Frame swapping | GTAMotorcycle.com

Frame swapping

yes...no need for a PM...what's the concern?

gonna guess it's about the VIN and having your registration match the new frame

New frame is registered? Take off all parts from old...put on new.

Exactly this. Swap parts, register new bike, profit.

It's surprisingly easy to do especially since all you have to do is transfer everything over to the new frame. Might need the odd tool for a specific bolt or part but after tearing my last bike down to the bare frame and rebuilding, it can be done with simple hand tools. If you have a service manual then that's a bonus for getting torque specs, otherwise you will have some googleing to do. Make sure to mark all critical bolts with a grease pen or marker after torqued to watch for anything backing off.

If the frame is brand new, it won't have a VIN stamped on it. Find someone with a set of number/letter punches and transfer from your old frame.
You also mentioned in your PM that the front end was bent, so this is a write off that you're trying to save ?
It may not be worth your time and effort.

If the frame is brand new, it won't have a VIN stamped on it. Find someone with a set of number/letter punches and transfer from your old frame.
You also mentioned in your PM that the front end was bent, so this is a write off that you're trying to save ?
It may not be worth your time and effort.

Why would the frame not be stamped? I thought you can get either from the manufacturer...it's not like the MTO stamps the frame.

Why would the frame not be stamped? I thought you can get either from the manufacturer...it's not like the MTO stamps the frame.

VIN's are for vehicles not frames. New frames I have seen didn't have a VIN. If you use a new to you frame that came out of an existing bike it will have a VIN.

My guess is the OP would like to keep his old VIN and pretend this never happened. I've never tried swapping VIN plates, I don't know how easy it is to get them off.

Looks like you are correct after all, you have to apply with MTO and they will issue you a VIN #, only info I could find was in regards to home made frame but could see it working the same.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Looks like you are correct after all, you have to apply with MTO and they will issue you a VIN #, only info I could find was in regards to home made frame but could see it working the same.

giphy.gif

Is an MTO issued VIN going to cause an insurance nightmare? How much info do the insurance companies have in their databases? If your VIN doesn't decode properly to match your type of bike I could see insurance companies not wanting to touch it.

If a frame is cracked, its going to be a write off.
You cannot register or re-build bikes in Ontario.

On a side note - I've swapped a few frames - What bike is it ?

Is an MTO issued VIN going to cause an insurance nightmare? How much info do the insurance companies have in their databases? If your VIN doesn't decode properly to match your type of bike I could see insurance companies not wanting to touch it.

No idea, that would be a question for the MTO or an insurance company, only found limited info and was more geared towards custom built frames. If you had documentation from the company supplying the frame (Yamaha, Suzuki, etc) I do not see them having issues...but then again that's logic so may not apply.

Really good point. I never even considered the implications with insurance.

Find a used frame with an ownership is going to be the best way. If you can do it depends on your skill set.

You DO NOT WANT anything but a manufacturer-supplied VIN (along with the clear-title paperwork associated with that VIN) - whether that's the VIN that came on the original frame on that original frame, or a VIN that was transferred to a blank frame (which could be a nightmare), or a VIN that came on the frame from some other bike together with all the ownership paperwork for that other bike. If it's the latter situation then essentially you are scrapping your bike with your VIN and buying the other bike as a used bike (with clear registration paperwork), it's not the MoT's concern that you are swapping parts between the two to make something functional.

Forget the MoT issued VIN route, insurance will be a nightmare.

Crashed bike with cracked frame ... there is a high probability that you are better off parting out what's left of that bike and simply buying another fully functional bike. If it's something rare or irreplaceable or unobtainium then maybe that's another matter.

Back
Top Bottom