Need a opinion | GTAMotorcycle.com

Need a opinion

FOOLZZ

Hello there im 16 currently and short and small 160 cm heigh and 52 kg. Im looking for a 125cc bike. I considered the cbr 125 because i like the sporty way it looks and i want to have your opinion about it. If its good for me etc. Im a beginner

Dirt bike

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

At 16, insurance is going to suck on any street bike, get insurance prices before you start to even think about buying a bike. CBR 125 is a great bike. If on-road insurance is too much, a dirt bike and off-road insurance is a much cheaper way to get your fix (assuming you have a way to get the bike to the woods).

dude did not ask about insurance, why make assumptions about his situation?

great starter bike, go for it

Hello there im 16 currently and short and small 160 cm heigh and 52 kg. Im looking for a 125cc bike. I considered the cbr 125 because i like the sporty way it looks and i want to have your opinion about it. If its good for me etc. Im a beginner

Great bike, and if you do your hunting carefully you can find a clean '07 or '08 for under $1500.
Insurance ? Well, shop around and around and around....

dude did not ask about insurance, why make assumptions about his situation?

great starter bike, go for it

The assumption with the CBR125, or any street bike, is that, as a street bike, he will want to ride it on the street. I believe this is a good assumption. Very few people own their own road course or start riding by going to a track. The OP is a newby, we should, and do, answer questions as yet unasked.

OP, Anything <500cc <50hp < 500lb is a good starter bike. This removes all of the 600cc sport bikes. Lighter bikes are nimbler and easier to keep upright, when you have a mistake. A 125 is a great size to learn on, but is limited to ~80-90kph, unless you pin it wide open. Also consider the 300cc bike category. The weight of the bike is not much more (easy to get used to) and there's more power if and when you want to try the boring highway.

Insurance premiums will probably be more expensive than your bike's initial purchase price, and this premium is yearly. Check insurance first before you buy anything. Insurance differences between the 125 and 300cc bikes may not be very much, so ask around.

To reduce the price of your first bike, consider used and consider other styles. You might be able to get a small cruiser for cheaper than the CBR. If you need to tip toe to sit on the bike, this is Ok. You will get used to it and it will not slow you down. It all depends on if your legs are long or your torso is long.

I suspect there is no cost difference on insurance between a 250 and a 125 and the 250 a better choice and also inexpensive.

If insurance is an issue...doing the first year on a under 100 CC scooter is the cheapest way ( what my kid did ) Ride it to school, learn your road skills from a driving standpoint and spend your savings on courses and maybre even off road courses tho your height might be an issue - what is your inseam.

Talk to Chris South. csouth@surnet.net good guy - knows bikes and saves you money

Last edited:
Yamaha YSR 80

They are collector items now....almost. At least from the asking prices. And realistically to run one of these on the road in traffic you had better be experienced. I remember riding it around downtown....wouldn't want to be a noob on it there.

OP, check for insurance before actually buying!!!!!! Realistically the CBR125, 250, Ninja 300 or any similar would be fine. If you can touch teh balls of both feet down you will be more confident at this stage. The 250-300 would be more usable longer into your riding progression.

CBR 125 is pretty much the perfect bike for your situation, don't buy it without getting insurance quotes first. A 250 would technically be better buuut at 16 there still could be a significant difference in insurance cost, plus a CBR 125 is just cheaper than the slightly bigger bikes. Not assuming its a big deal, but some 16 year olds would want the extra $500 in their pocket

I really wish the gov would up the low end to 125 for entry bikes instead of 100cc...would open up so many more models

I love my CBR 125 which I've owned for a year and about 15,000 km. I did the cannonball 1000 mile ride on it. Its not really suitable for that sort of ride but it's doable. I commute to work and can cruise at 90 to 100 km/h without having to thrash it.
Passing on the highway with it sucks and you have to downshift for hills and headwinds.
My insurance company quoted the same price for a 300cc or the CBR. There's a lot of them for sale right now. I would bargain aggressively and buy for around $1000. Otherwise buy a 250 for the price that people are asking for their 125's and have much better power for the highway

Sent from my X5max_PRO using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I really wish the gov would up the low end to 125 for entry bikes instead of 100cc...would open up so many more models

what are you referring to? As far as I know, there is no CC restrictions here?

check out the Honda Grom - fun little bikes.

good luck!

At 160cm (5'3") you probably have a 29- 30-cm inseam. Make sure you try sitting on whatever bike you are seriously considering to ensure your feet comfortably reach the ground. One-foot on tippy-toes can be precarious, especially on uneven pavement. The 125 has a seat height of ~30.5" so it might work. Try it.

You might find insurance and manageability better on a Grom (as previously mentioned) or the similar Kawasaki Z125 Pro.

At 160cm (5'3") you probably have a 29- 30-cm inseam. Make sure you try sitting on whatever bike you are seriously considering to ensure your feet comfortably reach the ground. One-foot on tippy-toes can be precarious, especially on uneven pavement. The 125 has a seat height of ~30.5" so it might work. Try it.

You might find insurance and manageability better on a Grom (as previously mentioned) or the similar Kawasaki Z125 Pro.

So about a 12" inseam? That'd make for a pretty oddly proportioned human being

125 is fine in your case, but you might want to consider a 300. When I was 16, I started off with a 250 and it wasn't a problem for me at all.

Back
Top Bottom