Bikes needing premium gas getting short end | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bikes needing premium gas getting short end

Ethereal

Anyone else find it annoying when filling or topping up your bikes tank with premium gas that you are getting shorted maybe a liter? If the guy before you filled with 87 then your first liter or so is 87 and you put 5L in your tank you only get 80% of what you paid for. Here is my issue. During reg daily driving you will notice nothing, but on track day you will find that is whenyour engine just does not seem right and knocks from fuel pre-igniting. My solution has been to put the a few liters into my truck first, then fill the can. Do any stations have the separate nozzle and hose for 91 anymore?

Duff_lite_%26_dry.png

So even Shell knows it

The only time such a small quantity would be of concern would be when filling a very small tank, such as a motorcycle.

Your S750 has a 17.5L tank, so you should be alright. Don't tell me that thing takes premium? For something that is specifically a street bike that would piss me off

It takes 91. 16L tank. Needs it as it has some sweet upper rpm magic. Reviewers never touch on it. Its not the cost for me. I did a top up up on a few rain days at the same station and had some performance loss. Blamed the station. Then got stuck having to fill at it. Bike was fine. It was my top ups that killed me.

No way you'd be able to detect performance loss from 1L of regular fuel in a 17L tank. It's all in your head.

It was from multiple top ups, not just one like in my example. Each one diluted the 91 more. Only had issues over 9k. It was noticeable. I work on all my machines and know as soon it something does not pur just right. It was more then 1 liter and had I just run normal engine speeds I would never have noticed it.

Some petro Can that were formally Sunoco, have some dedicated nozzles for premium fuel.

I guess adapting to fuel up by letting the tank get low is the best method? I generally avoid topping up unless I'm heading on a trip where fuel stops are unknown or know to be some distance away.

The others suggestion of having a fuel can or two and having them full and at home is a good idea.

My bikes do call for 91. I know, heavy slow HD products and they are the two that call for premium.

Anyways, in general use, from various suppliers, I've never run into any issues. I have tested both with regular grade fuel and do experience knock, poor performance and less range.

So, I stick with what the bikes call for. Used to try and stick with Shell but, after touring a bit, I just use what ever station is handy when I'm running low.

Unless they it's time to put them away and then I go with Shell and stabilizer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Average hose holds ~ .5l. And there's always a chance that the person ahead of you filled with 91.

I'm sure many of you are aware of this, but Shell pumps show which grade of gas was used by the previous customer - you'll see a wide and thin arrow on top of the price of whichever grade was pumped last.

Hmm, I use regular, but I might have to start filling up *after* my riding buddies who have engines that require Premium :) :)

Cruise around the pump islands quickly doing the math in your head for what the previous customer at each pump paid per litre if it concerns you that much.

Just pump the first litre onto the ground. Problem solved.

People look at me funny, but I've been doing this for years......thought everyone on a bike did it???

^ did not know that. Will take notice the next time. My solution is to avoid just topping up, unless a bud fills his bike first ;)

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Offer the first litre to the guy in the lane opposite yours - the hose will usually reach and few people, once the issue is explained to them, would turn down a free litre of gas.

In related news, I'm glad my bike only requires 87. It actually runs crappier on 91 and gets terrible fuel mileage to boot.

This actually bothers me slightly filling up my high comp bike with 94, and only needing like 5L. I am convinced I am only getting like 4L of 94 and the rest of some other stuff.

This actually bothers me slightly filling up my high comp bike with 94, and only needing like 5L. I am convinced I am only getting like 4L of 94 and the rest of some other stuff.

So only fill up when you're empty, or if you're constantly topping up get a jerry can of 94 at home and fill from it.

Although I'm sure there's valid reasons for some people to constantly top up, I admit I don't get why so many people fret about actually using the lower half of their fuel tanks - the average bike can go at LEAST 200K on a tank, some smaller CC ones in the 300 range - so why the urgency to fill up after every 50-100K?

Back
Top Bottom