Ordering helmets online | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ordering helmets online

Morrissey

Hey all. So after watching and reading a BAZILLION reviews online, I've narrowed my search for a new a helmet down to the Schuberth C3 pro and the Shoei Neotec. I'm leaning heavily towards the Schuberth because they are reportedly the quietest helmet on the market and wind noise is my #1 complaint on a bike. However, I currently have a Shoei TZR and have been very happy with the fit and comfort of the helmet. I can easily swing into GP Bikes (its on my way to work) and try on the Shoei, but the nearest place to try a Schuberth is in Toronto somewhere. This country mouse would prefer to not head into Toronto if at all possible.

I keep reading that Revzilla and Fort9 have free shipping on orders over $49, no restocking fee and returns are just $7. According to the little blurb on their websites I can order a new helmet, try it on in my living room for a while and see if it's comfortable. If I don't like it, I can apparently return the helmet to them no questions asked as long as I haven't removed any of the tags etc or taken it for a ride. Have any of you done this? Does it work as easily as they say? I ask because I tried to return a helmet to a bricks and mortar store once and even though it had all the tags etc, they would not take it back saying that I could have dropped it blah blah blah.

Before I drop $900+ on a new lid I'd like to hear from some of you who've both ordered a helmet from one of these sites but more importantly RETURNED a helmet to one of these sites! I don't want to find out I'm stuck with a helmet that turns out to not be comfortable.

From what I've read, the Schuberth is a weird fit.
You'd probably be better off with bricks to try one on at least.
Then it's up to your loyalty for that convenience, and how close they can price match online.
i assume that you can't return it to either place.

When I went to buy a book at the local chapters, it was almost double the price of their online.

If you order your helmet from Revzilla and return it, you'll have to deal with CSBA for the refund of the duty that they will charge you. I went through the process once, it was time-consuming and a PIA: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/courier/crp-prio-eng.html

If you buy local from Fort9, you don't have to deal with the border tax stuff.

Just something else to factor in, in addition to all the shipping and restocking fees.

My brother bought 3 helmets, found the one he liked, and returned the other 2.

Fort9 is awesome

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

If you buy local from Fort9, you don't have to deal with the border tax stuff.

Just something else to factor in, in addition to all the shipping and restocking fees.

Thanks for the heads up on the boarder/duty stuff Lightcycle! I hadn't thought of that. There shouldn't be any shipping or restocking fees as according to the Fort9 website, all orders over $49 are free shipping, no restocking fees except for tires and return shipping label is only $7. I figure I can afford to lose $7 on a shipping label since it will cost me more than $20 to drive to Toronto to try one one!

A little off topic.....have you thought about the C4 from Schuberth....

I was in Riders Choice yesterday to try one, but they are not in yet, but they do stock the C3 pro, the large fits like a glove on my noggen....but the C4 has a few nice additional features, so I will have to wait and see how it fits before I make my decision

I've ordered a helmet from Fort Nine and returned it for a larger size of the same model. IIRC, they request you leave the tags + stickers on while you try it on, preferably with clean hands (and hair). Don't keep the instructions, helmet bag or Pinlock visor (if included) and you should be fine. Fill out the form, get the return shipping label, leave a comment. Just common courtesy, really.

The C3 (not Pro) is quieter than most but still requires earplugs above 60 km/h. Ventilation is so-so. Hate the ratcheting neck strap. Considering the price, it doesn't feel that premium. Many parts seemed a bit flimsy, IMO. As for fit, beware the Mark Of Schuberth. This may or may not apply to the C3 Pro or C4.

Last year I bought 2 helmets from Fort9. The keeper was a perfect fit, the other one not so much ... I returned it without any drama.

I'd like to hear from some of you who've both ordered a helmet from one of these sites but more importantly RETURNED a helmet to one of these sites! .

I have from Fortnine when it was Canadas Motorcycles. Great easy experience. Bought a size too big. Packed it up and shipped it back. Reorderd the correct size. Only minor downfall was it took a few days to have the returned helmet cleared on the credit card. They obviously have to receive it before they can process it.

the return shipping was cheaper than the gas it would have cost me to drive to the closest store that had the helmet I wanted in stock. No where in Hamilton had the one I wanted.

Avoid having to return stuff to the USA via mail, unless you have a USA mail box and returning it via mail in the USA on the same day you pick it up. It's an extra layer of major annoyance.

You're in Peterborough ? Drive down to GP Bikes, their prices are as good as anyone's.

Gatekeeper - As near as I can tell the advancements in the C4 vs the C3 are largely tech related. Since I don't want or need a com system or two connect my phone to my helmet, I think the C3 will be fine.

TK4 - I will be heading to GP bikes after work this Saturday (I work in Whitby) to check out the Shoei and would be happy to buy it from them if I like it. Yes, their price is right in line with everyone else. Sadly they do not carry the Schuberth though and the Schuberth is the helmet I'm most interested in.

Gatekeeper - As near as I can tell the advancements in the C4 vs the C3 are largely tech related. Since I don't want or need a com system or two connect my phone to my helmet, I think the C3 will be fine.

TK4 - I will be heading to GP bikes after work this Saturday (I work in Whitby) to check out the Shoei and would be happy to buy it from them if I like it. Yes, their price is right in line with everyone else. Sadly they do not carry the Schuberth though and the Schuberth is the helmet I'm most interested in.

They definitely have improved the tech, they also supposedly improved the airflow through the helmet. I have a C3 Pro, love the helmet and have no complaints about it though. You may not think you want the tech, but if you ever do want it the C4 is laid out MUCH better and much much much simpler to install. C3 Pro is a bit of a pain to remove everything to wire it all in and you always have a microphone in your face where the C4 it is all integrated and as simple as snapping the unit in. I never use mine for the comm but do use it daily for streaming music from my Nav (you can from the phone as well) and it is great. Might be worth thinking about, only a few hundred more and you have a better laid out helmet if you ever do want music or Nav directions.

There's always the German and other European sites too. FC Moto has good prices on the C3 pro. The cash you save could offset any shipping fees if you need to change the helmet. My helmet from FCMoto (not a Schubert) was delivered via DHL and I paid zero taxes or duties.

Juse a heads up OP. I have purchased many items from GP Bikes that they don't advertise. While you are there checking out the Shoei. It doesn't hurt to ask them if they can order you a Schuberth. Sometime they can get parts from their suppliers that they don't normally sell and usually their prices are competitive. If you do end buying from GP don't forget about the discount coupons in their catalogues. Usually 20% off. That will make a difference especially on a high end helmet. I would confirm first before you buy that the discount can be applied on special orders also.

I ordered my Schuberth C3 Pro from Biker Land GmbH in Germany last year. Cost CA$700 including shipping. I paid 13% GST when it arrived at the Post Office, saving more than $300 over buying locally. There is a risk that your head shape may not suit the Schuberth but their site does have guides for fitment, as does Revzilla's. I've been very happy with my Schuberth.

Back
Top Bottom