Going to darkside | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Going to darkside

Im going to be the first guy to ride a harley in all dianese and a full face helmet, i wonder if i will get waves from the pirate crowd or not

your a few decades late, HD has dominated flattrack racing for the last 50yrs. There has been lots of Dainese and full face lids. Oddly the last bike to give HD fits was Ducati. But once they won they went home.

alternatively, i wonder if i will get waves on my sport bike if i dress up like a pirate?

Don't agree on the paint issue - I see zero difference between the Metrics and HD when it comes to the paint finish anywhere on the bike. Both are typically impeccable.

Um, no. Run your hand over a Harley gas tank vs a Metric. The pinstripes on Harleys are hand applied and you can't feel them through the clear coat. Metric bikes use striping tape and you can feel them. Sorry, but it's the little differences that I feel makes HD the more substantial bike.

I'm not a pirate. I wear Dainese riding gear, ATGATT. A couple of HD t-shirts which I rarely wear. Last night I wore a Ducati shirt on my Harley...sacrilege!!
If you saw me in person you'd never guess I rode a Harley and I too laugh at the guys who are head-to-toe HD stuff. But it's a great motorcycle. And I've owned over 20 bikes, 16 of them Metric.

Last edited:
Im going to be the first guy to ride a harley in all dianese and a full face helmet, i wonder if i will get waves from the pirate crowd or not

[video=youtube;YriJk3RvpvQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YriJk3RvpvQ[/video]

This guy has you beat. The limited amount I've ridden my Road King has been with a full face Shoei. No plans on that changing. I like my face and I'm not a big fan of the way half helmets look.

Um, no. Run your hand over a Harley gas tank vs a Metric. The pinstripes on Harleys are hand applied and you can't feel them through the clear coat. Metric bikes use striping tape and you can feel them. Sorry, but it's the little differences that I feel makes HD the more substantial bike.

I agree it is not the same at all. Can't knock them as I do think the paint on metrics is fine though and especially at the price difference.

[video=youtube;YriJk3RvpvQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YriJk3RvpvQ[/video]

This guy has you beat. The limited amount I've ridden my Road King has been with a full face Shoei. No plans on that changing. I like my face and I'm not a big fan of the way half helmets look.

Check out RB Racing. They Run LSR at Bonneville. They have turbo kits that put out insane amounts of power. They also make beautiful exhaust systems, a little pricey though.
I do ride ocasionally with a 3/4 helmet, but only in the city. Getting hit in the face by rocks and insects hurts at 120kph!

Last edited:
I made the switch last year as well. Happy I did but it takes a bit to get used to. Do as many demo rides as you can and speak to good dealers about model selection for your requirements.

Check out RB Racing. They Run LSR at Bonneville. They have turbo kits that put out insane amounts of power. They also make beautiful exhaust systems, a little pricey though.
I do ride ocasionally with a 3/4 helmet, but only in the city. Getting hit in the face by rocks and insects hurts at 120kph!

Oh I know. That's actually the other thing about Harley's is you can build whatever you want. Like I mentioned earlier in this thread the bike I really wanted is a Road Glide so naturally I love the bike S&S put together to showcase the 143" engine they put out. 160hp, ohlins suspension, big brakes (not a fan of Harley brakes so far) the fairing, stereo and bags they come with stock...what an awesome machine for ripping around.

I need a different set of bars on the Road King but other then that I'm just going to let it be I think. If I love doing the Harley thing I'll end up building a cool Road Glide at some point.

I thought this was going to be about buying a two stroke; truly the dark side of bikes...

As a 2 stroke owner I've never heard of 2 strokes referred to as "the darkside". "Darkside" with regard to motorcycles always means running a car tire on the rear.

Somebody already mentioned Indian.

It is a shame that Victory is shutting down. The Cross Roads and Cross Country both look like nice touring bikes. You can usually find them used for much less than a comparable HD.

Buddy just bought a Switchback. I wasn't familiar with it. I like it. Not as much as a Heritage though.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

Yeah yeah, when someone mentions the word "Darkside" in the context of a motorcycle discussion most people think it's a rear tire discussion.

Isn't going to the dark side putting a car tire on a motorcycle?

Back
Top Bottom