Products to remove water or diesel from tank? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Products to remove water or diesel from tank?

regder

Site Supporter
Filled up at my corner Petro yesterday and the bike died 1/4km away. Looks like either water or diesel mixed in with the gas.

Pumped out 4L (size of my gerry can), and filled a 600mL clear bottle. The bottle now is 99% full of gas, but on a quick ride around the block I occasionally get a hesitation before it comes back to life.

What products will dilute the water or gas and allow it to burnt through better?

This is what came out initially.

tsCf1CZ.jpg

Gas line antifreeze would probably help remove some of the moisture or I believe Methyl Hydrate would do the trick. If using Methyl Hydrate look around online for the amount to use or someone smarter then me might come through with the answer.

If I pulled something like that out of my gas tank, I'd probably drain it completely. That is a substantial amount of Not Gas

That is not diesel ... diesel fuel is completely miscible with gasoline. Given that it separates into two layers like that, that's water.

Did you have a chat with anyone at the filling station about that? They really ought to cover your expenses ...

If they're in denial, gas line antifreeze is probably the best choice. Unless you can somehow agitate the contents of the tank so that it all completely mixes, it will probably still act up a bit.

(Which filling station was it?)

Another vote for full drain and a chat with PC. As you have already diluted the spooge, burn it in your car where it will be diluted 10:1 again.

That's a substantial amount of water in your fuel. You should drain the fuel system. If you have carbs, open the float bowl drains. If FI, pull off some fuel lines.
You want to get rid of as much of the water as possible.
When you are done that, add SOME fresh fuel, don't fill it. Use gas with as much ethanol as you can find. Ethanol works just like gas line anti-freeze.
If you bike STILL runs bad, rinse and repeat.

That is not diesel ... diesel fuel is completely miscible with gasoline. Given that it separates into two layers like that, that's water.

Did you have a chat with anyone at the filling station about that? They really ought to cover your expenses ...

If they're in denial, gas line antifreeze is probably the best choice. Unless you can somehow agitate the contents of the tank so that it all completely mixes, it will probably still act up a bit.

(Which filling station was it?)

Figured it's not diesel as there was no smoke when it fired up, my experience with cars that have accidentally gotten diesel is a lot of smoke.

I've put in a case with Petro Canada Corporate, figure the attendant at the station wouldn't be able to do much. The rep I spoke to said they would call me back in 1-2 business days.

It's the Petro at Dufferin and Centre in Thornhill.

My wife said it's probably from the heavy rain on Saturday - why the gas station tanks got contaminated...

if it were me, I'd drain and flush, prolly flush twice with new gas....
no magic dump in the tank product to fix that, I'd not want to have the
water immersed in the gas and go through the fuel system/engine

Get all the tank contents out. Diluting or snake oils aren't going to do squat.

I always used "STP Water Out"as the last step to flush out a fuel tank, fuel tap and lines. Hopefully by now you have solved the problem.
BTW, no water or contaminants should ever leak into the underground tanks at a gas station. They have a major issue at that location.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

BTW, no water or contaminants should ever leak into the underground tanks at a gas station. They have a major issue at that location.

It's not uncommon for the filling station to be full of water, the delivery drivers often have to bail them out before hooking up their hoses. If a cap wasn't secured properly after a delivery and then there was a lot of rain, I could see how this could happen.

Gas line antifreeze would probably help remove some of the moisture or I believe Methyl Hydrate would do the trick. If using Methyl Hydrate look around online for the amount to use or someone smarter then me might come through with the answer.
Same thing...

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Got a call back from Petro Canada corporate today. According to them, they have a billion safety measures to prevent this from happening and have performed a spot check on the station and have concluded that everything is ok on their end.

I left the station a bad review and emailed the Ontario Ministry of Environment.

Was your bike out in the rain? Any chance that all of that water was in the left side of your tank and adding the fuel mixed it in?

Was your bike out in the rain? Any chance that all of that water was in the left side of your tank and adding the fuel mixed it in?

That crossed my mind. I rode it 120km's a couple days before this happened, don't think there was any significant rain in between.

I left it outside in the torrential rain we had a couple days ago. Rode it for the first time since this issue 160km's the day after and she ran fine. A few hiccups starting off as the water gut burnt through, then running fine.

Feels a bit down on power overall so I may toss a new fuel filter and plugs at it.

Back
Top Bottom