Buying first toolset | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying first toolset

fuwafuwa

Hello everyone, I just got my first motorcycle recently and planning to learn how to perform some simple maintenance/upgrades to the bike. I have some very basic tool but they are more for a general purpose only so I am planning to assemble a toolset for bikes only.

Work that I am planning to do:
Oil change
Change tires
Brake pads

What tools should I be looking at for these jobs? I don't mind spending a little bit more for better quality tools.

I'm thinking torque wrench and screwdrivers, any reputable brands?

Am I missing any other tools?

T handle allen wrenches
oil filter strap wrench.
Basic screwdriver, and basic socket set

Canadian tire is your friend.....

wait for the sales, buy the best you can, the Maximum line is good, the Stanley line is acceptable as well, look for the all in one kits, but watch what they have in them, not all kits are the same, their torque wrenches are OK, just wait for the sales, and pickup bits as you need them

actually there is a good sale going on right now....

Grab a 100+ piece set from Canadian Tire when it's on sale and if the socket set you buy doesn't included them, make sure to grab a hex (allen) bit set also. A decent 1/2 torque wrench, screwdriver set, and wrench set. That's how my tool kit started and then slowly have started to add in other sockets, other torque wrenches (1/4, 3 / 8, extensions, JIS screwdrivers, etc.

That should be all you need for basic maintenance. Stuff like tire changes depending on the bike you might need to get the odd large socket for the rear and a large hex for the front (can be a pain to find). I'd also suggest a 1/2 breaker bar for the rear axle since most of those size sockets will not come in 3/8 and makes cracking it loose much easier.

checking CT flyer now

Maximum professional series (I assume this is TOTL?) 168pc socket set for 99.99

Do they usually give deep discounts like this? Or do they mark everything up to make the sale look good (like cooking pots)

Unless you have a centre stand, you will soon find that you need a stand/jack/hoist for your bike in order to keep it vertical and/or get the wheels off the ground

I am in the market for something like that, but I haven't decided specifically what to get yet

I try to never buy anything from CT unless it's on sale. The amount depends, so if it's more than 50% off, it's a deal. Don't necessarily buy the biggest set as you may not use most of it. You will need the 3/8" sockets for most of the work and then 1/2" for the big parts like axle nuts or front sprocket. A good pliers, screwdrivers, hex keys, sockets sets, wrenchs is a good start. All go on sale at some point at CT.

40 pc screwdriver set for 75% off at 17.49 is a god deal.
168 pc socket set for $99.99 looks to be a good start.
the 98 pc set too, just compare what the pieces are to what other sets you get.

Last edited:
CT always cycles sales too, if it's not on sale this week it will be soon. I use the sales alert on the website to let me know since I have buying anything at full pop if I don't have to. I don't think they mark stuff up to make the sale look great but everything always cycles through sale pricing.

That socket set seems like a pretty good deal and includes 1/2 and 1/4 which is nice. The hex keys aren't the greatest to use for wrenching but will get you started for sure.

Last edited:
Most useful tool I have is a mini ratchet with square adapter for normal sockets on one side and a hex bit adapter on the other side for hex insert bits such as torx, Phillips, etc. I also have extenders and adapters for this part too. Got the ratchet from Amazon, it's awesome and saves a ton of space. Takes the place of keys and multiple bulky wrenches and as it's a ratchet you can use it to tighten parts in limited spaces.

If you are buying a motorcycle lift, iirc someone on here had a CT one posted for $50. Jump on it.
And don't leave the tools in your storage locker.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

CTC has several quality levels in the store, the shopmate stuff is just crap, mastercraft brand is ok and maximum is pretty nice. You will NEVER regret buying good tools. I have had my snap-on stuff for 35+ yrs. My Grey industrial is as old. I have been through dozens of 'cheap' pliers and drivers, because I need several tool sets because of how life works and i'm not rich enough, but the good stuff I have bought is an investment, I'm an advocate of buy the best you can justify

In addition to a 1/2" torque wrench, you'll need a 3/8" one, preferably in inch-pounds.

If you're going to change tires, you'll likely need an axle socket:

Motion_Pro_Hex_Axle_Tool_Chrome.jpg

About twenty bucks at any bike shop.

You'll also need a set of tire spoons and some sort of static wheel balancer. Buy one or make your own. Get a good quality tire pressure gauge. An air compressor, a hundred buck cheapie will do.

And don't forget wheel stands. Absolutely essential for this kind of work.

via Tapatalk

checking CT flyer now

Maximum professional series (I assume this is TOTL?) 168pc socket set for 99.99

Do they usually give deep discounts like this? Or do they mark everything up to make the sale look good (like cooking pots)

Yes and yes. Basically never buy tools from CT unless they're on sale.

If I could make a recommendation - get a socket set that comes in a carrying case. Sure, you will have less tools, but honestly I could do 95% of what I needed to with $10 30 pc set. Also recommend something with a lifetime warranty - there's enough of them out there that you might as well. Sockets generally don't break unless you're using them wrong, but ratchets can break. Don't buy anything that only has 12 point sockets in the sizes you need. The sizes that you need are generally - 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 15mm, 17mm, 21mm. You will need more than that but that is your bare minimum.

One of the most frustrating things is not having the right tool for the job. You might only need a few sockets the majority of the time, but there will come a time when you are half way through a job and find that you need something different.

Personally, if I was buying a toolset, I would take the plunge and buy the kit below. Pair it with a screwdriver and a plier set

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...-1-2-in-drive-socket-set-384-pc-0589641p.html

Back
Top Bottom