Buying first toolset | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying first toolset

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...-drive-torque-wrench-sae-metric-0589399p.html

is $69 a good deal or should I wait? I don't need it right now but saw in a couple tutorials that it is required

You aren't going to get it cheaper. Check the calibration when you get it though, mine was off by 30% (which makes it much worse than nothing). Ideally you would check by using weights at a distance, but in a pinch comparing it to other torque wrenches can give you some comfort.

EDIT:
Mine is a 1/2" Maximum but it is different than the one shown in that listing. I have no idea if it is an entirely different supplier or whether they just made some cosmetic changes over time.

Interesting, the CT video on torque wrenches says dial it back to zero, some manufacturers want you to leave 10 to 20% preload on the spring. I dial mine back a bunch, but not all the way out (typically ~20 ft/lb on the 1/2" for storage)

Last edited:
I am shopping for torque wrenches, too.

I'm not too sure that it matters, but the Maximum brand only has a 1-year warranty.

Sometimes they offer the corresponding Stanley wrenches for the same price, but with a lifetime warranty.

Oh, really? It used to be lifetime on the wrench (limited warranty on the calibration but can't remember how long it was). If they don't come with a lifetime warranty anymore I will stop recommending them

Oh, really? It used to be lifetime on the wrench (limited warranty on the calibration but can't remember how long it was). If they don't come with a lifetime warranty anymore I will stop recommending them
When was the last time you saw a broken torque wrench? Out of calibration happens all the time, but I can imagine the entertainment when you tried to explain to canadian tire staff how you know it's messed up. Calibrating at home only takes a few minutes and then you know it's correct, the new one may be messed up out of the box.

I exchanged one CT torque wrench after the selector handle broke (would just spin), easy transaction

I have the Mastercraft one. Use it mostly on bike rear axle and car tire lug nuts. This is a good price.

You'll need a 3/8" drive torque wrench in inch-pounds, too.

via Tapatalk

I just realized I need a 24mm socket for the rear wheel.

biggest one I have in my socket set is only 21mm

Should I exchange the current box for a bigger set (There's one on sale for $160, mine was $99), so I can reduce the chance of similar situation in the future.

Or should I buy a set of larger size sockets, if socan you guys point me to the right direction, I can't find a set like that in CT.

Or just pickup a single 24mm for $10?

Just pick up a small larger size deep set for the 1/2" torque wrench....and a 1/2" breaker bar. I have a 13-24mm set and only ever used 3 of them. lol

might also want one for your front sprocket nut.

Last edited:
Or should I buy a set of larger size sockets, if socan you guys point me to the right direction, I can't find a set like that in CT.

Or just pickup a single 24mm for $10?

$10 isn't bad. If it was much more, I would investigate a set of big sockets from Princess Auto. When they go on sale, you can get all of the big sockets you will ever need for less than the price of a single decent socket. For a home-gamer they will last forever. I think my set (something like 22 to 50 mm) was <$50. It doesn't get used often, but when it does it is invaluable.

EDIT:
$2.50, that's awesome. Good job.

In case it hasn't been mentioned to you already, do not use the torque wrench to loosen or remove nuts...only use it on re-assembly to torque the nut to spec.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Back
Top Bottom