Going to darkside | GTAMotorcycle.com

Going to darkside

Megamaniac

For most that know me I love rippin corners as much as the next guy but I have found that I am shying away from group rides and am bored rippin corners at warp speed here in onterrible and elsewhere. I think its finally time to slow down and smell the roses and get the appropriate bike for cruising and the odd weekend getaway to Pa with the wife Sooooooo

Am looking at the ROADKING and dyna switchback for the touring ability but love the HERITAGE SOFTAIL CLASSIC with that nostalgic look. I know zippo about Harleys

So to my question found a 04 heritage softail absolutely babied with 28000 km for under 8k . Is this a GOOD DEAL??????and is there any obvious issues related to that model and year??????

Geez, I was getting my popcorn maker out thinking this was a rear tire thread. I'll go put it away again.

For most that know me I love rippin corners as much as the next guy but I have found that I am shying away from group rides and am bored rippin corners at warp speed here in onterrible and elsewhere. I think its finally time to slow down and smell the roses and get the appropriate bike for cruising and the odd weekend getaway to Pa with the wife Sooooooo

Am looking at the ROADKING and dyna switchback for the touring ability but love the HERITAGE SOFTAIL CLASSIC with that nostalgic look. I know zippo about Harleys

So to my question found a 04 heritage softail absolutely babied with 28000 km for under 8k . Is this a GOOD DEAL??????and is there any obvious issues related to that model and year??????

I did the Harley thing for a few years for the same reasons, then went back to sportier bikes. Good for you for trying it out

as far as that specific model there are TONS of soft tail forums out there that have a wealth of information about the bike, a lot more than what you will find here

I won't pretend to be extremely knowledgeable about Harleys in general but most of the owners I know tend to think that pre 2006 models are less reliable. Ymmv

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Just yourself of planning any two up?

It really depends on upkeep like any bike.

Heritage ST are nice. Personally, I'd look for something with FI and the 103 engine.

I really like the Dyna SB personally. It looks good with the bags removed and windshield gone. Then put them back on if taking it out for the weekend.

RK is the way to go if two up and doing a lot of highway. Around town? It's a lot of bike to move around.

It really does depend on how the bike feels to you. None are bad to get into. And there are plenty of low mileage bikes in pristine condition. None of the choices are bad. Plenty of parts availability. Easy to work on.

For the bike you are looking at. Ask if the cam chain tensioner have been replaced. Some will have the original belt. Inspect it for tension and condition etc. Also the tires and other wear bits. Everything will look new but, it's old and might let you down without warning.

$8k for an 04? Not bad. Not great. That's seems to be the going rate.

Just keep in mind there are so many options that the same model of bike can feel completely different. A seat or handlebar change for example.

The bags in the heritage are not waterproof. And the bike looks a little funny with them removed. Just a personal opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check with me in a couple weeks. I just did this exact thing, not that I dislike sport bikes and I will have another in the future but I've wanted a Harley bagger for a little while and came across one that appealed to me so I'll give it a try and see how it goes.

If you like the Softail heritage give a look to the Road King Classic. That's what I ended up with and I'm not a huge fan of Road Kings in general appearance wise BUT the wire wheels, white wall tires and leather bags all jumped out at me and I really really like the look of the bike. My understanding is the touring bikes ride better then the softails pretty much everywhere including in town.

Ive ridden it twice for a total of about 30km's so I only really have initial impressions. Once at a walking pace you don't notice the weight, the bike is well balanced and very manouverable relatively speaking. I didn't get this same impression of a couple Japanese cruisers I rode a year or so back, I really felt the weight on those and to be honest couldn't get very comfortable with them. Power is fine, expected a dog but short shift it and the torque pulls you along very well. Yes it vibrates at an idle but really it's kind of cool and not like the jack hammer my KTM LC4 was. Smoothes out right away and you have a slight "thump" as you cruise along that is actually kind of peaceful, I wouldn't want it any smoother personally.

Thats all I got right now in terms of how they ride due to my short couple of trips. I feel like I'm probably going to enjoy it and next year jump in with both feet and buy a newer Road Glide as that's the bike I really like in the line up.

I'd make sure to get one with the newer fuel injection (I think 02 and newer) and if your looking at a bike with a higher mileage 88" engine you'll either want to find out if the cam chain tensioners are done or count on doing them at some point. Otherwise all my research has shown them to be very reliable but that isn't a first hand experience.

For what it's worth I do still have a supermoto for some stupidity. I'm not 100% sure I could live with just a Harley but with that said I can't have my supermoto as an only bike either. Opposite ends of the motorcycle world the two bikes I have but I expect it to work for me.

Oh one last thing. Coming off performance bikes, bags are about the coolest thing in the world. Instead of ramming my pockets with junk everything goes in the bags and I just ride on. Good luck on the search.

Check with me in a couple weeks. I just did this exact thing, not that I dislike sport bikes and I will have another in the future but I've wanted a Harley bagger for a little while and came across one that appealed to me so I'll give it a try and see how it goes.

If you like the Softail heritage give a look to the Road King Classic. That's what I ended up with and I'm not a huge fan of Road Kings in general appearance wise BUT the wire wheels, white wall tires and leather bags all jumped out at me and I really really like the look of the bike. My understanding is the touring bikes ride better then the softails pretty much everywhere including in town.

