Minden/Haliburton Day Trip - 405km | GTAMotorcycle.com

Minden/Haliburton Day Trip - 405km

i-WERKS

To start off, big thanks to Shanekingsley for the "Best Roads" thread. I use that thread in a lot of my route planning.

Taking longer motorcycle trips is getting more and more difficult as there's just too much stuff that needs to be done during the weekends with a young child at home. I figured that if I wanted to get in a full days ride, I had to wake up earlier so that I can be back at a reasonable time to have time to take care of all my regular duties. So on June 10, I set my alarm for 4:15am, had a quick bite and hit the road as planned at 5:00am.

The route goes through Hwy 35 - Deep Bay Road - Duck Lake Road - Hwy 118 - Glamorgan Road - Hwy 507 and a quick stop by a friends house to pick up some music equipment before home.

Tire pressure check, everything all loaded up.

Started the bike just as the clock rolled to 5:01am.

No cars on the road, the sun just coming out burning away the fog. Everything is perfect.

On the way to Hwy 35

Early morning shadows

Last edited:
Deep bay road is just off of Hwy 35 at Moore Falls. It reconnects to Hwy 35 at Minden. Great riding road.

This guy appeared in the middle of the road as I approached Minden

Saw this on the side of the road. Decided to stop

Cool views of the rapids without any walking

Another roadside surprise in Haliburton.

I had to u-turn for this one.

Off of Hwy 507, there are a lot of Fire Access Roads. I took Fire Route 300 between Gooderham and Catchacoma just out of curiosity. Just two tire tracks with knee high grass on either sides of the tracks. Combined with rocks of all sizes and steep inclines, I got nervous after a few 100 meters and needed to turn around. As i tried to turn around, the rocks propped up the bike and I couldn't put my foot down. I tried and tried to roll the bike around but with the steep inclines and being by myself, it was impossible. As the mosquito's swarmed, I decided it would be better to continue on and find a better spot to turn around. To my luck, about 100m down the road, I reached a cottage which allowed me to re-orient the bike towards paved roads. No camera during this stretch as I was being eaten alive.

I've seen a lot of turtle crossing signs during my rides. First time seeing it being used.

Moved it to the side of the road so it doesn't get smashed.

After I passed Buckhorn, the roads became less interesting therefore there are no photos. I rolled onto my driveway at 11:15 am ready to start another crazy day.

Last edited:
Beautiful pics. I was at Haliburton this Saturday and I took photos with that jet fighter and tank. My route was from Dorset to Barry's Bay, Haliburton and back to Dorset. Pretty much Algonquin's Loop.

After seeing your pics, I really wish I would have grabbed my slr too.

I am thinking of another trip to do Calabogie. Wana go?

Beautiful pics. I was at Haliburton this Saturday and I took photos with that jet fighter and tank. My route was from Dorset to Barry's Bay, Haliburton and back to Dorset. Pretty much Algonquin's Loop.

After seeing your pics, I really wish I would have grabbed my slr too.

I am thinking of another trip to do Calabogie. Wana go?

I would love to but it's really tough for me to get out for longer rides. Even with this ride, the original plan was to get up to Dorset before heading to Haliburton but I had to cut that out in order to keep the ride to under 6.5 hours (including stops). Calabogie unfortunately, will need much more time than that. I will do it eventually but don't know when I'll have time. When you take the trip, please don't forget to post pics!

About the camera. I picked up a Sony mirrorless camera just for these trips so that I don't have to lug around the DSLR. Much smaller and easier to pull out of my bag for some quick shots. Was worth every penny.

Awesome ride and pics. Glad that someone is using that sticky!

I've never actually seen a turtle crossing the road - that was a great shot. They teach water rescue tactics at the Minden preserve - it's a pretty interesting place to stop for a break.

I'm headed to Calabogie this week - ideally Thursday or Friday depending on the weather. If considerable rain is in the forecast for both days then I'll take a day off next week instead. Thread is here: http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?201994-Calabogie-Solstice-Ride

Back
Top Bottom