Watched a dude on black bike bump start blue Gixxer on the Gard Expressway - cool | GTAMotorcycle.com

Watched a dude on black bike bump start blue Gixxer on the Gard Expressway - cool

That scares me just thinking about it. Did they think about it?

I've done the running bump start many times, I've never tried a powered push. Was he pushing with a leg or an arm?

Did I miss something? Bump starting is easy. or the fact it was on the Expressway? Enough shoulder wasn't there?

I've done the running bump start many times, I've never tried a powered push. Was he pushing with a leg or an arm?

Did I miss something? Bump starting is easy. or the fact it was on the Expressway? Enough shoulder wasn't there?

Hahah. Try bumpstarting my bike. I dare you. ;)

Had to do it once - pretty much impossible alone, you could never do it - Even in 2nd/3rd gear and slamming my *** down on the seat while dumping the clutch (to maximize rear wheel traction) it just locks the rear wheel before it even rolls over 1 cylinder. First gear? Forget it, you could tow that thing with a car up to 100KPH and it would just lock and skid the rear wheel to a stop.

Finally had 3 guys push me as fast as they could run, dumped clutch in 3rd gear while I slammed my *** on the seat and it begrudgingly rolled over 2 or 3 times (while still skidding the tire quite a lot between roll overs) and thankfully it finally fired off.

Big displacement V-Twins are not bump start friendly. ;)

thats not something one would brag about private

Everyone should at least try to bump start their bike, though the larger bikes might be difficult. I used to bump start my car on a regular basis.

I have bump started a semi more than a few times over my 20 years in the industry. Had a guy in a Chevy Tracker pull me once to get bump started. Doesn't take much, you need some air to release the brakes, some momentum, and use a really high gear, and it'll roll over no problem.

I also bump started lots of smaller motorcycles over the years.

Both of the above WAY easier than trying to bump start a 1300CC V-Twin. :D

Guess benefit of smaller lighter bikes (than cruisers) -- I've had to push start my old CBR250RA once as well as my CBR650FA. Just got up to a jogging-to-running pace alongside the bike, and dropped the clutch in 1st (2nd for the 250)...as soon as the engine catches, clutch back in, shift to neutral, and hop on the bike.

I've bump started my Moto Guzzi a couple of times in traffic (bad starter switch combined with stalled it at a light). There is a trick to it that should apply to most all bikes. My technique is almost like conumdrum above but sequence is different. In gear, clutch in -- jogging pace -- hop on and release clutch in 1st or 2nd -- engine catches, immediately clutch in and throttle to maintain RPM. The bike's momentum should be enough to turn the engine over a few times when the clutch catches.

Bloody dangerous. I'm really appreciating the kick start on my Honda. Looking into one for my Harley too. Pretty unlikely that it's needed, but one start on a deadly expressway and it pays for itself.

I tend to do some basic maintenence, saves pushing

Never done anything dumb and killed your own battery? A dead battery often has nothing to do with lack of maintenance, it has to do with a mistake. In my case, it was me leaving my radio (and satellite radio) on overnight by accident - had been parked at a motel overnight, had used the sat radio for background music, turned it down at one point, and then went to bed without turning everything off.

Bloody dangerous. I'm really appreciating the kick start on my Honda. Looking into one for my Harley too. Pretty unlikely that it's needed, but one start on a deadly expressway and it pays for itself.

Unless the engine has a compression release or the kickstart had gearing, trying to kick start a big V-Twin would be dangerous at worst (kickback could shatter your leg in the snap of a finger), but difficult to near impossible at best.

Worst I ever did was my 85 goldwing after I left the radio on. Actually started easily, getting it up to speed pushing by myself was the hard part.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

...I'm really appreciating the kick start on my Honda. Looking into one for my Harley too. Pretty unlikely that it's needed, but one start on a deadly expressway and it pays for itself.

Wut? How old is your Honda? I'd love to have a kickstarter, but they fazed them out around the early '80s. Maybe a dirt bike?

Unless the engine has a compression release or the kickstart had gearing, trying to kick start a big V-Twin would be dangerous at worst (kickback could shatter your leg in the snap of a finger), but difficult to near impossible at best.
[video=youtube;Or1qrzSSbqs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or1qrzSSbqs[/video]

If you look hard enough there is a Youtube video out there of a guy kick starting his Ducati 900ss with his hand(a 900ss Ducati actually has compression, unlike the young lady's Harley).

There is a technique to bump starting or kick starting 4 strokes. Two strokes just have at 'er.
This young lady doesn't know the trick https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWb2t8T7mX4

I will not ride a bike that I can't bump start or load in my truck by myself.
I currently ride a GS1000 with a high compression Yosh 1085 kit. I'm almost 60 and weigh about 65 kilos.

Last edited:
I guess none of you ever had a kickstart kick back on you and damned near bust your leg. I have. It doesn't happen all the time, but anyone who's had it happen to them, well...they remember it.

If you look hard enough there is a Youtube video out there of a guy kick starting his Ducati 900ss with his hand(a 900ss Ducati actually has compression, unlike the young lady's Harley).

Ummm... Ducati 900SS calls for 9.2bar of compression, which comes out to roughly 133PSI. My VTX (for one example) has a factory spec of 171PSI. A Harley 103 calls for 175PSI.

Now, things change when you throw an engine with decomp into the mix. The VTX1800 for example does have a decomp that would theoretically make things WAY easier.

big twin harleys were also kick only up to 64, then still used (factory) to 86,

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/620...tlink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=41227
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by PrivatePilot

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom