Pennsylvania suggestions | GTAMotorcycle.com

Pennsylvania suggestions

happycrappy

Site Supporter
I'm doing a quick little overnight trip next week to Allegany state park, then to Sussquehannock forest. Any stops, roads sights, or camping areas recommended? TIA

I haven't camped there before, but I have always wanted to stay at the Kettle Creek Campground. That area is really stunning. http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/findapark/kettlecreek/#camping

For roads, this is taken from another thread on here called 'Stateside Roads':
Longhouse Scenic Drive: This really is a scenic drive with some nice curves thrown in for good measure. It's a great way to start or end your travels in Pennsylvania and also has the Kinzua Dam right beside the north end of this road. The Dam is a really interesting spot to take a break. And while you are at it, ride about 20 minutes to the east and check out the Kinzua Bridge.
PA949: A sweet road filled with fast sweepers and nice pavement. A good road to link up to the 666
PA666: A great road to ride, but it would be much better if the pavement was as good as the rest of the state.
PA144: One of the best roads in the state. Endless curves, amazing scenery and almost flawless pavement. It's about 75 miles long and the southern half is better.
Kettle Creek Road: There is an awesome park on this road which is a great scenic spot for taking a break by the lake. The road itself is pretty sweet - it can be a bit bumpy and narrow in spots, but the scenery is quite remarkable and it's a scenic twisty road. There is also camping at the Kettle Creek State Park.
PA120: At almost 100 miles long between Lockhaven and Ridgeway, this road is great for fast, long winding sweepers. The views are quite awesome with hills on either side as it meanders along the river. It's also great that it intersects many of the others twisty roads listed here, so it makes for a good connecting road.
Wykoff Run Road: This road is pure fun. It has many tight turns with amazing scenery as you wind along a river. Keep your eyes on the road here, because the lanes are slightly narrow and it can be well traveled at times. The only problem with this road is that it's only 10 miles.
PA872: This 40 mile road is nothing but big scenery and fast sweepers. Very nice road to ride on that's more enjoyable than technical.
Hyner Sate Park: There is a sweet lookout at the top of Hyner Mountain. The road going up is also nice - a very narrow and twisty climb to the lookout point. This is another great place to take a break with an awesome view. There are some nice gravel roads up near the top here where I have seen bears.

What he said ( 144 not to be missed and think there is a campsite at Cherry Hill ) and not to worry about cops outside of towns. There can be some gravel on Wykoff but it's soooooo much fun.

144 should be completed repaving now out of Coudersport. They did the section below Renovo a couple years back and it's brilliant.

There is a very tight left turn on both the north and south section ....you'll see the skid marks. :rolleyes:

Mind your fuel levels - especially Sunday - not all are open in the rural areas

Last edited:
Thank you both for those replies! Looking forward to following these tips..

I haven't camped there before, but I have always wanted to stay at the Kettle Creek Campground. That area is really stunning. http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/findapark/kettlecreek/#camping

For roads, this is taken from another thread on here called 'Stateside Roads':
Longhouse Scenic Drive: This really is a scenic drive with some nice curves thrown in for good measure. It's a great way to start or end your travels in Pennsylvania and also has the Kinzua Dam right beside the north end of this road. The Dam is a really interesting spot to take a break. And while you are at it, ride about 20 minutes to the east and check out the Kinzua Bridge.
PA949: A sweet road filled with fast sweepers and nice pavement. A good road to link up to the 666
PA666: A great road to ride, but it would be much better if the pavement was as good as the rest of the state.
PA144: One of the best roads in the state. Endless curves, amazing scenery and almost flawless pavement. It's about 75 miles long and the southern half is better.
Kettle Creek Road: There is an awesome park on this road which is a great scenic spot for taking a break by the lake. The road itself is pretty sweet - it can be a bit bumpy and narrow in spots, but the scenery is quite remarkable and it's a scenic twisty road. There is also camping at the Kettle Creek State Park.
PA120: At almost 100 miles long between Lockhaven and Ridgeway, this road is great for fast, long winding sweepers. The views are quite awesome with hills on either side as it meanders along the river. It's also great that it intersects many of the others twisty roads listed here, so it makes for a good connecting road.
Wykoff Run Road: This road is pure fun. It has many tight turns with amazing scenery as you wind along a river. Keep your eyes on the road here, because the lanes are slightly narrow and it can be well traveled at times. The only problem with this road is that it's only 10 miles.
PA872: This 40 mile road is nothing but big scenery and fast sweepers. Very nice road to ride on that's more enjoyable than technical.
Hyner Sate Park: There is a sweet lookout at the top of Hyner Mountain. The road going up is also nice - a very narrow and twisty climb to the lookout point. This is another great place to take a break with an awesome view. There are some nice gravel roads up near the top here where I have seen bears.

