New Bike Registration Question | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Bike Registration Question

xchox

So I bought a new bike. The guy at Service Ontario told me in order to register the bike as fit I need insurance. Can someone clarify this as every previous vehicle I have registered only needed the safety and emissions documentation to register a vehicle as fit. Insurance was only added when I decided to drive/ride said vehicles.

You should only need to provide insurance if you want to plate the bike for the road. Just to transfer as fit into your name but not plated shouldn't require it.

Without a safety or insurance you can only change the bike into your name as "UNFIT", but no plates.

With a safety but no insurance you can change the bike into your name as "FIT", but still no plates.

With a safety AND insurance you can change the bike into your name as well as get your plates at the same time.

So the person at the kiosk was either new, or didn't understand what you wanted. If you have a current safety go back ASAP (They are only good for so many days) and get it in your name with FIT status. You can worry about the insurance later and come back then, but take note it will cost you again ($15IIRC for the new ownership, plus your 23 hours waiting in line) doing it this way. If you're planning to get insurance inside the time window before the safety expires, you could just wait and do it all at once saving yourself a second trip to Service Ontario.

How about insurance, plates from previous bike along with still valid sticker but no safety ?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I'd like to register my bike in my name so I can ride it to a shop for the certification. I guess a temp sticker is in order.

You can only get a temp sticker using the previous owners "FIT" ownership BEFORE you transfer it. Once it's in your name as "UNFIT" vehicles are no longer eligible for temp stickers.

Back
Top Bottom