Buying first toolset | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying first toolset

You may need some Torx bits, as well.

Here's a handy mini ratchet set from Crappy Tire:

0588626_1

https://m.canadiantire.ca/products/productDetail/0588626P/false/false/false?selectedSku=0588626

It has an adapter to drive quarter inch sockets. $40, but wait for a sale. I got mine for ten bucks.

via Tapatalk

That kit is great! I got it with a Mastercraft toolkit a long time ago. Bring it with me on every bike trip.

One of the most frustrating things is not having the right tool for the job. You might only need a few sockets the majority of the time, but there will come a time when you are half way through a job and find that you need something different.

Personally, if I was buying a toolset, I would take the plunge and buy the kit below. Pair it with a screwdriver and a plier set

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...-1-2-in-drive-socket-set-384-pc-0589641p.html

That set might be a bit overkill for starting out. Hell, my set I've had for a few decades is probably under 100 pcs and I used maybe 10-20 of the sockets. Anything bigger than 21mm I got a small set of 1/2" sockets and a breaker bar and torque ratchet. Use em on cars, bikes, etc. Over time you end up collecting tools that you need. Bought a set of metric ratchet wrenches when they were on sale almost 10 years ago....still haven't opened the package. lol

+1 on the recomendation to avoid 12pt sockets, if its a stubborn fitting a 12pt can slip and wreck it. They are cheaper to produce which is why you often see them in 'kits' on sale.

I wish I bought cheaper tools, said nobody ever.....

Most convenient things I've ever bought in my life for working on the cars/bikes. Colour coded sockets from Princess Auto. They come on a plastic holder that I just keep them on. I have boxes of tools and hex/driver sets and I use these all of the time. Don't think I'd pay $24 for them, I got them on sale sometime.

90% of your work will use 3 sockets and 3 hex head sizes.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/det...c-colour-coded-shallow-socket-set/A-p8413478e
https://www.princessauto.com/en/det...allow-colour-coded-sae-socket-set/A-p8413619e

This will be your life.
sherlock-holmes-and-the-case-of-th-missing-10mm-socket-17134448.png

In addition to the things mentioned, I like to use an oil drain pan that I can close up and take somewhere to dispose of the oil. It also has a mesh screen so if you drop the drain plug, it's easier to grab it than fishing into the oil in the pan.
Something like: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/plastic-oil-drain-pan-with-lid-11-3-l-0283108p.html#srp

I have the same one but just keep in mind its got to fit under the bike. That one doesnt fit under my sport bike with the fairings and exhaust on, so I just use a baking pan and then dump the oil into that container so i can drive it somewhere to get rid of it.

As far as tools I love the mastercraft stuff, they go on super sale at canadian tired and most of it has a lifetime warranty. Since I only use them as hobby tools, its not a huge deal when one breaks, I can just take it back to canadian tire and get a direct replacement off the shelf. I think technically only the "maximum" series is lifetime warranty now but I've never had a problem replacing the normal branded stuff. One time I lost my 9mm 1/4" drive, found it a year later in the gutter completely flat and rusted to **** but you could still see "Mastercraft 9mm" stamped on it, took it in, got a brand new one off the shelf no questions asked.

In addition to a 1/2" torque wrench, you'll need a 3/8" one, preferably in inch-pounds.

If you're going to change tires, you'll likely need an axle socket:

Motion_Pro_Hex_Axle_Tool_Chrome.jpg

About twenty bucks at any bike shop.

You'll also need a set of tire spoons and some sort of static wheel balancer. Buy one or make your own. Get a good quality tire pressure gauge. An air compressor, a hundred buck cheapie will do.

And don't forget wheel stands. Absolutely essential for this kind of work.

via Tapatalk

or you can find a shop that does tire changes cheap in your area, and bring them the wheels...I use a 12" adj wrench on axle nuts w/o a problem-may be different on late model bikes ? I would need to be changing at least four or five tires a year to make it worthwhile changing tires myself. That said, I do have tire spoons in my toolbox, but only use them to change the odd dirtbike tire without balancing. not saying don't invest in the tools - just something to think about.

