Passing safety after an engine swap? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Passing safety after an engine swap?

tricky

Site Supporter
Not sure if this is a dumb question or not, but would I have any trouble passing a safety without the original engine? I'm considering putting a new Lifan motor in my CT90 project.

Not sure if this is a dumb question or not, but would I have any trouble passing a safety without the original engine? I'm considering putting a new Lifan motor in my CT90 project.

NO - the motor # isn't on the ownership.

nahhh VIN is on the frame.....as long as the tech finds no issue with what you've done it's fine

IIRC with cars it becomes a hot rod when the engine is one that was not available for the vehicle at the time of vehicle manufacture. I'm not sure what has happened to the hot rod category for cars.

As far as your bike goes I'm sure someone could make a case for giving you grief but as long as you stay away from a big block Chevy you're probably OK.

IIRC with cars it becomes a hot rod when the engine is one that was not available for the vehicle at the time of vehicle manufacture. I'm not sure what has happened to the hot rod category for cars.

As far as your bike goes I'm sure someone could make a case for giving you grief but as long as you stay away from a big block Chevy you're probably OK.

If they don't ask (which they won't), don't volunteer the information.

Doubt most people would even have a clue, and as long as it runs and moves (part of a safety is a stop from 30KPH, so it needs to be able to move under it's own power) it wouldn't make one bit of difference anyways so long as it's done right and there's no grossly obvious safety concerns.

Insurance, on the other hand, could be something to keep in mind - it would classify as a "modification" which they always ask you about. I'd be upfront about it, and as long as it's not a stupid high performance engine you're trying to stick in there it's apt to be less of a problem. Some might say to just not tell them anything at all for that matter, but I guess it comes down to your willingness to do that, and accept the risk thereof if anything ever happens. Unlikely, but hey, you never know.

Thanks everyone! If the tech gives me grief I could always put the original back in I suppose, no real hurry anyway.

Maybe a small block v8???

The Lifan is 125cc of absolute fury, looking at 8hp up from 6 on the 90cc :cool:

Insurance, on the other hand, could be something to keep in mind - it would classify as a "modification" which they always ask you about. I'd be upfront about it, and as long as it's not a stupid high performance engine you're trying to stick in there it's apt to be less of a problem. Some might say to just not tell them anything at all for that matter, but I guess it comes down to your willingness to do that, and accept the risk thereof if anything ever happens. Unlikely, but hey, you never know.

It seems to me insurance will already be the nightmare of all nightmares. Many insurers won't do vintage, and those that do won't insure it for someone under 30 (I'm 26). I figure I'll jump off that bridge when I get to it

Back
Top Bottom