PSA: Kerosene is better and way cheaper than name brand chain cleaners | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

PSA: Kerosene is better and way cheaper than name brand chain cleaners

sorry this is probably a stupid question, as long as it is clear kerosene it should be fine on the chain right?

View attachment 38925
Recochem 14-534 3.78L Clear Kerosene

I'm gonna go pick up the lubes at Lowes so might as well pick up the kerosene there

Pick up a spray bottle too, that's what I use to apply kerosene

maybe a bit thick

not that this is much thinner,

SAE 30W-50W

but gear oil is really sticky....

What is the point of recommending oil when there's purpose-made chain lubes that aren't going to fling and are going to repel dirt? If you're using regular oil you're going to be spending a lot more time keeping things clean.

What is the point of recommending oil when there's purpose-made chain lubes that aren't going to fling and are going to repel dirt? If you're using regular oil you're going to be spending a lot more time keeping things clean.

The purpose of recommending oil, is if you read the manual on some bikes, that is what is recommended, it works, it's cheaper, and so on....

purpose made chain lubes came out to make money from those that don't want to use oil, as it's more convenient to just spray the stuff on from a can

Been using kerosene for about 7 years now. But just once before i put her away for winter. Clean the chain, lube and store.
Also been using it to clean my wheels. Not sure if it's the best idea but it does an amazing job and has never damaged the paint.

I spray WD40 on a microfibre towel and wipe the rims down with that and then follow-up with some spray "detailer" (and sometimes spray wax) to remove residue and shine up the wheels/protect the paint. Does a great job of removing flingings from the chain, brake dust, road grime etc.

Or you could save even more money and not clean your chain at all.

Lubing it is all you need to do.

Every 1,000km seems like a very arbitrary number. Who told you that? Dealer?

Of course you can clean your chain if you want to. However, for regular street use, it's not necessary. Lubing is way more important for longetivity.

Some will even argue that cleaning the chain is a detrimental factor because it pushes particles in.

Worst advice on Gtam? Hardly, but it's definitely not good advice.

Hardly ...it is correct advice. Modern X and O-ring chains do not need to be cleaned period. Just lube.

I like Motul Paste - my mechanic who races recommends it, easy to carry and small with and with a built in applicator.

Chain-Care-6.jpg

Kerosene is likely the worst possible thing you can use on a chain.

Or you could save even more money and not clean your chain at all.

Lubing it is all you need to do.

Hardly ...it is correct advice. Modern X and O-ring chains do not need to be cleaned period. Just lube.

I like Motul Paste - my mechanic who races recommends it, easy to carry and small with and with a built in applicator.

Chain-Care-6.jpg

Kerosene is likely the worst possible thing you can use on a chain.

You've got it backwards. The lubrication is sealed inside the chain, hence the need for o-rings. The only thing modern chains benefit from is cleaning. Grit & grime stick to lubes and pastes. Putting more lube on top of that gunk doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Last edited:
I am confused...but I like the Motul paste idea.

just a post, take it for what it's worth

Lubrication and Cleaning
Every joint or 'articulating point' in a chain is actually a bearing of steel to steel surfaces. It is essential that a film of lubricant is at all times present to reduce friction, protect from corrosion and extend the life of the chain. This film of lubricant not only cuts down friction but also assists in cushioning the drive, in effect hydraulically. If a chain is not too dirty, the process of lubrication is normally sufficient to clean it.
If the accumulation of dirt on the chain is excessive, the chain can be washed with a brush (not a wire or harsh type) with kerosene or paraffin and then preferably dried immediately witha jet of compressed air. Do not use steam, petrol or solvents. Be careful not to damage the rubber seals with O and X ring chains.

Sealed 'O' and 'X' ring chains - Even though these chains are sometimes thought of as being maintenance free - it is important to ensure that the outside of these chains are kept well greased. Both the rubber seals and the exposed metals need to be kept lubricated and this job should be carried out every 250 - 300 miles or so, depending on conditions. If this type of chain is left on a bike which is not going to be used for several months, it is a very good idea to attend to lubricating the chain first.
Ordinary roller chains (not sealed) - When used as a final drive chain which is exposed, this type of chain needs more care and attention.in terms of cleaning and lubrication.

Chains can be lubricated with SAE 80-90 oil or with a specific chain lubricant. Ensure that any chain lubricant to be used on an O, X or Z ring chain is suitable for the purpose by checking that the product states that it is "O ring friendly". There are several automatic chain oilers available and these generally work well but be sure that it is fitted correctly and in our opinion, especially with O ring chains it is better to use an oiler which has a "dual feed" - where both sides of the chain are oiled.
Never use WD40 or similar product to clean or lubricate a chain - it is NOT A LUBRICANT and it contains a solvent. It will also damage the rubber seals on an 'O' ring type chain. 'WD' stands for water displacement.

Kerosene is great, I use it to clean my chain and wheels, at one point I made a cardboard shield that fit around the back of the sprocket to keep the mess off the rear wheel if you dont want to clean the wheel after.

Cleaning you chain / sprocket on a regular basis also gives you a chance to inspect it on a regular basis to make sure the sprockets are good, there are no tight links on the chain etc

Last edited:
Kerosene is awesome to have in the garage. I use on chains and also as a general degreaser. If there any kind of buildup on my bike like around the engine just dip a brush on some kerosene and then rinse with water. I find it less harmful for those purposes then simple green or the stuff that comes in a purple bottle.

The o-ring chain on my mx bike I do absolutely nothing to it. No lube also means no cleaner. The o-rings keep the manufacturer lube in the pins where you need it and if I did lube the chain all it would do is attract dirt which would cause wear.

I spray WD40 on a microfibre towel and wipe the rims down with that and then follow-up with some spray "detailer" (and sometimes spray wax) to remove residue and shine up the wheels/protect the paint. Does a great job of removing flingings from the chain, brake dust, road grime etc.

Ill try it next time. Might actually work better.

Since I haven't seen a chain thread in a while, might as well restate this for fresh blood -

Pretty much everybody here is right about what lubricant to use. The point of lubricating an O-ring (or X-ring) chain is mostly to lubricate the O-rings and to a lesser extent the rollers. The lubricant that is actually doing all the heavy lifting is sealed inside the chain - this is the entire purpose of having O-rings on a chain.

Also personally I'm not a big fan of cleaning chains, but this also goes in hand with using a lube that is not sticky. I used to like PJ1 Blue Label for this but I can't easily find it anymore :/

Edit: And before anyone provides a link I mean that you used to be able to buy it at the tire hole for a decent price, the web prices I see are about double what it used to be

Last edited:
Been using kerosene for about 7 years now. But just once before i put her away for winter. Clean the chain, lube and store.
Also been using it to clean my wheels. Not sure if it's the best idea but it does an amazing job and has never damaged the paint.

But that could be because i don't do it often.

Good thread OP.

+1

I do the exact same process. Never an issue with the paint on my wheels

Back
Top Bottom