Whats Up With My Brakes? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Whats Up With My Brakes?

Zlatan44

Hey team,

Sooo I recently picked up a 2010 KTM690 smc in great condition however the front (and maybe rear) brakes behave kinda weird..

When using my front brake at slow speed there's a high pitch squeak that comes around on every rotation of the wheel - at high speed corner entry (and hard braking) this becomes more of a wobbly effect. I'm assuming the disc is warped but before replacing the disc/heading out to GP Bikes could my described symptoms be a result of needing new brake fluid..?

Cheers,

Zlad.

Changing the brake fluid isn't a bad idea on a new to you 7 year old bike but I don't think it's your issue. You can check if the rotor is warped by taking it off and laying it on a piece of glass to see if it's straight. I generally don't reuse bolts for the rotor so you might want to plan on picking some up regardless.

Could be uneven pad material buildup on the rotor or a warped rotor. Changing brake fluid isn't a bad idea, but wouldn't cause those symptoms.

sounds like this.. could be a warped rotor.. change your pads first.. if it persists, change the rotor.

Put it up pn a stand and spin the wheel. Shouldn't be deflection in the rotor. You'll be able to tell real quick if it is warped.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

It could be a warped rotor, but thinking about an issue I saw on another forum are you sure your front wheel was properly aligned in the forks before the axle pinch bolts were tightened. Your manual may have a specific sequence for tightening the axle bolt, then pumping the forks to properly seat the axle then finish by tightening the pinch bolts. Process may not apply to the KTM but costs you nothing the check.

Simple to check
Use a dial gauge and measure the front rotor run out, if its out of spec then replace it. If its within spec then check that off the list and look further

It could be a warped rotor, but thinking about an issue I saw on another forum are you sure your front wheel was properly aligned in the forks before the axle pinch bolts were tightened. Your manual may have a specific sequence for tightening the axle bolt, then pumping the forks to properly seat the axle then finish by tightening the pinch bolts. Process may not apply to the KTM but costs you nothing the check.

check this^ along w rotor

I doubt it is your brake fluid ... either warped rotor or improperly mounted front wheel. There is a wrong way to do it and right way .... the first one can cause all kinds of crap feeling with or without engaging front brake. It could also be the wheel itself, but probably much longer shot than the other causes.

Back
Top Bottom