Great post!!!! Seeing the effort you put into this then it must be worth the trip. plus 1

As for gas quality what is good in the US? I need premium no ethanol

I was there 2 weeks ago and we did the following:
PA666: It is in great condition - no issues to report and a lot of fun. My 3rd favorite
PA144: North and south of Renovo - it is also in great condition. Take it easy in a corner called "dead man's corner", basically if you see a big *** arrow, slow down. The bigger the arrow the more you slow down.
Kettle Creek Road: In great condition as well. My favorite one
Wykoff Run Road: In Great condition, my second favorite
Hyner Sate Park: Not to be missed, lots of wet spots in corners and gravel and sand, take it easy on it, the point of that road is to get to the lookout point.

We also took 44 from Coursport, fast, flowy and kind of technical. It is clean and in great shape, it was redone a couple years ago.

Can go wrong with any of these or all of these.

+1 to all of the above.

There is also 554 just south of Williamsport, connecting with 44. It is an up the mountain and down the other side series of twisties. It is so much of a blast that we often did it back and forth a few times.

Kinzua bridge collapse is a neat park to visit

Austin dam collapse is good too

the burning ghost town of centrailia

the Eastern state pennitentury in Philly

the 129 from Shamokin

Update.
about 20 miles of 144 above Renovo is fresh chipped repaved just now ( small drifts of gravel and slow traffic ) ...annoying
That was one of my fav sections.

If you pick up 44 off 6 then 144 at Cherry Hill you'll have a great run until you hit the repave.
Then continue on 144 south of Renovo which is truly lovely.

This is also lovely _ I was not pushing hard but had a big grin in some sections it was so nice to ride.
http://www.motorcycleroads.us/roads/pa_us522.html

219 for a longer run south avoiding the slab.

https://www.motorcycleroads.org/2016/01/18/us219-thru-west-va-and-pennsylvania/

There are some very nice sections in the 400+ miles.

Last edited:
I am going to be is Pennsylvania for the first time in August. I am staying up at Arrow head in the Pocono's. I have plans to do this 125 also 447 and 502. Any other great roads in the area that might trump those picks?

FYI: Longhouse Scenic Drive is marked at both ends with big signs "Closed - local traffic only".

There was also bridge work that totally blocked the road just north of the PA666 and PA948 intersection.

As for gas quality what is good in the US? I need premium no ethanol

I find that there are more ethanol-free options in the states.
Most of the larger brand stations will have up to 93 octane as well.
You'll be fine.

Rob

I am going to be is Pennsylvania for the first time in August. I am staying up at Arrow head in the Pocono's. I have plans to do this 125 also 447 and 502. Any other great roads in the area that might trump those picks?

Some of the folks on the PA Sport bike riders group are reporting that PA 125 was tarred and chipped earlier this summer, but that it has bedded down pretty well. Apparently the "lower half" still has some sections where the gravel has built-up in the corners - so be safe!

FYI: Longhouse Scenic Drive is marked at both ends with big signs "Closed - local traffic only".

There was also bridge work that totally blocked the road just north of the PA666 and PA948 intersection.

I've noticed there is a great deal of construction in last few summers, and there are many signs posting, closed road, or for locals only. The reason they are posted is due to eliminate or decrease traffic interference with the construction crews who are trying to get the job done without watching over their shoulder every minute looking at traffic. It's also there for insurance purposes (less danger of accidents with traffic, cheaper the cost of construction).

However I take no notice of these signs on the weekend when there is no construction activity and proceed cautiously at my own risk, especially if it would mean avoiding a detour of several kilometers. And there are no crews/construction activity that you may be interfering with. Rarely is the road ever a wipeout/washout, but if it is, take no chances and turn around. Use common sense.

Plus one on the Kinzua Bridge - Didn't know there was a dam to see too. Another reason to go back - as if I needed one.....

Back
Top Bottom