Sport bike Insurance | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sport bike Insurance

Danzo337

Is it even possible to get insurance on a sport bike these days in Ontario? Been trying to get just a quote for a GSXR 600 with no luck here. I've been getting rejected just by naming the bike.

I'm a 32 male with a 10+ year clean driving record. Just moved out of the city to the boonies, figured this would finally be the time to fulfill my teenage Dreams of riding.

I'm being told to go directly to my current broker and work it out with him, but other than that option, is there anything else?

How long have you had your M?

Under 35 (or so) and anything less than a full M (not M1/M2) for <5 years and yes, sportbike insurance is exponentially more difficult. >40 with 5-10 years of clean full M and it's not that hard.

Your G class record means nothing for M class insurance, and although your location is beneficial (look at the link in my signature), if you're effectively a new rider it isn't going to make a whole lot of difference.

You could choose a lesser/different style bike and get on 2 wheels for a whole lot less than a Gixxer600.

Last edited:
You must be new, usually over 30, helps

Moving out of the GTA also helps

I'm surprised, usually instead of rejecting you they just give you a ridiculously high quote if they dont want your business

You can always go facility...but that wont be cheap either.

Yep, I'm new - This is the new Rider section right?

I got an m2 currently, which probably has something to do with it.

I thought the 30+ was a big factor regardless - the whole maturity thing.

I understand that it's two completely different things, just didn't think it'd be like this where they don't even give me an option.

Every agent has told me the same story so far, that it's hard in Ontario currently because of the amount of claims coming in and it's been getting more and more strict every year - with specific bikes now getting blacklisted even.

Personally, I'm very aware of how dangerous the exposure is, not wanting to ride it to be a speed demon either but I guess the intentions on my ownership has no say in the matter of 600cc sport bike operation.

As for riding another style of bike, well, if I'm paying for it, I might as well get what I actually want. I've been hard pressed about the crotch rocket life.
There's just something about the 600cc sport bikes.

I avoided riding in my 20's (had a track car), but I feel like I'm mature enough now to respect the motorcycle enough to actually ride one.

Last edited:
Are you starting on a 600 SS?

M2 to M makes nearly no difference. Time with insurance does.

Insurance seems to equate time with insurance with experience...which makes sense because many riders smash themselves into the hospital wearing flip flops, t-shirts in the first year

.....when you add a really strong motor to that, the results are even worse =P

Last edited:
Lol.....your teenage dream eh?? While being older helps being a noob doesn't. You should have got your license as a teen and just sat on it if you had actual aspirations to ride. Start on a non SS 500-600cc and work your way up from there. You've got to put in your time on 2 wheels and pay to play...maturity might help with not doing stupid things but it doesn't actually make you a better rider/make you handle a powerful bike any better. Especially in an emergency situation.

Last edited:
If you're willing to reconsider your choice of bike, buy a 600-750cc cruiser instead. At your age with a clean record and an M2 (and you really should consider taking the safety course, many insurers *require* it now) you should be able to get insured with relative ease for the $100/month (probably less) range.

It's the choice of bike that's killing you. After you've had the cruiser for a few years accident and claims free things will be much easier for the sport bike, if you still want it.

油井緋色;2503716 said:
Are you starting on a 600 SS?

M2 to M makes nearly no difference. Time with insurance does.

Insurance seems to equate time with insurance with experience...which makes sense because many riders smash themselves into the hospital wearing flip flops, t-shirts in the first year

.....when you add a really strong motor to that, the results are even worse =P

Interesting....i thought M2 to M made a difference...

Regardless, i suppose time with insurance makes sense

I don't know how you guys are having so much trouble... call TD; you'll pay around $3200/yr provided you have a clean record. If you have a less than clean record, you're probably boned. Also, if this is your first bike, your first year of riding is literally multiples of what you'd pay in following years... most guys get the fastest thing they can afford, dump it and **** themselves up in the first year, and make an insurance claim which is why rates are priced the way they are... if you get past your first year, you should be okay.

In my case, I'm 26, single, live essentially downtown, and ride an SS. I have a clean record and had my M2 since 2013 and I'm coming back from a 2yr hiatus from riding. I think my rate is perfectly reasonable given my profile... To contrast, State Farm quoted me 10k per year to insure my bike; both the broker and I had a good laugh about it lol.

Also, if you can't get your GSXR insured for some reason, just sell it, get an SV650, and have fun with it for a year or so until you stop spooking insurance companies. The SV will be more than enough bike, and perfectly capable of scaring the **** out of a new rider. It definitely did out of me when I first got started.

There's an SV for sale right now on the forum iirc

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

Back
Top Bottom