Does G license history affect M license? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Does G license history affect M license?

Vuthyy

So I've always wanted a motorcycle, but I've always been told insurance was too much. Then I got a ticket with in my car (woops), and my insurance shot up by 130 a month (youth is a wonderful thing). Now I can handle an extra 130 a month, but if I'm paying extra for insurance, I might as well be riding something I want. So the question is, when applying for insurance for my bike, will I have a clean record? I'll apply for a different insurance company so they don't know me. Thanks.

There is only one license. It would become a GM. So it depends on whether or not the individual company uses car data to process motorcycles. Sometimes you get a discount for having more than one vehicle at a company.

Your record does affect insurance on what ever you insure. Bike or car.

The kicker?

Your years insured for the car may not count as experience for your motorcycle. So you are facing a ticket and no years insured on a bike.

Essentially putting from the pan and into the fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes and no, your years of driving a car do not qualify as any experience on bike insurance, you'll be a new rider
but tickets against you that are still showing on a record search will give you a conviction surcharge on bike insurance

x2 all of the above - the car ticket will most certainly effect the motorcycle insurance rate. You only have one licence number with just different endorsements, so a ticket is a ticket is a ticket in the eye of an insurer.

Going to a different insurance company won't help either - they will pull your abstract as well as your Autoplus (claims history) as part of an underwriting so all your skeletons come out of the closet. To the contrary trying to hide anything by trying to tell them you are a clean record only for them to find out otherwise is a good way to dig your hole even deeper - don't do it.

Of course any previous driving records are going to affect your rates. Insurance companies are trying to find out how risky you are as a driver so they can reasonably bet on your early demise.

Another interesting tidbit... While you are in your M1/M2 phase, and there is a zero blood alcohol tolerance level, this restriction will also apply to your G license no matter how long you've been driving for.

That is what we were told when getting our M2 in the riders training from Learning Curves.

Last edited:
Of course any previous driving records are going to affect your rates. Insurance companies are trying to find out how risky you are as a driver so they can reasonably bet on your early demise.

Another interesting tidbit... While you are in your M1/M2 phase, and there is a zero blood alcohol tolerance level, this restriction will also apply to your G license no matter how long you've been driving for.

That is what we were told when getting our M2 in the riders training from Learning Curves.
Thats not true. In your car you can theoretically have a drink (although I don't condone it) and as long as you don't blow over .05 or .08, you are fine.
When on your bike there is no tolerance with an M1 or M2

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

We were SPECIFICALLY told this fact in the M2 classroom session at Learning Curves. I did not confirm it with MTO at the time and now have full GM and don't care. I can't find anything to confirm or deny it with a google search. I am just passing along what I was told... do your own research.

We were SPECIFICALLY told this fact in the M2 classroom session at Learning Curves

I have heard the same, but admittedly have always questioned the validity of that information as it seems...wrong.

I have a class A licence, but when I had my M1 I was not magically restricted from driving a tractor trailer at night or on the 401 because of such, no different than how anyone with a regular class G would also not be subject to those same restrictions. So, some restrictions (0BAC and points) somehow magically translate to ones regular licence from the M1/M2 restrictions, but others do not?

Yeah, it doesn't seem right when you look at it from that perspective.

I really do need to call someone high up at the MTO and get an answer from the horses mouth.

I don't have a link to anything at the mto, but I am a bike instructor in Durham. That b.s. you were told by Learning Curves is not what we teach at the Canada Safety Council courses.

You are in your car, you are on your G1, G2, G stipulations.

On the bike, bike stipulations.

Privatepilot put it well.

"Sir, do you know why I pulled you over tonight? You happen to be driving your CAR with a passenger on a 400 series highway at night, when my records show you just wrote your m1 temporary permit."

Different stipulations, different vehicles.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom