Can't start 250 honda rebel | GTAMotorcycle.com

Can't start 250 honda rebel

Hey

I'm new to riding bikes. Two days ago my uncle gave me his 250 Honda rebel. I took it for a few drives around the neighborhood just to practice. Yesterday I went to a friend's house a few blocks away with it. I noticed I drove all the way there with the choke on. It was only a few minute ride, but I know I should turn it off after I get going. When I went to start it again it wouldn't turn over. It sounded like a flooded engine. The more I tried the more tired it sounded. I gave up and rolled it home. Let it sit overnight and went to try it this morning. No go again. I think it's flooded. I know this could cause me to possibly have to do an oil change if my oil got diluted.

I have also made sure the petcock is on and not on off, and it has gas in it. I would just like some knowledge on what the actual problem is, or if I got the problem right. If it is flooding I would also like to know the procedure on how to fix it. Thank you everyone.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Your bike has the Keihin carburetor. I have the same engine in my CM250c. Believe me when I tell you not to twist the throttle more than 4 times before turning the bike over. Pull the choke, prime it with the throttle 3 times, then turn it over. Let it run for a minute then push in the choke to 1/2 and turn it off after you ride about 1km. It is a very simple, reliable carburetor, but it will flood quickly if you keep twisting that throttle trying to start it.

If it is badly flooded, push in the choke, take out the spark plugs and let the excess fuel evaporate for a couple of hours (you can speed this up by turning it over a few times with the plugs out). Check that the plugs are dry and reinstall them.

Do the other basic stuff too, like making sure the bike has fuel and the fuel petcock is in the ON position. The CM250 is an incredibly simple, reliable engine. Once you get used to it you will learn to love it.

Last edited:
.............When I went to start it again it wouldn't turn over. It sounded like a flooded engine. The more I tried the more tired it sounded.

Aside from Roadghost's comments you might want to speak to your uncle to see if he had any starting issues with the bike.

I will say that a flooded engine has no impact on how the bike turns over. If it is turning over slowly then you might have a battery issue. If you don't already have a battery tender you should get one.

Another way of clearing a flooded engine is to turn the petcock off, turn the choke off and hold the throttle wide open and keep it there then crank the engine for 10 - 15 seconds and repeat this 4 or 5 times. If it starts release the throttle and turn the petcock back on and nurse the throttle until it is running properly. If it does not start let it sit for a few minutes and then turn the petcock back on and try to start as you normally would.

Hey

I'm new to riding bikes. Two days ago my uncle gave me his 250 Honda rebel. I took it for a few drives around the neighborhood just to practice. Yesterday I went to a friend's house a few blocks away with it. I noticed I drove all the way there with the choke on. It was only a few minute ride, but I know I should turn it off after I get going. When I went to start it again it wouldn't turn over. It sounded like a flooded engine. The more I tried the more tired it sounded. I gave up and rolled it home. Let it sit overnight and went to try it this morning. No go again. I think it's flooded. I know this could cause me to possibly have to do an oil change if my oil got diluted.

I have also made sure the petcock is on and not on off, and it has gas in it. I would just like some knowledge on what the actual problem is, or if I got the problem right. If it is flooding I would also like to know the procedure on how to fix it. Thank you everyone.

"wouldn't turnover" was more likely a weak or slow turnover cos you then said "The more I tried the more tired it sounded"

sounds like a weak batt that might just need a charge, a bad batt won't take a proper charge or you might also have a charging issue with the bike

Hey

And this is bad because.........

Thanks for all the other replys going home now to try to get her going. Also thank you for all the tips and tricks.

Riding the bike with full choke will not do anything to cause it to not start latter.

When you went to start it up again it wouldn't turn over, that is battery related not fuel

The more you tried the more tired it sounded, yup, because you were daring the battery, possibly pooched the battery by drawing it so low.

You let it sit over night but what do you mean no go, it won't turn over, turns over as you say "tired" or it just won't start and run

Did your oil level go up, if not well then you don't have gas in it and no need for an oil change, and if your not short on gas well that also tells you the gas us in the gas tank and not in the engine with the oil

How to fix this will depend on what is actually wrong.

