Long Weekend and beyond looking good | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Long Weekend and beyond looking good

nothing in the offing of consequence...will clear up today .

https://radar.weather.gov/Conus/full.php

Further into the future you look to the west to see what's coming as that's where the weather comes from.

NatLoop.gif

The ones that are tricky are those lows that rotate in place....

Ok I downloaded My Radar on my phone. Looks like it shows the radar map for the current time plus a few minutes into the future. But is there a way to get it to show further into the future, like several hours ahead or even a few days?

No, that's not how radar works - radar is not "forecasted", its real time.

Animate it, look at how cells are moving (direction and speed), and you can usually forecast things yourself an hour or three ahead.

There are a couple of views on Radar ....close by and regional. Close by you can literally see what it is depicting.

I pulled over off the slab in Michigan ....hunkered down and the cell blast came in a minute later, ...I knew how strong it was looking at the radar real time and that it was right on top of me.

Waited for that initial gust to pass and kept on going knowing I'd be in sunshine in a few miles.

It's only at slow moving front boundaries that forecasting gets tricky to call.

Looks like rain in western New York and southern Ontario (south of Barrie) until noonish. I'm packed and ready to go, rain or shine.

ca762cb95c1aeaa9e7b5162ed020777b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Was a beautiful evening, got out for a scoot and coffee with friends.

Rainy overnight and into the morning, and then a salvageable afternoon, but the humidity will have things potentially volatile. Fireworks shows should go off as planned.

After that, despite the chance of some sprinkles on Sunday, it actually looks like we might get into a whole 4 days without precipitation. That's some sort of miracle based on the summer so far.

the way I see it, riding in the rain is a lot better than not riding at all!

Well I woke up at 7am ready to go, checked the weather, and they were predicting thunderstorms all over parry sound and sudbury so I went back to sleep. Maybe I'll go tomorrow. I do have rain gear but riding through pouring rain is not fun for me.

MyRadar shows rain all over hwy 69 and the muskokas which is where I'd be right now if I went, so I made the right call. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Last edited:
I'll be leaving Buffalo at about 6:45AM on Saturday the 1st and riding up to Parry Sound, stopping locally for breakfast first, of course.
Going to ride slab for an hour and a half...QEW to 407 to 410. Then run 7/42/26 up to the tip of the Bay, then northeast towards the Muskokas. Play around there and take the long way into parry sound. Have about a 300 mile (485 km) route planned for the day.

Day 2 is another 300 mile ride, but just a large loop around the area. Parry Sound to Key River to Trout Creek to Magnetawan to Burks Falls to Sprucedale to Huntsville to Dorset and then back to Parry Sound via Rosseau.

Day 3 is heading home. No plans, just go south.

Looking like I'll start the trip with some rain for the first couple of hours, but looking dry beyond that!
I guess you got rained on pretty good? Sorry it wasn't a nicer day, the Muskokas really are a nice place to ride when the weather is nice.

Some roads you might wanna try, take McDougall rd east out of Parry Sound to Hurdsville Rd, take Hurdsville to hwy 124, 124 west to Lorimer Lake Rd which becomes the Bunny Trail. That should take you to Hwy 520 which you can take east back to 124, then continue on 124 to Magnetawan, then 520 continues from magnetawan to burks falls. Also I highly recommend hwy 518, it's a nice scenic twisty road. Also be careful there are a lot of cottagers driving around those roads, I once rounded a blind corner on the bunny trail and there was an oncoming pickup towing a boat halfway in my lane, had I been going a bit faster I probably would have collided with him.

Ok I downloaded My Radar on my phone. Looks like it shows the radar map for the current time plus a few minutes into the future. But is there a way to get it to show further into the future, like several hours ahead or even a few days?
I use the simple radar on the weather network. It shows a forecast about 5 hours into the future. It might show more but I have never checked for that.
https://www.theweathernetwork.com/maps/satellite-radar

the way I see it, riding in the rain is a lot better than not riding at all!

That's an unfortunate reality for this year - being able to plan a trip with any hope of having 4 or 5 decent days in a row seems like a pipedream this summer.

Well I woke up at 7am ready to go, checked the weather, and they were predicting thunderstorms all over parry sound and sudbury so I went back to sleep. Maybe I'll go tomorrow. I do have rain gear but riding through pouring rain is not fun for me.

MyRadar shows rain all over hwy 69 and the muskokas which is where I'd be right now if I went, so I made the right call. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

The only redeeming thing about these sorts of hot muggy unstable types of weather patterns (like today) is that the storms tend to me isolated. They can be extremely severe, but generally they might only last 10 minutes, which if you know they are coming, you can wait out and then ride on.

Looking at the radar right now there's a line of storms getting organized along the impending cold front. Good news, they won't last long...bad news, it's going to cool down behind them.

radarcanadaday.jpg

Last edited:
Tomorrow looks good...not much lurking.

I have a few options for rides that friends have planned tomorrow...really torn on what one to do - Minden loop, or up to Midland and up around that area.

It looks like there could be periods of instability tomorrow as well though..but probably the same as today, if you watch them coming you can simply wait them out.

I tried to get home before it hit, didn't need radar, saw it with my own eyes, but I had to ride towards it, alllllmost beat it....lol

Oh, THAT way from home. Thought you meant you had just left.

Yeah, I feel your pain there, been there done that. Sorry. ;)

BbYdQpmgskknzJnm3zduL5TevEIQnXxxpNBUTS3StvVAP0EG89tYSJcIt4zBv9KxoUQZ50Ki9V54tcc57aafjQlkHtIKz27o015eOYGbFwskKgas3mlug2PBL7hglEu85o65c1gckQUWXs75Fjn1dIhafJ7-xmoOi2MxFDd0VtcbFWwr08ueUx77fN6D_Z797_0ee9YIkyqVYl9RCdc6X_G9Hs4B_8L_pK3X4oPEdabNde53Jv17NDSiCJck1T_Tc9XWvJqZiB_mBYeJOMhOH92XilWcqmMOrt2P2n23kW4SrOF1-IFsmG0vq19owVaj18EKbM_MfcYKhXeb0CKWOGVulN80rG9mLzTczRd07z2rt05pBYGcKjCw4so7i37Ju1JQFAA1zUtNBFnQtiNiMCPvhCAr-YtPK3CjqnOlD4Ykr10WbEcfAwxn1oRYGlqy767IzHIS4sFe9hOATKzZkkRGLyKiuRwm6yuDWeM5lbAQw9t-H-zxRmREyS6H2G6mC0bzMgBWQkUac6s284DTU1iXlCfJtlRlJDQuVLHJszOXZl89CUv0qK2nTL6ytqQ4lJuzX6WEMWMjn7XMenpiB_i7WIGEG9ZqCZWJ2JtlJW_st5DNmPLBSg=w1249-h486-no

Who is going where ?? Think I will leave a redo of the BRP til the fall but looking for ideas for 3-4 days.

Post your ride plans too.
Here's what I mean:
4LIaYfnh.jpg

The weather changes as we get closer to the dates. Sunday is now predicting rain. Anything more than a couple of days out seems to be a crap-shoot. Reminds me of that Rick Mercer video.

Anyways, I'll be heading towards Calabogie and perhaps Ompah during the week.

Edit: From the East.

Last edited:
You call that change ? :rolleyes:

I said clearly that TStorms are problematic.

I navigated the storm track quite easily today with radar. Stayed behind it.

Last edited:
Gorgeous out there....very tempted to take the CBF to Letchworth State Park - have a good meal but perhaps too much slab.

Back
Top Bottom