ran with it? Yes, VW scammed the system but to say they were actively killing people is a stretch.

Besides, we need some more population control on this planet.

If you follow those links, they list strokes and heart attacks as some of the causes related to the pollution deaths with the majority in India and China. When they "estimate" 106 people "killed" in the US over a 6 year span, that hardly worries me since there is no direct way to link VW diesels to those deaths aside from: they pollute a bit more, therefore anyone that died from something that COULD be related to pollution was VW's fault. More pollution is always bad but I'd wager that a vehicle actually killing or maiming someone is worse.

You also don't think someone at GM knew along the lines that the ignition switch was faulty but higher ups just ran with it? Yes, VW scammed the system but to say they were actively killing people is a stretch.

Besides, we need some more population control on this planet.
That's not how actuarial analysis works. The number of people that died from something that COULD be related to pollution is in the millions. The number of lives lost that can probably be apportioned to the increased pollution from VW is many dozens (a wide error margin, granted). The point is it's not zero. The main reason NOx pollution is bad is that it kills people. Of course it's not easily observable cause-effect like a knife in the heart, but the effect is real, and dead is still dead.

Again, you can make your own judgements about who was worse but at least use the correct info.

That's not how actuarial analysis works. The number of people that died from something that COULD be related to pollution is in the millions. The number of lives lost that can probably be apportioned to the increased pollution from VW is many dozens (a wide error margin, granted). The point is it's not zero. The main reason NOx pollution is bad is that it kills people. Of course it's not easily observable cause-effect like a knife in the heart, but the effect is real, and dead is still dead.

Again, you can make your own judgements about who was worse but at least use the correct info.

So by that logic then, anyone who has tuned their truck to roll coal should be up on manslaughter charges.

Because of the price of gas in the U.K. there's a lot of people love their diesel VWs there. My sister is one of them and she doesn't want to take it in to get it adjusted. Lots of other owners don't want to either.

This applies to almost anyone that owns a diesel VW. If anyone bought one to save on emmissions they bought it for the wrong reason to begin with so most owners don't care about dieselgate. I know anyone I know that has one has said as long as they can still keep it on the road they aren't getting anything adjusted/fixed related to that.

So by that logic then, anyone who has tuned their truck to roll coal should be up on manslaughter charges.

If the quantity of pollution from his truck can be shown to likely cause at least one premature death, and the owner can reasonably be expected to have known he'd be causing that premature death, then yes.

You guys are in fantasy land at the moment.

Lets also arrest anyone who ever cut a tree or all the cows, they produce so much methane, can't be healthy.
I burnt a piece of plastic last time I went camping, that may have surely put someone over the edge. On one hand, I am a killer, on the other - feels good to have so much power!

My brother got a base-model Atlas as a company car. He likes the roominess but says the handling is boat-like and the 4cyl is sluggish.

Back
Top Bottom