PSA: Kerosene is better and way cheaper than name brand chain cleaners | GTAMotorcycle.com

PSA: Kerosene is better and way cheaper than name brand chain cleaners

Canadian Rider

You know I am sure this is common knowledge for most, but as someone only in the scene for 2 years, I did not really hear about kerosene to much and always bought Motul chain cleaner for example at $15 a pop. Kerosene just devours grime and dirt and I got a huge bottle of it (10L) for only $15 dollars and I don't think I will ever need to buy chain cleaner again. Thought I would share this for all the newbies or those who did not know about this glorious product for your chains :) Really worked amazing on my bike and its just so much cheaper I am super impressed.

Canadian Tire woods clear Kerosene: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/woods-clear-kerosene-0762139p.html#srp
[video=youtube;dzVNXg1wc5o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzVNXg1wc5o[/video]

Old Skool, is Kool......ehh

:p

Don't forget to lube the chain afterwards...............

and the one of the best ways to keep that gold chain nice and shiny....

P1120862.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm, really? I have been told to always clean chain at 1000 km.

Every 1,000km seems like a very arbitrary number. Who told you that? Dealer?

Of course you can clean your chain if you want to. However, for regular street use, it's not necessary. Lubing is way more important for longetivity.

Some will even argue that cleaning the chain is a detrimental factor because it pushes particles in.

Just remember that kerosene is highly volatile so don't smoke while cleaning your chain!

Kerosene was the fuel used in the Saturn V F1 engines.

F-1-1200_480.jpg

Lots of energy but not terribly volatile and not as easy as other products to light off.

As with any solvent, precautions should be taken: ventilation, no nearby sources of ignition, try to keep it off your hands etc. Makes a great chain cleaner...

Or you could save even more money and not clean your chain at all.

Lubing it is all you need to do.

Doesn't seem like there's a clear consensus on this (although feels like the majority opinion is cleaning is good)

But either way I like to clean my chain and rear sprocket occasionally to keep it looking nice

Good thread OP, I just purchased a bike and it needed some cleaning.

sorry to go off topic a bit, can anyone recommend a chain lube? I have O-ring chains

If you mix grit and grease together then you have a kind of rubbing compound which is abrasive. I like to stop abrasion around the moving parts on my bike so I clean my chain.

half a can of WD40, 2 bucks power washing at coin wash so the mess is somewhere else
10 minute ride to warm and dry the chain, fresh coat of lube, looks like new
and yeah it's condition dependent, not based on km

Good thread OP, I just purchased a bike and it needed some cleaning.

sorry to go off topic a bit, can anyone recommend a chain lube? I have O-ring chains

Dupont Teflon Chain Saver. Lowe's is the only place that stocks it. Has a motorcycle on the can. Self cleans. There's no reason to talk about anything else, just use this.

half a can of WD40, 2 bucks power washing at coin wash so the mess is somewhere else
10 minute ride to warm and dry the chain, fresh coat of lube, looks like new
and yeah it's condition dependent, not based on km

Do not pressure wash an o-ring chain. I'm sure you're going to say "well mine's fine"

sorry this is probably a stupid question, as long as it is clear kerosene it should be fine on the chain right?

056438145349_ca.jpg
[h=1]Recochem 14-534 3.78L Clear Kerosene[/h]
I'm gonna go pick up the lubes at Lowes so might as well pick up the kerosene there

Been using kerosene for about 7 years now. But just once before i put her away for winter. Clean the chain, lube and store.
Also been using it to clean my wheels. Not sure if it's the best idea but it does an amazing job and has never damaged the paint.

But that could be because i don't do it often.

Good thread OP.

Back
Top Bottom