Thinking of upgrading to a bigger motorcycle | GTAMotorcycle.com

Thinking of upgrading to a bigger motorcycle

IbbadMurtaza

Hey there fellow bikers! Hope you guys are doing well and have enjoyed today's beautiful weather.

I have an urgent question, since I won't be able to talk to my insurance agent until Monday, hope you guys could answer it.

I purchased a 2015 Kawasaki Ninja Ex-300 earlier in April of this year. I finished my Motorcycle Safety Foundation course, got my insurance and registration on the first of May, 2017. This is my first motorcycle, but unfortunately I'm quite bored of it, so I want a bigger bike, like a Zx6r or a ninja 650.

I'm 23 years old, and pay $1700/year for my Ex-300. I want to sell the bike and buy a bigger bike, but don't want to buy the bike and find out that my premium has increased by a lot. Can anyone let me know what my premium could be like? Your help would be much appreciated.

Rev ON

Get another year or 2 on it at minimum, you still wont be able to afford the zx6r insurance.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Get another year or 2 on it at minimum, you still wont be able to afford the zx6r insurance.

As I understand, the Zx-6r is a super sport motorcycle. So my insurance could or will be extremely high. Do you think a regular Ninja 650 would be cheaper?

Rev ON

do some googling and find online quote generators
will not be completely accurate but will give you an idea of the difference between the 2 bikes

New Rider, New Bike correct. I have to be blunt here, learn to ride the F'n bike you have and you won't be bored. Take an advanced skills course. You really have only scratched the surface of what you can do on the bike you have.
Go learn trail braking for cornering, master counter steering and emergency stopping. The list of things to practice is endless and while you're mastering those things you won't be bored. When your done, you'll hopefully be skilled and old enough that the insurance and extra horse power won't kill you.
Holier than thou rant over, carry on.

As I understand, the Zx-6r is a super sport motorcycle. So my insurance could or will be extremely high. Do you think a regular Ninja 650 would be cheaper?

Rev ON
Probably, but i bet i can outride that 300 in the corners, you want to master that 300 and be insured for a couple of years on it before you think of moving up, its the reality of living in ontario, not to mention 3 months doesnt really mean much in terms of experience.

I can guarantee you a few years from now they'll have a new bike that comes out that you'll want and will thank yourself for not spending the money on the 650

Hey there fellow bikers! Hope you guys are doing well and have enjoyed today's beautiful weather.

I have an urgent question, since I won't be able to talk to my insurance agent until Monday, hope you guys could answer it.

I purchased a 2015 Kawasaki Ninja Ex-300 earlier in April of this year. I finished my Motorcycle Safety Foundation course, got my insurance and registration on the first of May, 2017. This is my first motorcycle, but unfortunately I'm quite bored of it, so I want a bigger bike, like a Zx6r or a ninja 650.

I'm 23 years old, and pay $1700/year for my Ex-300. I want to sell the bike and buy a bigger bike, but don't want to buy the bike and find out that my premium has increased by a lot. Can anyone let me know what my premium could be like? Your help would be much appreciated.

Rev ON

BORED of the 300?? That bike is a blast man.. slipper clutch and all.
If you're bored of it, you're doing it "wrong" ....

Unless of course, you are this guy
[video=youtube;Kz03sQeX02c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz03sQeX02c[/video]

Skip the 600/650 and just go for the litre bike. You'll be bored with anything less if the 300 has you bored already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're paying 1700 for an ex300, you'll be paying 4-5k with a 600 IF you can even get insurance.
Don't kid yourself, your 300 is more than enough.
But I'll take that 300 off you for 3k. Help you pay off that 600 insurance

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Id buy his 300

its so light, and red lines at 13k...

New Rider, New Bike correct. I have to be blunt here, learn to ride the F'n bike you have and you won't be bored. Take an advanced skills course. You really have only scratched the surface of what you can do on the bike you have.
Go learn trail braking for cornering, master counter steering and emergency stopping. The list of things to practice is endless and while you're mastering those things you won't be bored. When your done, you'll hopefully be skilled and old enough that the insurance and extra horse power won't kill you.
Holier than thou rant over, carry on.

Thanks! I am working on my corners and counter steering to avoid potholes and stuff.

Rev ON

Probably, but i bet i can outride that 300 in the corners, you want to master that 300 and be insured for a couple of years on it before you think of moving up, its the reality of living in ontario, not to mention 3 months doesnt really mean much in terms of experience.

I can guarantee you a few years from now they'll have a new bike that comes out that you'll want and will thank yourself for not spending the money on the 650

I appreciate your advice brother

Rev ON

If you're paying 1700 for an ex300, you'll be paying 4-5k with a 600 IF you can even get insurance.
Don't kid yourself, your 300 is more than enough.
But I'll take that 300 off you for 3k. Help you pay off that 600 insurance

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

After reading many replies. I'll keep my 300.
It seems like I really have not rode properly and there's a lot more potential in my bike.

Rev ON

lol, 3 months and you're already bored?? Truth is you just want to be able to pull back on the throttle and go light speed, reality is that's not what riding is about and your grandmama could do that...there's no skill involved. Actually learn how to ride before you get another bike.

I did over 100k km and had my 250 for 7 yrs before I got my Ducati, even now it still gets ridden more...I'm glad I waited because now I can actually enjoy my new bike to its potential rather than being scared ****less on it.

Now you don't have to keep a small bike as long as I did but suck it up and do a few seasons at least. The 250/300's are very capable bikes and I was always riding with supersports and not lagging behind. It did so well I just sucked it up the whole 7 years until I could buy that badass bike I really wanted. I was like you too, weighing my options and didn't want to settle for some Ninja 650 or SV so I did my time on the 250 until I knew I was financially/skillwise ready for a big boy bike...and at 27 paying less than 2 grand for insurance on a brand new Ducati I can't complain.

After reading many replies. I'll keep my 300.
It seems like I really have not rode properly and there's a lot more potential in my bike.

Rev ON

Good decision man...honestly though, I don't think you're ready for it but I'd love to take you for a ride with me on my 250. You'll see just what these little bikes are capable of. Get some more experience the next few months and hit me up in September or something. I was actually planning on starting a weekly ride for smaller bikes but with most guys on these bikes just having basic skill sets I didn't want anyone to get hurt and have them blaming me.

Last edited:
do some googling and find online quote generators
will not be completely accurate but will give you an idea of the difference between the 2 bikes

This is what I usually do when I start dreaming about a new bike. I use the TD site. If I ever do decide to drop the hammer, I will call my agent and try to confirm the quote before I close the deal.

Back
Top Bottom