Further Proof of lack of insurance companies discernability | GTAMotorcycle.com

Further Proof of lack of insurance companies discernability

bigpoppa

Just spoke to my broker, apparently the GSX-S750 is considered a sport bike, as i mentioned earlier in a different post, if it looks or sounds like a sport bike(even if it isnt) they will assume that it is(or they cant tell the difference between a GsxR and a gsx-S), and charge you accordingly, so buyer beware

and as always shop for insurance before purchasing a bike

It only makes around 20 less HP than the GSXR in the last few years, and the 2018 model closes that gap even more to around 10HP difference.

The wolf in sheeps clothing thing isn't really flying past the underwriters anymore.

It only makes around 20 less HP than the GSXR in the last few years, and the 2018 model closes that gap even more to around 10HP difference.

The wolf in sheeps clothing thing isn't really flying past the underwriters anymore.

Your point is moot, case in point:

Versys 1000 makes the same amount of power, and is not considered a sport bike

Aviva (Paul/Chris South) consider it a naked bike, not a ss

I just spoke to him, its a sport bike

I just spoke to him, its a sport bike

Unfortunate, I pay 1000 a year full coverage on my gsxs, was told its not a ss at the time

I have a sneaky suspicion based on the trends I've been noticing over the last year or so that this is slowly changing when it comes to the naked sector - removing a few pieces of plastic and de-tuning the engine by a few percentage points doesn't automatically make it a statistically safer motorcycle, and seeing as how the hooligans have caught onto the fact they can have their cake and eat it to via a naked bike, the insurance companies are probably beginning to notice the trends so far is accidents and claims.

Well aren't there sport, nakeds, and supersports? Like a ninjette is considered a sport as far as I'm aware in terms of insurance, but a 600cc supersport isn't going to get the same classification? A GSXS750 does seem like a sport to me, even with less plastic.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

I have a sneaky suspicion based on the trends I've been noticing over the last year or so that this is slowly changing when it comes to the naked sector - removing a few pieces of plastic and de-tuning the engine by a few percentage points doesn't automatically make it a statistically safer motorcycle, and seeing as how the hooligans have caught onto the fact they can have their cake and eat it to via a naked bike, the insurance companies are probably beginning to notice the trends so far is accidents and claims.

By that logic, the versys which is a touring bike, is also a sport bike, lets just make anything that makes over 50hp a sport bike.

After-all motorcycles by their very design are inherently dangerous,

and 80% of the planet, 250cc is considered a liter bike

They transport entire families on a 50cc scooter

Wonder how underwriters look at the diavel, vmax, m109r, afterall they too should be classified as sport bikes, right?

Last edited:
That only makes sense if 80% of the planet doesn't know how math works.

that drz you ride would be a super sport anywhere outside of NA and Eu!

So OP, if a bike makes virtually the same HP and is in essence, the same bike except the letter designation, then it should get a much lower insurance rating? So if I buy a mustang, it is made by Ford, so I should should expect it to be rated by insurance, the same as a Focus??

So OP, if a bike makes virtually the same HP and is in essence, the same bike except the letter designation, then it should get a much lower insurance rating? So if I buy a mustang, it is made by Ford, so I should should expect it to be rated by insurance, the same as a Focus??

Yes it should get a lower insurance rating, hence why the exact same car either in a coupe/4dr/hatchback has different insurance ratings. A focus compared to a mustang is a ridiculous argument. If I buy a 4 cylinder base mustang compared to the top of the line V8 mustang obviously I should be paying less insurance. Same scenario on these two bikes.

And this bike really only shares the old gixxer motor that's detuned, it's not the exact same bike...Why is the street triple not considered a ss but the Daytona is? Because they are totally different bikes, this is the same case

Last edited:
As i said, there are plenty of bikes that make tons of power, but only the SS get the bad rep, and therefore the short stick as far as insurance is concerned

I can list many

Sport or SS doesn't make a difference. Will still cost a write off to replace the bodywork on a sport bike. Besides it's all about actuarial tables. My old CBX250 was black listed when the Ninja 250 wasn't....by the same company. Only reason I could see was that the CBX was only here a year and the # of claims percentage on it were higher than the Ninja. The CBX was used by the schools back then and many were bought by newbs as their first bike.

As i said, there are plenty of bikes that make tons of power, but only the SS get the bad rep, and therefore the short stick as far as insurance is concerned

I can list many

Sure, but look at who's riding them.

Supersports tend to attract a typically risky segment of the riding population - young testosterone laden males with ego's. Yeah, not all SS owners fit that stereotype, but a huge segment do, and so the risk is high for insurance companies.