Boost battery so it's fully charged, or get jumper cables hook to non running car and try to start bike, no throttle, just choke and crank over till she starts to catch and or run, but don't burn out the starter by cranking for ever.

Or ask uncle for help on starting bike, I could help but not sure where u r

Best of luck

Riding the bike with full choke will not do anything to cause it to not start latter.

When you went to start it up again it wouldn't turn over, that is battery related not fuel

The more you tried the more tired it sounded, yup, because you were daring the battery, possibly pooched the battery by drawing it so low.

You let it sit over night but what do you mean no go, it won't turn over, turns over as you say "tired" or it just won't start and run

Did your oil level go up, if not well then you don't have gas in it and no need for an oil change, and if your not short on gas well that also tells you the gas us in the gas tank and not in the engine with the oil

How to fix this will depend on what is actually wrong.

Boost battery so it's fully charged, or get jumper cables hook to non running car and try to start bike, no throttle, just choke and crank over till she starts to catch and or run, but don't burn out the starter by cranking for ever.

Or ask uncle for help on starting bike, I could help but not sure where u r

Best of luck
Hey man, you are completely right. It was the battery. I push started it and now it runs fine. I find that odd since I just spent a grand for a shop to repair everything. Guess they didn't put in a new battery.

The oil level was fine, I completely mis-diagnosed it. I really apreciate all your guys help.

A grand on repairs? Please list what they 'repaired' so you can decide if you ever want to go back there again!!

Well truth be told I didn't take it myself to the shop, my uncle did. It's been sitting for 10 years and was a little worse for wear. Maybe he did get ripped off. I'm just glad he paid for it all and gifted it to me.

Myself, I work on vehicles and only take it in when I'm stumped. So I'm sure I won't see those guys again.

Sitting for 10 years(if not stored properly) would need the carbs cleaned, new tires, batt., maybe new chain and sprockets, all fluids changed, etc. So parts and labour a grand doesn't sound too far off. That said, what do the batt., tires, drive system look like? Were they done or was it given a once over to just get running?

Yeah, I would check with uncle to see if they replaced the battery. If they did, I would get them to exchange it.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

Sitting for 10 years(if not stored properly) would need the carbs cleaned, new tires, batt., maybe new chain and sprockets, all fluids changed, etc. So parts and labour a grand doesn't sound too far off. That said, what do the batt., tires, drive system look like? Were they done or was it given a once over to just get running?
Everything looks good. It also had to pass an out of province inspection. But I don't think the battery was touched because it died on me again after a 30k cruise today. I've got good at push starting it. Going to get a new battery tomorrow

Yeah, I would check with uncle to see if they replaced the battery. If they did, I would get them to exchange it.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app
Yea that's a good tip cause after a 30k cruise today it died. If they did replace it, it's no good.

Everything looks good. It also had to pass an out of province inspection. But I don't think the battery was touched because it died on me again after a 30k cruise today. I've got good at push starting it. Going to get a new battery tomorrow

Well it might not be just a battery issue, you could be having issues with the charging system as well

If it's not a new battery and shop won't replace it, before buying a new battery get the one you have load tested....if it passes that and will hold a charge, then you might be having a charging issue, the shop might be on the hook to repair that, but more than likely not...

OP, keep in mind that a decade (or more) old Honda Rebel is worth about $2,000 so don't spend more than its value unless your uncle is paying for everything still.

I'd be also curious as to what exactly the shop replaced for $1,000 if you can get your hands on the bill. It's good to know anyhow, for your own piece of mind.

Last edited:
At least you can bump start yours, this is how my day ended yesterday.
Stopped for a drink, bike wouldn't start again. Battery is fried, going to get a new one and check out the charging system.
Luckily for me, the wife is used to being my recovery team over the last 20 years.
6015474660b4398b64b25813c3b8bc6b.jpg

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Myself, I work on vehicles and only take it in when I'm stumped...

Recommendation: purchase a digital multi meter. Measuring voltage - key off, key on, running - is the basis for a self assessment of the battery and charging system. A DMM will come in handy for many more tasks as well.

Back
Top Bottom