Last edited:
I haven't remembered to buy an axle socket yet, I keep using the two nuts on a bolt trick.

or you can find a shop that does tire changes cheap in your area, and bring them the wheels...I use a 12" adj wrench on axle nuts w/o a problem-may be different on late model bikes ? I would need to be changing at least four or five tires a year to make it worthwhile changing tires myself. That said, I do have tire spoons in my toolbox, but only use them to change the odd dirtbike tire without balancing. not saying don't invest in the tools - just something to think about.

I generally feel like adjustable wrenches are not okay for anything mechanical. It seems to me you would round off axle nuts, or that they wouldn't get tightened enough.

Unless you have a centre stand, you will soon find that you need a stand/jack/hoist for your bike in order to keep it vertical and/or get the wheels off the ground

I am in the market for something like that, but I haven't decided specifically what to get yet

Milk crates and car jacks with work pretty well.

Most convenient things I've ever bought in my life for working on the cars/bikes. Colour coded sockets from Princess Auto. They come on a plastic holder that I just keep them on. I have boxes of tools and hex/driver sets and I use these all of the time. Don't think I'd pay $24 for them, I got them on sale sometime.

90% of your work will use 3 sockets and 3 hex head sizes.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/det...c-colour-coded-shallow-socket-set/A-p8413478e
https://www.princessauto.com/en/det...allow-colour-coded-sae-socket-set/A-p8413619e

This will be your life.
sherlock-holmes-and-the-case-of-th-missing-10mm-socket-17134448.png
10mm sockets are like socks in a dryer... They just disappear and reappear. At any given time I have between 0 and 6 of them!

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

A lot of my tools are hand-me-downs from older relatives, and will live forever​. I think my 3/8 socket wrench is a Mastercraft from the 50's. For anything that you are going to use repeatedly it's worth getting better quality, but for some of the more specific to one task stuff, I go cheap with Princess Auto.

Mastercraft used to have a lifetime warranty on their hand tools, but I believe that changed some time back. Princess Auto, even with their cheapest stuff has an unconditional lifetime warranty.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys I'm now on my way to purchase the maximum 168pc socket set.

For the rest of the suggestions I've copied it down and saved it in my maintenance folder. Will get them once my pay cheque comes lol

Where do you guys get your JIS screwdrivers?

I haven't remembered to buy an axle socket yet, I keep using the two nuts on a bolt trick.

I generally feel like adjustable wrenches are not okay for anything mechanical. It seems to me you would round off axle nuts, or that they wouldn't get tightened enough.

yes I hear you on adj wrenches. rounding of bolt/nut heads isn't as big an issue with large bolts like an axle nut. snug the adj wrench up tight as you can get it before turning. My adj wrench has been removing axle nuts for 30 years now..I haven't rounded any nuts - but I hear you and you are right to use a proper tool for the job. my 12" adj opens up to 45mm, I also have a 15" adj wrench in case Im working on an old farm tractor (you can fix just about anything on an old tractor with those two adj wrench's lol). my 12"adj wrench doesn't get a lot of use, and still looks good after 30+ years. Welcome to the gear head side mr regder....

Last edited:
+1 on the recomendation to avoid 12pt sockets, if its a stubborn fitting a 12pt can slip and wreck it. They are cheaper to produce which is why you often see them in 'kits' on sale.

I wish I bought cheaper tools, said nobody ever.....

12 point sockets are made for a specific application. If you are in a tight spot where you can only turn the ratchet a small amount...say less than a quarter turn, with a six point socket you may not be able to turn the wrench enough for the ratchet to click and catch, however, by using a 12 point socket you may have just enough "room" to ratchet enough to click and catch for the next pull. Otherwise use a 6 point when able.

Excellent thread. OP, post feedback about your purchase. I need tools too, but I would want minimal set to get most of the job done. I would leave tire removal and chain install to professional, just because I am scared haha.

Back
Top Bottom