2006 Honda Shadow Aero Help | GTAMotorcycle.com

2006 Honda Shadow Aero Help

Shivw1

Hello all,

I'm hoping that I am posting this in the right area. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This isn't my 1st post on this forum, but my 1st ask for help.

I recently picked up a 2006 Honda Shadow Aero with just shy of 17,000km on it. I got it safetied at Rosey Toes shop by Ted. The bike looks and drives very cleanly. The bike came with a new battery as well. I've been driving it for about two weeks or so now.

I noticed that when I start the bike, if I don't put the choke on right away the bike dies. What I mean by that is that it will stop. I restart and the same thing happens again if I don't put on the choke. I put the choke on for a couple of minutes (not on full, I pull the knob about half way) and when the engine warms up, it's fine. I then proceed to drive.

Just yesterday I took the bike out for a spin. I was driving close to my house when I was in 2nd gear and the bike stopped. When I say stopped, I mean the engine stopped and I could not accelerate. I was able to safely pull over. I restarted it and it stopped again. I kept restarting and it would then drive for a bit and then stop. Sometimes it died in 1st, other times it died when I shifted into 1st. I was able to get it home as I was not too far. I checked the gas tank, and it did seem low on gas, however the gas light has never come on.

I was told that I could get around 200kms to the tank. I haven't driven that many kms. If I were to guess, I would say that I have driven maybe 5-6hrs in city traffic. I looked at the tank when I 1st got it, and it looked filled. After the bike had stalled, I checked it again and as mentioned it looked low.

Later that night (6-7 hrs later) after it stalled around 2pm, I restarted the bike and drove it in my parking garage. She drove just fine and I shifted into 2nd. The engine seemed as it normally does. I did hit the choke for a bit when I started it.

Does anybody have any ideas as to what they think it might be? This is my 1st bike, I am not too mechanically inclined. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I want to ride sooo badly! It's been an amazing experience thus far. At this point, I am afraid to drive it in case it stalls somewhere on the road.

I don't know if to get it back to the mechanic, or if that may be for some specific reason that anybody may know and I should get gas and be good to drive again.

Based on the bike's behaviour I was wondering if it was maybe just gas, maybe the alternator (the electrical still worked though when the bike died), or something to do with carbonators or spark plugs or something.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
So this was a one time occurrence? I've always used the choke to start my bikes....even in summer. Have you refilled the tank since?

I'm confused. Your bike misbehaves on a cold start when the choke isn't used, but functions normally when the choke is used as it should?

What's the problem?

via Tapatalk

I think some people didn't read the tail end of the post. The bike is dying when hot as well.

OP - 200KM on a tank might be touching reserve territory for some bikes - not sure abut the shadow exactly, but my VTX runs out at 250K and it has a bigger tank. Just because you can still see fuel in the tank doesn't mean it's not "empty" on normal - that could be the reserve fuel you're seeing.

Go with the easy stuff first - fill it with gas a report back of the problem persists. Switch the fuel valve to reserve to get to the gas station. Be sure to switch it back to normal after you fill up otherwise you'll find that reserve gone some day when you need it on the side of the road. ;)

I wanna say that the Shadows for that year had an issue with the kickstand switch killing the engine bc it didn't stay in the up position properly.
And yes, you need to use the choke.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

If it's got a choke, it will have a reserve. Look for the fuel shut off. Will have on/off and res.

Turn to Res and should keep running.

One thing to consider, if starting and running, probably burning some fuel and not really getting the range you typically will get once you've gone through a tank or two of fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wanna say that the Shadows for that year had an issue with the kickstand switch killing the engine bc it didn't stay in the up position properly.
And yes, you need to use the choke.

Also a possibility.

OP, when it shuts off/stalls, does it do it like someone turned off the key (suddenly and cleanly), or does it sputter, hack, cough, kick, and then eventually die?

The former would be indicative of an electrical issue somewhere including possibly the kickstand switch. The latter would be typical of running out of gas.

Not necessarily. Mine doesn't have a reserve switch ...or a fuel petcock per se.

Sure, make me google and find out a 2006 Honda Shadow Aero has a fuel shut off with reserve.

Sorry for the general/blanket statement. Not all bikes with a choke/enrichner have a peacock.

Then again FI Bonnie's have a choke too. So, I should have been careful what I posted originally.

Cheers!

Put some gas in it, go for a ride and see what happens.
If it messes up again switch to reserve and see what happens.
This isn't rocket surgery....

@TK4 rocket surgery? Is that like rocket science and brain surgery combined?? ?

When I had a shadow 1100 I could barely get 200-220 kms on a tank.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Hi all,
Thanks so much for all the advice. I believe it was just fuel. I'm not sure how old the gas sitting in the tank was. I read some stuff about old gas and bikes. It didn't make the world of sense, but I got rid of what was left in there and put a fresh tank of 91...She seems to be running fine now..

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

start with full choke when engine is cool. it is not unusual to still have the choke on (full or partial) several minutes after starting. previous posters have offered up some good advice. One thing about your older bike...looking in the tank is there any indications of rust? If you see even traces of rust in the tank or on its sides.....putting an inline fuel filter between the tank and carbs may save you headaches down the road. These in line gas filters are cheap and easy to install on the fuel line. Where to get them? royal distributing maybe? auto parts place? or maybe even cdn tire? make sure you know the fuel line inside diameter, or even bring a portion of the fuel line to check for fit of the in line filter when buying. All you need is the right size diameter fuel filter (to fit hose diameter properly ) and a couple of worm screw hose clamps. a stitch in time saves nine. The problem you are having may be caused by tiny rust particles wreaking havoc in the carbs. this is only a guess - but a $5-10 fuel filter is cheap insurance against rust particles and offers peace of mind. nice ride.

Last edited:
Glad it was something simple.

By the way, don't waste your money on 91 octane fuel for a Shadow - it doesn't need it and may actually run worse using it like my VTX1300 does. The only exception would be at the end of the season when you're putting the bike away for the winter, then make sure to run all the regular gas out of it and buy a tank full of premium with no ethanol (the no ethanol part being the more important bit, but it's only an option in premium gas options) for storage to prevent water issues. Canadian Tire, Sunoco, and Costco are amongst the only no-ethanol premium options now, take note.

Sure, make me google and find out a 2006 Honda Shadow Aero has a fuel shut off with reserve.

Sorry for the general/blanket statement. Not all bikes with a choke/enrichner have a peacock.

Then again FI Bonnie's have a choke too. So, I should have been careful what I posted originally.

Cheers!

lmao yeah go check-thx for the laugh. and ..F injected bikes don't have a choke, isn't it an enrichener circuit? wink wink yeah im a weinier for mentioning this lol. same effect.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom