Share your fail stories of newbies starting on supersports | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Share your fail stories of newbies starting on supersports

I remember when motorcyclists were bada$sez.................now its all insurance talk and how much gear can I pile on myself at once without falling over.

no one guarantees you make it to retirement, or even to next week, if you want it, and can afford it then go for it, live a little

I remember when I thought that a lot of dumbasses were only badasses

I'm a firm believer that their are people who should never ride a motorcycle and no amount of training will change that and no I am not a pro but the absolute stupidity and lack of awareness I've seen in some riders is mind boggling...

I've also witnessed more 250 ninjas go down than any other bike.Maybe because they are popular but imho I think people tend to get complacent on them because they are smaller bikes and all you ever hear is they are "safe beginner bikes",you can end up in a world of hurt on a crf50 , just my opinion though...

Years ago I watched in my mirror a newer rider bin it on snake road(the left decreasing radius turn) on a cb450 he had just put together .A week later I saw it for sale on kijiji and thought to myself what a shame,I had spoken with him before the ride and he was so excited to be on his first group ride. I almost emailed him through kijiji to try and diswade him from selling his bike as that corner has bitten many people , but I chose not to as really it was not my business.I myself almost kissed that guardrail the first time on that road..

Anyways I have never witnessed a crash I thought was funny especially if the person was hurt

I saw one of those in my m1 exit course....short little lady, red hair, nice person, but i would hesitate to put her behind the wheel of a car, much less a bike, she dropped that little cbr125 about 4 times that course....just no sense of balance

Buddy of mine shared a VF500 Interceptor with his brother. After maybe a year he got a brand spanking new R6.

One day we are riding and he's out front, light turns yellow and he locks up the rear tire and nearly high sides it. Sheer luck saves him as he blows the red light and soars through the intersection.

When we caught up to him he was amazed how quickly the situation went south. Couldn't understand why the bike did that. ("The Interceptor never did that!")

Pretty decent example of why an SS shouldn't be a bike for a beginner.

I saw one of those in my m1 exit course....short little lady, red hair, nice person, but i would hesitate to put her behind the wheel of a car, much less a bike, she dropped that little cbr125 about 4 times that course....just no sense of balance

Hmm, didn't realize a CBR125 was classified as a Supersport.

This scenario occurred a couple times over the years:
Stopped at a light beside a SS randomly revving as if they wanted to launch on green in front of the line. On green, they stalled while I rolled away at a gradual speed xD

Did an Etobicoke riders ride where the guy on the ss decided he was going to give'er on the big curve.
Unfortunately, we catch up to a car in front.
Not to be deterred, he pulls out to pass on the blind corner.
Sure enough, there's a car coming the other way, and RULE NUMBER ONE, comes into play, as the two cars move onto the shoulder, to allow the bike to narrowly squeeze between.
After that, I don't go on as many anonymous group rides, as I don't want to have to scrape people off the pavement.

Hmm, didn't realize a CBR125 was classified as a Supersport.

This scenario occurred a couple times over the years:
Stopped at a light beside a SS randomly revving as if they wanted to launch on green in front of the line. On green, they stalled while I rolled away at a gradual speed xD
It's even more fun when they filtered to the front.

I just want to clarify what my point was with my post.

While a super sport is probably not an ideal first bike for most a person who has zero anticipation skills, doesn't shoulder check , and is totally oblivious to what is going on around them in traffic WILL GET HURT ON ANY BIKE

My first street bike was an 88 slingshot, all of my bikes have been sportbikes /superbikes with 1 exception being an 03 z1000 . I just bought an 83 gpz550 (love it btw) however I don't feel "safer" on it and it's a 60 hp machine and I think around 460 lbs

... however I don't feel "safer" on it and it's a 60 hp machine and I think around 460 lbs

of course not, you already have experience with the sensitive controls of a SS.

Though it can work backwards too. I has a few 750s, one being a Gixxer when I bought my first 250. First time I took it on a test ride, I underestimated it's braking capability. I was used to much better brakes. After the first application, my mind reset to it's lesser potential and I was fine. But that first grab of the brakes was a surprise.

I shared this one earlier in another thread:

I was out practicing my Demo riding, and doing exactly 80 in an 80 zone (semi residential area).
Coming around a big curve, with four other vehicles and then a supersport.
The road widens to two lanes each way and a centre turn lane, just after the curve.
Motorcycle decides he's not going to wait, pulls out to pass around the curve.
No traffic so he's good that way, and going HTA172 speeds at this point.
One thing he forgot about was that centre turn lane, and if the truck right behind me, hadn't seen him at the last minute, there would have been a T-boning.
Anyways, he flies by, I steer over into the right lane, and pull up beside him at the red light, with the train of cars all pulling into the right turn lane.
He didn't save any time at all, and almost exchanged delta-v with a pickup.

Is it the adrenaline rush? Impatience?
How much should these people pay for insurance, compared to those who take less risk?
Which are the worst risks?

I suppose this will be moot, once the insurance companies successfully lobby to have full tracking data in vehicles, and use of that data to calculate rates.

Ontario insurance rates don't "let" people start on a SS anyway. In some states yeah a 18 year old an insurance an R1 for 80/month. They would just laugh at you here.

Ontario insurance rates don't "let" people start on a SS anyway. In some states yeah a 18 year old an insurance an R1 for 80/month. They would just laugh at you here.

it really seems hit and miss sometimes.. .I know a noob rider (45yrs+) 1 month old M1 licence on a GSXR750 and he's paying $1300 / yr!!!!! Downtown Toronto. I am like "WTF???!!"

it really seems hit and miss sometimes.. .I know a noob rider (45yrs+) 1 month old M1 licence on a GSXR750 and he's paying $1300 / yr!!!!! Downtown Toronto. I am like "WTF???!!"

Thats gonna go well

Keep us informed

Bruh, I been riding for a decade and I can't get that rate

I just want to clarify what my point was with my post.

While a super sport is probably not an ideal first bike for most a person who has zero anticipation skills, doesn't shoulder check , and is totally oblivious to what is going on around them in traffic WILL GET HURT ON ANY BIKE

My first street bike was an 88 slingshot, all of my bikes have been sportbikes /superbikes with 1 exception being an 03 z1000 . I just bought an 83 gpz550 (love it btw) however I don't feel "safer" on it and it's a 60 hp machine and I think around 460 lbs

You don't have to feel safer, you just have to ride safer. You can get into a lot less stupid delta-v situations on a smaller non ss bike.

Started on a 2003 600rr, first ride around my neighborhood. Got to a T intersection with a stop sign...stopped very nicely and wanted to make a left turn. NOPE! She didn't want to turn so I just went straight into someone's driveway. There were kids around so didn't want to look like a total tool, so took off the helmet and pretended that I meant to do that and talked on the phone. So yea, you live and learn. Remember kids, it's always important to appear cool and in control ;)

Saw a girl drop her bike 13x (!!!) in the M1-M2 Course... astonishing...

As long as they don't do it during testing. Demonstrate on demand. Pass the standard

Started on a FZ750 (decal that said "pure sport" made it even more legit). I'd like to think that I can ride, but agree not everyone should. I also have a gf that never rode on the street, started w a 600 on the track and she is quick!

Win stories?

Last edited:
Posted this elsewhere but coworker brought his brand new, lowered R6 to work a while back. Told me to take it for a rip. Didn't really want to as the last time I rode a sportbike, I kept stalling it, but that was before I had starting riding regularly.
So I decided wtf and hopped on. 2 gears and 150km/h later in the back of the work parking lot and I almost $#!+ myself. Say what you want, but I am a slow and steady type of guy.
Rolled it back to him, and got back on my Shadow and did 70 the whole way home.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

Back
Top Bottom