650 Vstar Cold weather start issue | GTAMotorcycle.com

650 Vstar Cold weather start issue

Maxdar

Site Supporter
My 2007 Vstar 650 Classic will start rough when temp drops. Early morning or after sunset for example. Battery, plug, stator and pickup coil are new.

If not starting in neutral, I noticed if I pop up to 2nd gear it will grind to a start and then it's all good. Once warmed up, no issue restarting.

Saw a thread with similar issue and final resolution was a relay under the seat. When cold it would not work. I lost the thread and I did not catch which relay was the final issue.

How could I find which one and is there a way to test before replacing?

One of these? @theassassin
24 5KS-81950-00-00 RELAY ASSY (5KS-00) 1 63.97
25 1UY-81950-92-00 RELAY ASSY (1UY-92) 1 63.80
26 5FU-82560-50-00 THERMO SWITCH ASSY 1 49.07
27 29U-81950-93-00 RELAY ASSY(ACA12115-1) 1 64.45

Last edited:
You're not really being clear on the issue.

When you say "start rough", what exactly do you mean? Is it very slow to crank, or does it crank fine but doesn't run right when it's cold until it warms up a little?

The only possible difference I can imagine in how it starts using a different gear would be that the clutch is pulled in when you're starting it that way? That would remove a bit of drag from the drivetrain potentially and possibly make it crank a bit faster, but again, I really need to understand the entire issue a bit better first. It could be something as simple as a battery that's on it's last legs.

You're not really being clear on the issue.

When you say "start rough", what exactly do you mean? Is it very slow to crank, or does it crank fine but doesn't run right when it's cold until it warms up a little?

The only possible difference I can imagine in how it starts using a different gear would be that the clutch is pulled in when you're starting it that way? That would remove a bit of drag from the drivetrain potentially and possibly make it crank a bit faster, but again, I really need to understand the entire issue a bit better first. It could be something as simple as a battery that's on it's last legs.

By rough I mean sounds like this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_fBU4AVz5U Then in 2nd it starts, but pitch "lowers" then picks up to normal. Runs fine once warm.

Not battery, it's new. Stator is new & charging too.

You're correct with Clutch pulled in, but doesn't feel like drag is less than a neutral start, if anything, I feel a slight pull forward as it starts.

No fuel or no ignition. Plenty of crank there.

Have you checked that the enrichener (choke) is actually working? The fact that it starts just fine after it's warm but becomes problematic again once the engine cools down (or is cold) would lead me to think that it's just an issue with the choke not actually choking.

That's the simplest place to start, and go from there.

No fuel or no ignition. Plenty of crank there.

Have you checked that the enrichener (choke) is actually working? The fact that it starts just fine after it's warm but becomes problematic again once the engine cools down (or is cold) would lead me to think that it's just an issue with the choke not actually choking.

That's the simplest place to start, and go from there.

Nope, choke works and fuel flows too. Can hear the difference with choke out and smell fuel after a few min of trying. I don't start in Nuetral too long now, as it kills the battery and I feel like that is how the Pickup coils may have been fried.

Check your fuel pump and the fuel pump relay.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

So, if you're smelling fuel, it's probably flooding with the choke on and the extended cranking.

Next thing to do would be to check that it actually has strong spark at the plugs. When you did all the work on the ignition did you replace them as well?

And was it your starting problems that brought on all the work (stator, battery, pickup coil etc) I presume?

So, if you're smelling fuel, it's probably flooding with the choke on and the extended cranking.

Next thing to do would be to check that it actually has strong spark at the plugs. When you did all the work on the ignition did you replace them as well?

And was it your starting problems that brought on all the work (stator, battery, pickup coil etc) I presume?

Plugs are new, but not sure about a strong spark during at the time of issue. Once warm, spark is good and off I go.

Initial issue was starting, then got progressively worse until Pick coils got fried.... then a year long calamity of crazy bad choices(mechanic & non-oem parts). Work is all done properly now, but original issue is lurking, Rather not ignore and blow another stator.

If cold in the morning I will try to test the spark.

Back
Top Bottom