Urgent - Mississauga & area need OEM chain kit installed today or tomorrow. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Urgent - Mississauga & area need OEM chain kit installed today or tomorrow.

MacDoc

Site Supporter
SOLVED- Mississauga & area need OEM chain kit installed today or tomorrow.

Have OEM kit for my 2010 DL650 and my mechanic had to bail on me at the last minute for my appointment today.

Have accommodations booked well down the BRP starting the trip crack of dawn Sunday.

Any ideas who might accommodate last minute??...and no - I don't do this kind of work myself....no tools - no hand strength. :(
Have no time constraints on when today or Saturday but prefer west end.

Current set MIGHT last but rather not chance it as it's had a fair number of km this month and can feel it needs changing out no matter how much lube

TIA

Last edited:
As much as I don't like to suggest anyone use him... Rosey Toes would probably be able to get that done for you today or tomorrow and is very local.

I have a bench, tools and the shop manual for the bike, but I have never swapped out the chain and sprockets before, otherwise I'd offer up my garage.

do you have a contact for Rosey?.... we've not done that work either and really needs a torque wrench and my hands won't tolerate heavy work.

thanks for reply

Frekeyguy should be close. It shouldn't be rocket science

I've done it before but it took me 6 hrs so I decided to never do it again lol

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Hehe ...yup ....my staff who is reasonably mechanical even shied away from adjusting the chain ....such a wimp. No centre stand IS annoying.

Is the OEM chain endless? That's a much bigger job than a master link

You need to drop the swingarm to get the chain past the swingarm pivot if the chain is endless. And find a way to support the bike without a rear stand

You need to drop the swingarm to get the chain past the swingarm pivot if the chain is endless. And find a way to support the bike without a rear stand

I see a master link on the parts fiche, so at least there's that. Also confused - was the center stand optional or something? I see pictures of lots of DL 650s that have them

That's good info on the link.

Centre stand optional or previous owner removed...because the bike is lowered centre stand would be brutal on a loaded machine. Have spools and lifts at home.

That's what a chain tool is for, to separate and join chains together. The whole chain and sprockets shouldn't take more than an hour really.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

It should be quick and easy if you find someone who knows what they are doing cut the old chain with a grinder pull the rear wheel change the sprockets and re assemble. If it has a master this is super easy just remember fish swim upstream.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Centre stands are still optional. $300 on Twisted Throttle, but worth it if the bike isn't lowered, or you'd be dragging hard parts too soon.
ou7CU6nl.jpg

Rosie Toes or Frekey Guy are probably your best bets to try first.

Not so worried about time as availability for someone...have a buddy that can do it but hate to impose on him and don't know if he is around.....crazy bugger has every mcycle tool every invented and a few he made himself. Rides his 80s airhead 35,000 km every year up to Alaska and all over Canada. He adjusted the chain for me before my Algoma loop.
The 1,000 km blitz down from that last Sunday at speed was hard on me and the chain to I decided it was time.
Fully lubed it feels "okay" ...but there is this underlying buzzz under acceleration that says it's wearing out.

Melo Automotive might be able to sort you out. They are in the west end of Toronto at Dundas and Runnymede open at 8:30 I believe but someone might be there @ 8 ...416-767-1500

Back
Top Bottom