PSA: Kerosene is better and way cheaper than name brand chain cleaners | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

PSA: Kerosene is better and way cheaper than name brand chain cleaners

Whatever is cheapest for me. Diesel at $1 /liter. I use it to degrease my firearms too

I use HHS-2000 by Wurth as a lubricant every 500km or so of dry road riding. I also use the white Bel-Ray stuff sometimes. Clean the chain very rarely - maybe once a year at about 1/2way through the chain's life. Chain/sprockets usually last at least 40,000km.

I tried the Dupont wax and didn't like it. Chain life went down a lot that year, but maybe I was doing something else different too.

WD40 to clean the chain and wheels, and also just like Shane i use the HHS stuff for lubing.

WD40 to clean the chain and wheels, and also just like Shane i use the HHS stuff for lubing.

Same lube for me. Wurth HHS Lube. Really nice people to deal with. Drove down to Guelph. Great, great Customer Service. Only bought 2 cans. Felt like I was buying 1,000 cans. Treated like Royalty.
E mailed the CEO saying how happy I was with the Customer service.
Loved his return message. He Called them his Colleagues, not Employees. All 70,000 of them.

for cleaning: Clear Kerosene
for lubing: Maxima Chain Wax (flings out very very little)

done!

don't know why this topic keeps going on & on

What do you guys do with the used kerosene? I've used a coffee filter to clean it and reuse it but dunno how long I can do that, or what to do with it after.

Dupont Teflon Chain Saver. Lowe's is the only place that stocks it. Has a motorcycle on the can. Self cleans. There's no reason to talk about anything else, just use this.

Do not pressure wash an o-ring chain. I'm sure you're going to say "well mine's fine"

5 bikes and 25 years riding, I'll do what I want and know works

Where are you guys finding kerosene for $10 for 10L? It's $10 for 1L at Cdn Tire.

Does anyone know whether carb cleaner is o-ring safe? I have a lot of it and don't really have any uses for it.

You know I am sure this is common knowledge for most, but as someone only in the scene for 2 years, I did not really hear about kerosene to much and always bought Motul chain cleaner for example at $15 a pop. Kerosene just devours grime and dirt and I got a huge bottle of it (10L) for only $15 dollars and I don't think I will ever need to buy chain cleaner again. Thought I would share this for all the newbies or those who did not know about this glorious product for your chains :) Really worked amazing on my bike and its just so much cheaper I am super impressed.

Canadian Tire woods clear Kerosene: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/woods-clear-kerosene-0762139p.html#srp
[video=youtube;dzVNXg1wc5o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzVNXg1wc5o[/video]
Nice technique OP! :eek: I don't care what y'all use to clean or lube your chains, but try not to spray whatever you use all over your tires like @ 1:15 - 1:25 in this video. Nobody wants a nasty surprise when they lean into a turn.

Nice technique OP! :eek: I don't care what y'all use to clean or lube your chains, but try not to spray whatever you use all over your tires like @ 1:15 - 1:25 in this video. Nobody wants a nasty surprise when they lean into a turn.

Was waiting to see if anyone would point that out.

One reason I like the Motul paste with the brush on Applicator.
I like how convenient the motul paste would be for lubing on the road, what kind of life do you get from your chains?

I always love how GTAM can turn the most basic and long-standing aspects of simple motorcycle maintainence into a gong-show of fact and fiction.

200,000+ touring kms on chain drive.

Lube every 800-1000 kms OR after every ride in the rain.

Never clean.

Adjust as required.

Chains last 30,000+ kms and look like crap.

Sprocket changes every 2 chains.

Carry on...

200,000+ touring kms on chain drive.

Lube every 800-1000 kms OR after every ride in the rain.

Never clean.

Adjust as required.

Chains last 30,000+ kms and look like crap.

Sprocket changes every 2 chains.

Carry on...

I get about the same.

I got 20,000 km from the chain I just replaced but that was my riding ......the previous owner put distance on that same chain.

I don't have a lot of experience with chains as the 100,000 km on the Burgmans had no chain involved.
I got 20,000 km on the chain and sprocket on the 2010 Wee I bought and sold in 2015 to go across country with the kid.

At the time he was cleaning and lubing and after seeing the info on the Stromtroopers site I stopped the cleaning and upped the lubing.

He got terrible distance from his chain and sprockets on his FZ8 but then he went cheap and learned his lesson with a horrid limping ride into Lake Placid and an unexpected bill for $400 US ( included chain, sprocket and rear tire ).

His bike is geared for acceleration and he's got a hooligan in his wrist.
The Vstrom does not get hard use in the acceleration end but also the chain lubing is perhaps not as good as it could be.
That's another reason I like the Motul....it stays on where the Crystal gets dry much faster. I prefer to follow the long distance riders ...lube don't clean. It makes way more sense to me given the technology of today's chains.

Now I had sand chew up my KLR chain in a few hundred KM and left me stranded ...unrideable....but the chain was suspect for a couple of weeks but my buddy could not see it wasn't okay ...only my boots felt a little vibration.

It was well lubed but basically fell apart over that single day of riding to the point where it could hardly be walked.

Back
Top Bottom