Ive ridden it twice for a total of about 30km's so I only really have initial impressions. Once at a walking pace you don't notice the weight, the bike is well balanced and very manouverable relatively speaking. I didn't get this same impression of a couple Japanese cruisers I rode a year or so back, I really felt the weight on those and to be honest couldn't get very comfortable with them. Power is fine, expected a dog but short shift it and the torque pulls you along very well. Yes it vibrates at an idle but really it's kind of cool and not like the jack hammer my KTM LC4 was. Smoothes out right away and you have a slight "thump" as you cruise along that is actually kind of peaceful, I wouldn't want it any smoother personally.

Thats all I got right now in terms of how they ride due to my short couple of trips. I feel like I'm probably going to enjoy it and next year jump in with both feet and buy a newer Road Glide as that's the bike I really like in the line up.

I'd make sure to get one with the newer fuel injection (I think 02 and newer) and if your looking at a bike with a higher mileage 88" engine you'll either want to find out if the cam chain tensioners are done or count on doing them at some point. Otherwise all my research has shown them to be very reliable but that isn't a first hand experience.

For what it's worth I do still have a supermoto for some stupidity. I'm not 100% sure I could live with just a Harley but with that said I can't have my supermoto as an only bike either. Opposite ends of the motorcycle world the two bikes I have but I expect it to work for me.

Oh one last thing. Coming off performance bikes, bags are about the coolest thing in the world. Instead of ramming my pockets with junk everything goes in the bags and I just ride on. Good luck on the search.
Thx for the replies folks @nakkers and black camaro you summed it up pretty well maybe I should go for a newer model. I think nakkers is right ths switchback is the best of both worlds and has the 103 , blk camaro that road king is real nice you must be stoked. Congrats.
Thx again guys see ya round

$8k is a smoking deal. As mentioned, check into the cam chain tensioners... If you find the bike underpowered afer a while (I doubt it) you could sell it for $8k again and get a newer bike.

you guys got me thinking, i missed the indian demo, but ill check out the harley one in july...losing my cruiser cherry

What is it guys dont like about Japanese cruisers?

I went the cruiser route a couple years back. I still have my sport bike, but its now track duty only.
I bought a road king classic. I love it! I also love the look of spoked wheels and whitewalls, but let me tell you they are a pain in the *** to keep clean!
I have done many trips with it since owning it. I would recommend that you get yourself something with a batwind or some type of fairing or large windshield. I bought a batwing, and it can be put on or removed in seconds. It makes the long Hwy riding much more enjoyable and less tiring.
I also got myself a passenger back rest for the girlfriend, and she loves it, makes her feel much more comfortable.
Softails are great bikes, but if you are planning to do more long trips, I would look at their touring line up.
As for the Softail you are looking at, 28000km is nothing and 8,000 seems like a good deal The 04's are good bikes.

They work well and thus have no "character"????

Ask the Ducatisti, they use the same line. But I get it. Sometimes margarine is called for. Sometimes you need butter. Brando knew.

They work well and thus have no "character"????

Ask the Ducatisti, they use the same line. But I get it. Sometimes margarine is called for. Sometimes you need butter. Brando knew.

Personally, I've been thinking about a Sportster. Yeah, it's a bit small and a girl's bike to boot. All the cracking Japanese plastic is starting to grate on my sensibility though. Beat up metal is cool. Scuffed and sagging abs not so much.

Personally, I've been thinking about a Sportster. Yeah, it's a bit small and a girl's bike to boot. All the cracking Japanese plastic is starting to grate on my sensibility though. Beat up metal is cool. Scuffed and sagging abs not so much.

I have scuffed and sagging abs but it has nothing to do with my motorcycle, more like just being a fat old guy. My wife still thinks I'm cool though if it counts.

I would buy a harley....but dropping 20 grand on those bikes always scares me away, the only moderately priced ones are sportsters and they dont have as much in the engine department

Was looking at victory as well...but they canned those

What is it guys dont like about Japanese cruisers?

I had a Suzuki C50 Boulevard with windshield and bags for a year to see if I like the cruiser style. I did, but the bike itself was uninspiring, although competant. And there were limited options for accessorizing.

Then I bought my Super Glide and saw the light! I've had it for almost 2 years & have put over 20k on it. Never a problem. Fast enough and handles well. Quick release bags and windshield. Goes from tourer to cruiser in under a minute.

They tend to vacuum $$$ out of your wallet for upgrades and accessories.

I have scuffed and sagging abs but it has nothing to do with my motorcycle, more like just being a fat old guy. My wife still thinks I'm cool though if it counts.

Ask Reddit is bound to do another "Cool Husbands, Hot Wives: What's Your Secret (SERIOUS)." That kind of magic shouldn't be hidden away. Bring joy to the world, even if it's only June.

I had a Suzuki C50 Boulevard with windshield and bags for a year to see if I like the cruiser style. I did, but the bike itself was uninspiring, although competant. Then I bought my Super Glide and saw the light!

I don't think you can really blame the Suzuki for being "uninspiring" compared to your Super Glide. Your Super Glide is nearly double the displacement! I'm betting you would have had the same reaction jumping to a Suzuki C90. I do understand that some riders genuinely get the HD bug, but your "saw the light" comment would hold more weight if you had switched from a C90 to your Super Glide and found the same night vs day difference.

I don't think you can really blame the Suzuki for being "uninspiring" compared to your Super Glide. Your Super Glide is nearly double the displacement! I'm betting you would have had the same reaction jumping to a Suzuki C90. I do understand that some riders genuinely get the HD bug, but your "saw the light" comment would hold more weight if you had switched from a C90 to your Super Glide and found the same night vs day difference.

No. The feeling and sound of a pushrod engine vs an ohc engine is incomparable. Nothing to do with power.
Also Harley chrome and paint are impeccable when compared to Metric chromed plastic and plastic bodywork.

Back
Top Bottom