When that segment figures out that they can't afford to insure that GSXR anymore but CAN afford to insure the near-equivalent naked equivalent, well, as I said, that doesn't change the mindset of the person behind the handlebars, and it doesn't much effect the ability for them to do stupid things on a bike that is nearly the equivalent of the SS they really wanted.

So, it comes full circle to the risk stats. As the nakeds begin to attract a larger and larger share of the hooligan population, you'll see their insurance costs go up.

If every 20 year old male boy racer with a chip on his shoulder suddenly decided that Vstar 650's were the new hotness, well, I'd guess that eventually insurance on Vstar 650's would react accordingly, since the statistics would suddenly start to show all sorts of wrecks on Vstar 650's. Again, it's the person behind the handlebars making the decisions.

Power or CC's isn't always the biggest factor...again, it's that person behind the handlebars again, and the SS's attract the young high risk ones. You CAN insure a SS on the cheap - I have a friend riding a litre SS but because he's got 20 years of full M experience, a clean record, and is in his mid 40's he's paying little more than what I'm paying for my 1300CC cruiser, speaking of which I pay only $500/year for.

The Boss Hoss is a great example - it has a V8 under the tank making nearly 450HP, but an experienced rider can insure it for about (or under) $1000/year, but the insurance companies know that they sell to a very low risk segment of the riding population who are more apt to be cautious and safe riders (and can actually afford and appreciate a bike like that), hence the low cost.

Last edited:
Since I have started riding all my bikes have been considered "Sport Bikes" even though they weren't.

All my VFR's from 1986 to 2005. Insurance says Sport Bike.

Even my old VF500 they classified the same as a CBR600F4i. Bastards.

Unfortunate, I pay 1000 a year full coverage on my gsxs, was told its not a ss at the time

That's not necessarily out of line. My ZX10R costs about the same. The good: 50 year old rider (ugh), almost 30 years of experience, good driving record with no at-fault claims. The bad: Toronto-area.

I think the insurance companies are starting to take each model as it comes with whatever record that it develops over time, just as they do with cars.

I can list many

Then keep buying those bikes until the insurance rates level out.

Some have flagged it as a sport bike, some have not. Call Ron at Dalton Timmis. He hooked me up for under $1000/year and this was my first time getting insurance and only have a M2. Mine is a 2018 GSX S750.

Sure, but look at who's riding them.

Supersports tend to attract a typically risky segment of the riding population - young testosterone laden males with ego's. Yeah, not all SS owners fit that stereotype, but a huge segment do, and so the risk is high for insurance companies.

When that segment figures out that they can't afford to insure that GSXR anymore but CAN afford to insure the near-equivalent naked equivalent, well, as I said, that doesn't change the mindset of the person behind the handlebars, and it doesn't much effect the ability for them to do stupid things on a bike that is nearly the equivalent of the SS they really wanted.

So, it comes full circle to the risk stats. As the nakeds begin to attract a larger and larger share of the hooligan population, you'll see their insurance costs go up.

If every 20 year old male boy racer with a chip on his shoulder suddenly decided that Vstar 650's were the new hotness, well, I'd guess that eventually insurance on Vstar 650's would react accordingly, since the statistics would suddenly start to show all sorts of wrecks on Vstar 650's. Again, it's the person behind the handlebars making the decisions.

Power or CC's isn't always the biggest factor...again, it's that person behind the handlebars again, and the SS's attract the young high risk ones. You CAN insure a SS on the cheap - I have a friend riding a litre SS but because he's got 20 years of full M experience, a clean record, and is in his mid 40's he's paying little more than what I'm paying for my 1300CC cruiser, speaking of which I pay only $500/year for.

The Boss Hoss is a great example - it has a V8 under the tank making nearly 450HP, but an experienced rider can insure it for about (or under) $1000/year, but the insurance companies know that they sell to a very low risk segment of the riding population who are more apt to be cautious and safe riders (and can actually afford and appreciate a bike like that), hence the low cost.

If your premise that certain bikes attract immature riders is to be believed, then logically the beginner bikes should have the highest rates, since they are the ones probably statistically more likely to be involved in crashes/accidents/deaths since they are ridden by new and inexperienced riders

I would venture to say ninja 300 riders crash more than anyone, the GSX-S is fairly new and uncommon, i doubt they have much if any data on those, this is a classic case of guilt by association, simply because it shares the moniker with its popular and poorly reputed cousin GSX-R

The problem with insurance companies is that 50% of their research is based on data, and probably 50% is based on guesswork/shot in the dark, how else can someone classify a VFR as a sportsbike?

Back
Top Bottom