SUV choices | GTAMotorcycle.com

SUV choices

jc100

I'm looking at the larger end of the compact SUV body type or a smaller medium size SUV to buy. Might buy new as I'd prefer a 1 y old low Kms car for the warranty and not really seen a lot out there.

Not looking at any American manufacturers, and not looking at the higher priced options either (no Audi or BMW or Benz models). I want the room in the back for two large dogs, some rear seat space for luggage and travelling **** and comfort up front for me and the wife. Don't need a third row of seats.

Went to look at a Subaru Forester and was pleasantly surprised for what you get for the money. I'm not big into the jellybean style of the newer SUVs and the boxy Forester has amazing visibility and a decent amount of space. Anyone have one? Anyone know anything about the turbocharged 2.0 boxer engine in them?

Looked at VW Atlas....nice build, OK price but it's pretty big. Price gets up there if you want a sunroof etc. Toyota Highlander was very nice but similar to the Atlas although you get all the new camera/radar based safety stuff as standard. Toyota Highlander has the separate rear opening glass which is awesome for dogs though.

Mazda CX5 was too small in the cargo area (sloped rear hatch door cuts off some headroom), CX9 was nice but again, adding some nice comfort options pushes the price up. I'd want leather, heated seats and a moonroof...decent stereo and nav.

Hyundai Santa Fe Sport seems just about right too. Nicely kitted out for the price. Anyone got one of these and can chime in?

I'm still just looking and need to go back for some test drives. Any opinions? I'm looking for low cost of ownership, reliability...and if I'm honest...I also like gadgets. Driveability is also important and I want AWD.

CX-9 would be high on my list. Lots of room, handles well, no turbo to worry about, and it's a beautiful vehicle. 216KM's on my CX-7 since I bought it new and it's only ever needed brakes and tires.

Couple friends have new Sante Fe Sports and like them and haven't had much problems.

Have a Forester last couple years. No complaints. Lots of room. Seats down you can fit a bathtub in the back.

We compared it to the rav, crv, vw, etc. In the end for us, it was the best bang for the buck. Wish it had a better stereo but that's about my only complaint. Heck even the CVT surprised how well it performs.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

My SIL loves her Santa Fe sport so much that my BIL bought a Santa Fe xl.
They have only positive things to say about them.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

One of my best friends has a Santa fe, bought new in 2012. They have never had a single repair (only consumables) in 140000km.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Definitely take a Toyota Highlander for a test drive. Great driving,comfortable,plenty of interior room. Reasonable on fuel. Plenty of power for towing also if needed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lexus Rx450h - if you into hybrids and looking to save money on gas.. Fantastic vehicle. Excellent gas mileage and luxurious.

If Not...then the Lexus Rx350

Lexus Rx450h - if you into hybrids and looking to save money on gas.. Fantastic vehicle. Excellent gas mileage and luxurious.

If Not...then the Lexus Rx350

What about Rav 4 hybrid? That would be the same engine wouldn't it? Hadn't looked at RAV4 but the cargo room looks comparable to the Forester.

What about Rav 4 hybrid? That would be the same engine wouldn't it? Hadn't looked at RAV4 but the cargo room looks comparable to the Forester.

Good question. Not sure to be honest. Will do some research.

I have a friend that has the 2014 RAV4 and it's a harsh ride. I don't find it comfortable either.

Edit:
Ooops mistake, he has the Honda CRV

Suburu makes an interesting and very reliable vehicle, AWD system has been perfected from decades of engineering
if you like them they are a smart purchase, but your neighbors might start rumours that you're a hipster

Leaning towards the larger end of the compact SUV line now. The big guys like the Highlander look great but have probably more space than we need realistically. Will look at Honda CRV, RAV4, Forester.

If resell value is important, the Forester is near the best.

The turbo requires mid-grade fuel. Possibly higher.

Fuel economy is decent for its size. The cvt is ok.

For 2014, the back up camera is small but, newer versions have a larger screen.

I never got one but, a few colleagues have and the really like it. The awd system is confidence inspiring.

My brother in law as a 2016 SanaFe. They love it. It was on our radar for a personal vehicle but, my wife wanted something smaller and went with a Kia Soul.

The SantaFe is a nice machine. But, can't say what it's like to own. But, if I was the fella making the choice and paying, it would be either one.

Not crazy about the RAV4 personally. But plenty of people like them so, can't be all that bad.

I have no reservations about the Korean offerings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Resale is a consideration. What's the resale of the Korean cars like? From a quick look see on Autotrader the Japanese SUVs definitely hold their value well.

The Subaru definitely looks like a more practical choice. The boxier rear end gives more useable cargo room than the sloped hatches of the others it seems. Not sure if it's lacking in creature comforts compared to the Toyota but we think we can afford the top trim of the Subaru with the turbo engine and that's pretty close in price to the top trim of the Rav 4 with hybrid engine.

Last edited:
You can run the Forester turbo on regular 87 fuel I think but you don't get the full ponies with that. Anyone clarify this for me? I don't want to put premium fuel in if I don't have to. Is there still a performance advantage to the turbo engine if I use regular fuel or would it be a waste?

Without knowing the specifics of that engine, running regular would likely result in knock, which in turn prompts the ecu to dial back the timing and boost. Premium will be better for the entire fuel system as well as helping to prevent carbon buildup. Just things to consider.

Edit: Also not up on the latest gen, but I have done countless Subaru head gaskets over the years due to oil leaks.

Without knowing the specifics of that engine, running regular would likely result in knock, which in turn prompts the ecu to dial back the timing and boost. Premium will be better for the entire fuel system as well as helping to prevent carbon buildup. Just things to consider.

Edit: Also not up on the latest gen, but I have done countless Subaru head gaskets over the years due to oil leaks.

Thanks...the write ups I've read say you can use regular and mention the horsepower drop but nothing else. Was the work on older Subarus?

My friend got a Murano, the premium version tho. I'd say the basic is comparable to the santa fe in price.
crazy cheap to maintain/insure ($200 every 20k?)
but...
12km/l hwy
8km/l city
Overall, great machine tho, lot's of tech stuff.

Back
Top Bottom