PSA: Kerosene is better and way cheaper than name brand chain cleaners | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

PSA: Kerosene is better and way cheaper than name brand chain cleaners

half a can of WD40, 2 bucks power washing at coin wash so the mess is somewhere else
10 minute ride to warm and dry the chain, fresh coat of lube, looks like new
and yeah it's condition dependent, not based on km

I would think a power wash spray would force all that dirt/grit deeper into the chain, between the plates and orings.

I would think a power wash spray would force all that dirt/grit deeper into the chain, between the plates and orings.

It does. It also pushes out the lubrication from the manufacturer. If your going to power wash a chain might as well save money with a non o-ring chain.

My 2cents. Kerosene to clean, which I do every 4th-5th time I lube the chain. Lube once a week or so, and after every wet/rain ride. Lube chain liberally wipe of excess, I find this cleans somewhat as well.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

This is a rookie mistake: I accidently sprayed wd40 on the tire and then some more on the ground. Is there a proper way to clean them to avoid potential accidents?

degreasing soap and water.

stick a sheet of cardboard between the chain and tire. I keep the piece for a while as I don't want to contaminate lots of pieces going to recycling or garbage. It's coated black with dry lube. lol

My 2cents. Kerosene to clean, which I do every 4th-5th time I lube the chain. Lube once a week or so, and after every wet/rain ride. Lube chain liberally wipe of excess, I find this cleans somewhat as well.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
Same however after it rains I clean with Kerosene, there is so much road dirt and grime on the chain it feels like sandpaper. 54,000 kms so far on my 2012 vstrom. Still has original chain and sprockets.

sure if you hold the nozzle on the wand close to the chain where the pressure is sufficient to force dirt in,
if you hold it back and use the water spray to wash off whatever you used to loosen the grime it's not a problem

could do it in your driveway with a garden hose and get the same result, I do it at a coin wash so the mess stays there

90W gear oil.

I just started using Redline Shockproof Heavy because I had a bunch of it left over laying around. Got some of that STP and Lucas oil thickener crap laying around I might use after.

My bike's OEM chain was a bit tight/loose in some spots so I decided to replace it... the sprockets I took it off of had more meat on the sprocket teeth than the AFAM I replaced the OEM with.. haha... I'd clean and lube my chain every 600-1000 km... Kerosene (toothbrush, later bought a chain brush 3 sided) and wipe with shop rags before lubing with Loews Multi Teflon spray...
OEM chain I changed at something like 35,000km and the bike had over 60,000 on it when I sold it. Still mint.

I have just done my first cleaning/lubing. Overall a success... however I left a huge mess, a puddle of kerosene on the floor (I need a bigger drip pan next time), a dirty chain brush + 2 rags that stinks of gasoline.

How do you guys set up for a chain cleaning session to prevent a messy situation? How do you guys clean the brush/rags after?

I use the blue shop towels from C.Tire or Walmart and spray WD40 onto the towel first then wipe the chain down with it.

No mess.

0396641_1

I have just done my first cleaning/lubing. Overall a success... however I left a huge mess, a puddle of kerosene on the floor (I need a bigger drip pan next time), a dirty chain brush + 2 rags that stinks of gasoline.

How do you guys set up for a chain cleaning session to prevent a messy situation? How do you guys clean the brush/rags after?

The brush doesn't have to be "clean", just spray it with some of the kero to get the bulk of the grime off. Wipe it down with a rag or paper towel. Wear shop/latex/etc. gloves. I have the kero in an old spray bottle. You don't want everything dripping wet, just damped enough. spread some newspaper or cardboard under the bike. and or hold a rag around the brushing area too to catch the drips as you go.

Back
Top Bottom